• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mailbox Migration - Store Size

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Mailbox Migration - Store Size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mailbox Migration - Store Size - 16.Jun.2006 4:32:30 PM   
zoe

I am in the middle of migrating mailboxes from one exchange server to another.  The store database sizes have not decreased in size on the old server after moving numerous mailboxes off of them.

Why is this?  For a number of reasons, I need the store databases to decrease in size on the old server while the store databases on the new exchange server would obviously increase in size.

Is their any way for this to happen?

Thanks...
Post #: 1
RE: Mailbox Migration - Store Size - 16.Jun.2006 4:54:41 PM   
uemurad

There are two reasons:

1.  The database files (EDB and STM) do not shrink because of deleted messages or moved mailboxes.  They leave behind white space that newly stored messages can use.  In order to physically shrink the files, you have to perform an offline defrag.

2.  Because of Single Instance Storage, moving messages may not free up space even after performing an offline defrag.  For example, User A and User B receive a message from you.  In the database files, the message is only stored once and each mailbox points to it.  When User A deletes the message, User B is still pointing to it and the physical space is still taken.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to zoe)
Post #: 2
RE: Mailbox Migration - Store Size - 16.Jun.2006 5:10:26 PM   
zoe

Thanks for Feedback.

I just thought of another way of doing this without any outage.  Since I have multiple stores that I am working with, I was thinking of migrating all mailboxes off one store at a time.  With all mailboxes migrated off a store, I could then dismount it and delete it thus freeing up space on the old server.

Would their be any issues with doing this?

Thanks Again...

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Mailbox Migration - Store Size - 16.Jun.2006 8:16:48 PM   
pjhutch

No, you should be able to do that, just make sure users can logon to their new mailboxes when migration is done.

(in reply to zoe)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Mailbox Migration - Store Size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter