• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Move File Share Witness

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Move File Share Witness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Move File Share Witness - 5.Aug.2014 1:31:14 AM   
stanyb4

Hi all,
we would like to move the file share witness from our 2 DAG member Exchange 2010 environment from server fswA to server fswB.
The file share witness is not on an Exchange server, in fact it was installed on our BES server, which is out of Production, and keeps running only for the Exchange FSW.
I followed steps in http://www.msexchange.org/kbase/ExchangeServerTips/ExchangeServer2010/HighAvailability/MoveFileShareWitnessFSW.html but it seems that this doesn't work in our environment.
Does anybody have tips for moving the FSW?
thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Move File Share Witness - 5.Aug.2014 3:11:48 PM   
de.blackman

The command below from the link you posted should work:

Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -Identity DAG01 | Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -WitnessServer ServerName

What errors do you get when you try to change the FSW?

What I usually do is as follows:

1. On the new server that will host the FSW, add the Exchange trusted subsystem to the local administrators group
2. Create a new folder on the server and assign NTFS permissions to the exchange DAG nodes as well as the DAG name with full control. I do not remove any of the default permissions
3. Run the following command to set the new FSW:

[PS] C:\>Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup DAGNAME -WitnessServer SERVERNAME -WitnessDirectory Drive:\FOLDERNAME

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to stanyb4)
Post #: 2
RE: Move File Share Witness - 10.Aug.2014 4:01:59 PM   
stanyb4

Hi,
I just saw your reply. Was thinking I should receive a warning.
First of all thanks.
I ran the commands in June, at the moment we may not do any changes in our environment. I didn't get any errors. The commands looked to have ran perfectly but when checking the DAG config, nothing was changed.
I'll keep your commands in mind, and will check with the bosses when we can try again, probably this will be in the middle of september.
I'll keep you informed.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Move File Share Witness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter