• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware - 21.Apr.2003 4:48:00 PM   
DKelsey

I have found no shortage of information on how to migrate from Exch. 5.5 to Exch. 2k. However, we are trying to migrate an existing 2k server to new hardware and have been challenged finidng the MS prescribed or endorsed method.

I apologize because I have to believe I'm just looking to hard and not seeing what surely is right in front of my nose, but does anyone have experience with this? Is there a "best practice" or KB document that describes how best to do this? Does anyone have any caveats for me?

All I was able to find was some MS document saying that we should do a system state backup and then restore to the new hardware--but that's the stuff nightmares are made of.

Any help/feedback/direciton would be great.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware - 22.Apr.2003 12:02:00 PM   
Fluffball

Are you planing on building the new server with the same name ?

Or will this server co-exist with the old server ?

I have a never seen a 'Microsoft way' on moving Exchagne databases around. I am suspecting they would endorse 2 servers co-exisiting and moving mailboxes between them.

Otherwise, you are looking at doing a E2k disaster recovery scenario, just restoring to new hardware.

[ April 22, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Fluffball ]

(in reply to DKelsey)
Post #: 2
RE: Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware - 22.Apr.2003 1:09:00 PM   
DKelsey

We can't afford redundant servers and don't have an Exhcange cluster to work with. We do plan to name the server the same way, but have not really found a great analysis of how best to proceed. The server rotation is part of our hardware rotation, so they won't co-exist for more than a few hours and I'd rather not have to rely on prolonging that if there is a feasible alternative.

(in reply to DKelsey)
Post #: 3
RE: Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware - 22.Apr.2003 8:46:00 PM   
jaredselvin

DBoogie
Do you have a temporary spare server? The best way to migrate and keep the same name is the 'swing' server method.
Here are some articles. The last article details the Swing method. Hope this helps.

Q259912: Prerequisites for Upgrading Exchange Server 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Server
Q242991: Exchange Server 5.5 SP3 Schema Changes for Exchange 2000 Server
Q259712: Upgrading to Exchange 2000--the Move Mailbox Method
Q264879: Upgrading to Exchange 2000--the Swing Upgrade Method

(in reply to DKelsey)
Post #: 4
RE: Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware - 25.Apr.2003 2:21:00 AM   
I think i am in the same situation as you are. I just awant to migrate my exchange server from one w2k machine to another one and then take the first one down permanantly. From what i see all we have is the 5.5 to e2k migration procedure. May be someone has done the e2k to e2k migration and can give some tips.

steve k.

(in reply to DKelsey)
  Post #: 5
RE: Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware - 25.Apr.2003 5:44:00 PM   
dougt

I am in the process of moving our Exchange 2000 Server from one server to a new server with a different name. I used the following topic and MS KB article:

Setup new Exchange Server
MS KB Article: How to Remove 1st Exchange Server

1. Install Exchange on your new server. (I didn't to run Forestprep or domainprep from the new server)
2. Use AD Computer & Users to move the mailboxes from the old server to the new server. (This part can take a long time anywhere from 2 - 5 minutes per mailbox.) After the move, the Outlook client will see that the mailbox has moved to the new server. We had to change the DNS mail record to point to the ip of the new server to get the Outlook Web to work correctly.
3. Follow instructions on KB article 307917 mentioned above. (This is where I am and hope to finish up this weekend.)

(in reply to DKelsey)
Post #: 6
RE: Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware - 25.Apr.2003 10:26:00 PM   
If i change the DNS to have server1 point to server2, will that redirect the users properly? Or do the have to access the mail server by it's proper name?

thakns,
steve

(in reply to DKelsey)
  Post #: 7
RE: Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware - 25.Apr.2003 10:59:00 PM   
dougt

Steve,

Our firewall pointed to our old Exchange Server. After installing the new Exchange Server, users were still able to check their e-mail from Outlook without me having to do anything. After they logged in and opened Outlook, you could look at the account and the server would show the new server along with their mailbox.

We went ahead and changed the firewall to point to the IP of our new server and changed the MX record in DNS to point to the new server as well.

My next step is to "rehome" public, system folders, Address books, etc... I am a little confused on rehoming the system folders that look like they are Information Store specific. I posted this under another topic but have not received a response yet.

Everything appears to work fine but I haven't taken the 1st Exchange server out of the domain yet.

Hope this helps.

Doug

(in reply to DKelsey)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Migrate Existing 2k Server to New Hardware Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter