• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mail transport to some domains fails...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Mail transport to some domains fails... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mail transport to some domains fails... - 6.Oct.2000 10:29:00 PM   
One of my smtp servers (E2K) can successfully send mail to just about any domain on the internet. I have this one very frustrating problem. Whenever I try sending to one particular domain name it finds the server but then indicates that the "remote server did not respond to a connection attempt". I am able to send mail to this "suspect" domain from ANY of the non-E2K smtp servers in our environment. I have ruled out DNS and networking troubles and have talked with the administrator of the remote domain. We agree that it is something on my E2K server causing the problem but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the problem is.

Installing a different SMTP server on the same system results in successful sending of mail to the domain in question. Reinstalling E2K results in an inability to successfully send mail to that domain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Darren Sproat

Post #: 1
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 19.Oct.2000 3:45:00 PM   
Mohsin

Darren,

If you find a resolve to this specific issue please apprise me. I'll really be gratified.

mohsin@tracedata.com

quote:
Originally posted by Darren Sproat:
One of my smtp servers (E2K) can successfully send mail to just about any domain on the internet. I have this one very frustrating problem. Whenever I try sending to one particular domain name it finds the server but then indicates that the "remote server did not respond to a connection attempt". I am able to send mail to this "suspect" domain from ANY of the non-E2K smtp servers in our environment. I have ruled out DNS and networking troubles and have talked with the administrator of the remote domain. We agree that it is something on my E2K server causing the problem but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the problem is.

Installing a different SMTP server on the same system results in successful sending of mail to the domain in question. Reinstalling E2K results in an inability to successfully send mail to that domain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Darren Sproat

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 20.Oct.2000 8:26:00 AM   
Dub

I have experienced the same problem exactly. I have found more than one domain that I cannot send to.

Again if you find a solution I would appreciate a cc

dub1@bigfoot.com

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 3
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 13.Jan.2001 7:03:00 PM   
freddie

IŠve hade the same problem.

Go to the property-window for the SMTP-virtualserver - Delivery - Advanced - Configure (external DNS). Clear out all the entries. This problem could occur if the recipient server is a "post-office"-server and You have different DNSs on the Exchange and the NIC.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 3.Oct.2001 9:05:00 PM   
You might also want to look at thread under:

"Exchange 2k won't deliver mail to loudeye.com"

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 5
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 5.Oct.2001 12:09:00 AM   
robert

Usually when this happens it is not an exchange server problem. This maybe or a dns problem, and like freddie said clear the dns cache and try to nslookup yourself manually from the exchange server machine the MX record of the mentioned domain, or else try telnetting their server (if you telnet via ip it is better than the DNS name) and check that the connection is fine and try to send a mail manually via telnet.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 6
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 5.Oct.2001 1:54:00 PM   
But what about where connection is made but fails while using XEXCH50 due to 554 Unknown response code?

Exchange 2000 connects to Exchange 5.5
Courtesies are exchanged.
Exchange 2000 indicates desire to use XEXCH50
Exchange 5.5 says go ahead and 354 send binary data.
Then after 4+ minutes Exchange 5.5 times out with 554 Unknown Response Code?
This is not isolated incident.
Common denominator is Exchange 5.5.
It is at SP4 'more or less out of the box'
Exchange 5.5 server has no other communication problems - only XEXCH50 from Exchange 2000.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 7
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 6.Oct.2001 10:30:00 AM   
liamorford

Have you tried to open a telnet session to the server in question ie
"telnet smtpserver.com 25"
to see if the session is initated
From the telnet seesion you should be able to type HELO or EHELO (whatever your running) to get a response. Type quit to close the session.

I just sounds like a problem I have been happening, and no I don't have a fix yet!

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 8.Oct.2001 1:54:00 PM   
Liam -
Unable to follow your suggestion.
I am at Exchnage 5.5 end.
However, per our logs, connection is established (see below)
Exchange 2000 sites have yet to provide me with their end of the exchange.
2000 site issues EHLO to which 5.5 site responds.
200 site then says it has mail - i.e we have 'session' up and running. It is not until 2000 initiates XEXCH50 and 5.5 responds with 'send binary' that things fail.

Sample session between 2000 and 5.5 - from 5.5 end...

9/27/01 7:17:10 AM : A connection was accepted from ABC.DEF.
9/27/01 7:17:10 AM : <<< EHLO exchange2k.xyz.com
9/27/01 7:17:10 AM : >>> 250-exchange55.aaa Hello [ABC.DEF]
250-XEXCH50
250-HELP
250-ETRN
250-DSN
250-SIZE 0
250-AUTH LOGIN
250 AUTH=LOGIN
9/27/01 7:17:11 AM : <<< MAIL FROM:<someone@xyz.com>
9/27/01 7:17:11 AM : >>> 250 OK - mail from <someone@xyz.com>
9/27/01 7:17:11 AM : <<< RCPT TO:<anyone@ourdomain.com>
9/27/01 7:17:11 AM : >>> 250 OK - Recipient <anyone@ourdomain.com>
9/27/01 7:17:11 AM : <<< XEXCH50 1848 2
9/27/01 7:17:11 AM : >>> 354 Send binary data
9/27/01 7:21:34 AM : >>> 554 Unknown response code!?!

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 9
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 6.Nov.2001 2:58:00 AM   
Hi fellows,
You might want to take a look at this article at http://www.win2000mag.com/articles/print.cfm?articleid=21536.
Hopes it helps.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 10
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 8.Nov.2001 12:13:00 AM   
skylab212

yeah i can say this is right:
Go to the property-window for the SMTP-virtualserver - Delivery - Advanced - Configure (external DNS). Clear out all the entries. This problem could occur if the recipient server is a "post-office"-server and You have different DNSs on the Exchange and the NIC.

I have all root hints on my DNS server on and all is working ok, our ISA server and exchange use them to resolve DNS. Its all working now.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 11
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 8.Nov.2001 11:45:00 AM   
Please can you help me,

I have an ISA server, DNS server and Exchange 2000 server all running on 3 Win2K servers. We have a leased line from a ISP which goes to a CISCO router then to the ISA server which connects to my LAN. My ISP has a DNS setting which uses my ISA as the mail exchanger and my ISA has a rule which forwards all SMTP to my Exchange server which has Exchange service pack 1. My DNS works correctly so this is not a problem. I have being getting mail problems with people sending to me and me sending out. Can you please suggest anything?

quote:
Originally posted by Hudson:
yeah i can say this is right:

I have all root hints on my DNS server on and all is working ok, our ISA server and exchange use them to resolve DNS. Its all working now.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 12
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 27.Nov.2001 2:13:00 PM   
Just posting in order to move this up with other similar threads...

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 13
RE: Mail transport to some domains fails... - 12.Dec.2001 10:27:00 PM   
Sorry, just posting in order to get this up with companion thread...

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Mail transport to some domains fails... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter