• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Messages sit in Outbox after migration to Exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Messages sit in Outbox after migration to Exchange Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Messages sit in Outbox after migration to Exchange - 7.Jan.2009 11:06:51 AM   
wjlabs

Hi,

I'm kind of new to Exchange, so any help here is appreciated.
I migrated a few mailboxes for one of my users from a different MTA (Zimbra) to Exchange 2003 Standard edition. The procedure that I followed consisted basically in:
- creating a PST of each user's mailbox from Outlook in the old mail (Zimbra) system
- import the PST into their Exchange account through Outlook in the new Exchange system.

I tried using ExMerge to import the PST files into the Exchange mailboxes, but ExMerge would fail every time because the PSTs were originally created using Outlook 2003 and I believe ExMerge is a tool that was developed for Exchange 5.5. and Outlook 2000, so some of the formating changes introduced in Outlook 2003 cause it to generate errors when working with PST files in that format.

The problem that I'm seeing now is that when users try to forward or reply to old messages, the messages just sit in the Outbox. This does NOT happen with new messages received after the migration.
I have made sure that the messages are being sent to valid addresses, that there's nothing wrong with the message, that the communication between client and server is ok.
I enabled logging in Outlook and here's what I get

2009.01.07 10:49:02 Outlook Address Book: Synch operation started (flags = 00000001)
2009.01.07 10:49:02 Outlook Address Book: UploadItems: 1 messages to send
2009.01.07 10:49:02 HELPER::Initialize called
2009.01.07 10:49:02 Initializing: Finding a Transport
2009.01.07 10:49:02 Initializing: Didn't find any good transport, Error code = 0x800c8101
2009.01.07 10:49:02 HELPER::Uninitialize called
2009.01.07 10:49:02 Outlook Address Book: PutCallback::ReportStatus: In order to not to stamp it with next account, we set hrStatus MAPI_E_USER_CANCEL. (ulAsynchPhase = RSF_ABORTED) .
2009.01.07 10:49:02 Outlook Address Book: ReportStatus: RSF_ABORTED, hr = 0x80040113
2009.01.07 10:49:02 Outlook Address Book: Synch operation completed

As you can probably see, these clients are connecting using RPC over HTTPS.

Note the "Didn't find any good transport, Error code = 0x800c8101" error. I'm not sure why the Address Book shows here trying to sync and failing.

I found a work around by creating a secondary (dummy) email address. This makes it possible to choose the account that the message is being sent from. In the case of old messages, when I try to reply or forward, they show that they will be sent from "the Zimbra collaboration server." When I click on the accounts button and choose the Exchange account and hit send, the message goes out without problem. What this indicates is that since the messages were originally sent TO this account in another server, Outlook is trying to send FROM that account. This behavior is normal when you are using differing email addresses, but in this case it's all the same domain and the same email addresses. The only aspect that is different is the server platform before and after the move.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I give enough details.
Post #: 1
RE: Messages sit in Outbox after migration to Exchange - 9.Jan.2009 12:44:36 PM   
ravisha_22

Try this article: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2004/07/21/189966.aspx

Ravishankar

(in reply to wjlabs)
Post #: 2
RE: Messages sit in Outbox after migration to Exchange - 15.Jan.2009 6:01:37 PM   
wjlabs

I'll try using admodify as suggested in the link that you sent and I'll update the post here. This is the second suggestion about X500 that I received regarding this issue, so I think it's time to try. Thanks for the link.

(in reply to ravisha_22)
Post #: 3
RE: Messages sit in Outbox after migration to Exchange - 17.Jan.2009 3:00:32 PM   
wjlabs

I followed the link provided, but I'm still stuck.
In the link, the person providing the solution started with this assumption:

"If you open one of the email messages it will look normal. If you get the outlook properties of one of the senders of an old message you’ll note that all of the fields are blank except the Display Name. It will have an X500 address in it, which looks like:

/O=COMPANY/OU=DALLAS/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=TESTUSER. If you open a new message and type in TESTUSER or grab test user from the address book and look at the outlook properties you will see the fields populated and the Display Name will look normal."

In my case, when open an email message and look at the Outlook properties of the sender, the full name, email, and display name fields are populated with the correct data. So I don't see the LDAP scheme mentioned in the reference here. So I can't really create an X500 address.

Just an additional piece of info. When I display all the fields for the sender, in the All Mail Fields section the E-Mail Account field has the name of the account in the old server (in this case since it was a Zimbra server, it say Zimbra Collaboration Server).
Not sure if this that relevant here, but I think this is part of the issues.

(in reply to ravisha_22)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Messages sit in Outbox after migration to Exchange Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter