• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Migrate Exchange from 1 server to another

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Migrate Exchange from 1 server to another Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Migrate Exchange from 1 server to another - 15.Aug.2006 9:44:25 AM   
NaasN

Ok Here is the Scenario:

I have a current Exchange server 2000 Standard which is also the PDC. The hardware is quite old and HDD space is running out. Also due to the 16GB limit of Exch 200 Standard I need to move the exchange to a new server.

At this stage I have these two servers. I will name the current exchange & PDC exchange1 and the new server Exchange2.

Exchange1:
Active Dir: PDC (Global Catalog Server)
Exchange: Exchange 2000 Standard (SP3)

Exchange 2:
Active Dir: BDC (Global Catalog Server)
Exchange: Exchange 2000 Enterprise (SP3) also a new installation.

Both servers are configured and on the same site with the same settings. Exchange 2 is functioning with no problems. I am now at the stage were I need to transfer all private and public mailboxes.

Obviously all mailboxes is stored on Exchange1 and need to be transferred to Exchange2 which needs to become the primary domain controller and primary exchange server. I tested a mailbox move by transferring the mailbox through active directory exchange task move function, which was a success.

Although it would be easier if I can do this in one go and not a manual and individual process. All mailboxes is on Exchange1 information store and can not be exported to a new exchange server because the mailboxes do not exist on exchange2 information store.

Exchange2 installation was installed as new exchange and did not give me the option to install as additional exchange. Lastly, Exchange1 and Exchange2 is in the same site.

My questions are:
1. What roles need to be transferred to Exchange2 and how?
2. What is the easiest, safest, fastest way of transferring all exchange functionality to exchange2?
3. Any other suggestions?

Post #: 1
RE: Migrate Exchange from 1 server to another - 15.Aug.2006 8:14:06 PM   
jassyca

My questions are:
1. What roles need to be transferred to Exchange2 and how?
I won't swear this is everything but, aside from mailboxes (which you obviously know about) you need to make sure Exchange2 has the offline address book, the recipient update service and an internet connector (so it can deliver messages externally). Also look at your firewall rules: ie, change them so inbound SMTP is sent to Exchange2's IP address instead of Exchange1 and so that Exchange2 is allowed to send SMTP outbound.

2. What is the easiest, safest, fastest way of transferring all exchange functionality to exchange2?
Safest way is to use Exchange System Manager. To my mind, that's more important than easiest and/or fastest. So I'd happily sacrifice a whole weekend if that's what it takes to move everything safely even if there's ways to do the same thing more quickly. I'd just rather not have all my users screaming for my blood.

(in reply to NaasN)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Migrate Exchange from 1 server to another Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter