• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mailbox Move - event id 8506

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Mailbox Move - event id 8506 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mailbox Move - event id 8506 - 31.Mar.2009 11:20:33 AM   
m1ck99

I recently run a mailbox move from ADUC. As it previously showed that there were corrupt items. I submitted it allowing a maximum of 5 corrupt items

According to the fault report the mailbox move was successful. The event logs actually reports that the mailbox move was successful

However, the mailbox has moved but with substantial less email. When I investigated this on the Exchange 2003 server I found the following error

MSExchangeIS Mailbox
EventID: 8506

“unable to move mailbox …. A problem occurred while getting the properties for a message”

Does anyone know why the mailbox move claimed to be successful while only moving a minority of messages?

Where are the messages that had not moved?  Is it possible to restore the messages?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Mailbox Move - event id 8506 - 31.Mar.2009 12:57:43 PM   
uemurad

Rather than get into the reasons of why it reported one thing and did another, I want to discuss the bad messages.

Are you certain that the bad messages are worth the trouble of keeping?  You're talking about a lot of effort to possibly restore a malformed spam message.

One method I've used to identify bad messages is using ExMerge.  ExMerge is also sensitive to corrupted messages.  When a mailbox refuses to move, I'll configure the exmerge.ini file for the highest level of logging.  Running ExMerge will then report the subject line of the messages it can't move, which then presents an opportunity to decide what to do with them.

This of course creates its own set of limitations.  For example, PST files created by ExMerge cannot exceed 2GB, so mailboxes larger than that will have to be dealt with accordingly.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to m1ck99)
Post #: 2
RE: Mailbox Move - event id 8506 - 7.Apr.2009 5:55:32 AM   
gladone

uemurad thanks for the information. U can exmerge mails based on the date for example from jan to april, april to june ... with this u can exmerge mailboxes which exceed 2 GB

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Mailbox Move - event id 8506 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter