• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Message tracking

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Message tracking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Message tracking - 21.Aug.2011 10:32:46 AM   
Pav

Hi,

I hope I'm in a right place. I'm a novice admin and need bit of a help on messgae tracking. One of my clients using Win Server 2003 SBS (SP2). My client has couple of old receipent email addresses and want get statistics on how frequently the old email domains are being used to receive emails. i.e, for example old receipent email addresses are like @abc.com and @def.com and current one would be @xyz.com. I need to find how often @abc.com and @def.com are receiving emails?
Have checked reg keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<Component Name>\Diagnostics - Default value is not set

Can any one please help with my query?

thanks

Pav
Post #: 1
RE: Message tracking - 21.Aug.2011 11:02:09 AM   
Gulab

By Default Message Tracking is not enabled in Exchange 2003. You can enable it, Properties of Server and Check the BOX, "Enable Message Tracking"

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to Pav)
Post #: 2
RE: Message tracking - 21.Aug.2011 11:28:48 AM   
Pav

Thanks for the reply Gulab. On server properties I can't find the option you've mentioned. All I found in Server properties are General, Object and Security. I'm I supposed to look at Exchange Server Manager, as it's a SBS(AD and Exchange sitting on same server)? FYI-domain function level is 2000 native and forest functional level Windows 2000 (Not sure if this helps). Only one DC available and due for upgrade and client wants’ to know about old recipient email addresses. Would you be able to provide me a bit of detailed explanation such as where to go and what to do please?

Thanks

Pav

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 3
RE: Message tracking - 21.Aug.2011 11:31:26 AM   
Gulab

I Hope you are doing it in Exchange System Manager!

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger

(in reply to Pav)
Post #: 4
RE: Message tracking - 21.Aug.2011 11:47:06 AM   
Pav

Sorry, I meant to say Exchange System Manager. Under Tools, I can Message Tracking Center, but I can't see any where to enable.
Can you please assist?

Thanks
Pav

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 5
RE: Message tracking - 21.Aug.2011 11:49:49 AM   
Gulab

Check this article
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Message-Tracking-Logging.html

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger

(in reply to Pav)
Post #: 6
RE: Message tracking - 21.Aug.2011 12:27:21 PM   
Pav

Thanks a lot for the article Gulab. I realized that message tracking was already enabled (at least 99 log files will be available as remove files older than option was set to 99 days) and obviously each log file has heaps of data in C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\SERVER.log folder. As per my original post, as I'm not after particular sender, I'm after statistics on how frequently the old recipient emails addresses are being used to receive emails. I tried to filter through Message Tracking Center, but I couldn’t. Tried to put old recipient address in recipient field or Sender field but not recognizing. Even tried using current recipient address as well with no success.
Can you please advice how to filter a log a file as article doesn’t explain?

Thanks
Pav

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 7
RE: Message tracking - 21.Aug.2011 12:36:04 PM   
Gulab

You can't achieve what you are trying by filtering the logfile. you won;t get anything from Log file.
Message tracking is the only option you have.

Are you trying get the old information (message tracking)?

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger

(in reply to Pav)
Post #: 8
RE: Message tracking - 21.Aug.2011 12:58:22 PM   
Pav

Not old informatiom. As per my orginal post, I'm trying to get the below information. For example Client's current recipient email address is @xyz.com. Client has couple of old receipent email addresses, like @abc.com and @def.com. Obviously any emails that are send to old receipent email addresses are redirecting to current receipent email address. I need to find how often @abc.com and @def.com are receiving emails?
Will you be able to assist with this?

Thanks
Pav

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 9
RE: Message tracking - 23.Aug.2011 8:28:50 AM   
Pav

Hi,

Any one know the solution to my query?

Thanks
Pav

(in reply to Pav)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Message tracking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter