• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Move to C: Drive

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Move to C: Drive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Move to C: Drive - 8.Oct.2005 1:39:38 PM   
49thnorth

All,
This is a fantastic forum and I would like to thank all of the contributors that post here for there excellent advice. This forum has helped me many times in the past.

I would like to move my Exchange 03 installation from the current D: drive (SAN drive) to the C: drive. And then place the stores back on the D: drive. The reason is simply if the SAN fails I would like to have the ability to restore the stores and then point the exchange to the restored location. Can I un-install after a complete backup and then use the /disasterrecovery switch to do this (changing the installation directory). What I have read tells me I beleive no. What would be the best way to tackle this challenge?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Post #: 1
RE: Move to C: Drive - 9.Oct.2005 12:18:13 PM   
mark@mvps.org

That statement about the SAN failing is possibly the maddest I've seen all day. Your business can't afford a SAN failure, and if your SAN does fail you will have more to worry about than getting simply Exchange up and running.

I would get a grip on your priorities here. If you have issues or possible concerns with your SAN you should fix it, rather than wonder about ways around it.

If you have built your Exchange server properly you won't have space on your C drives to start email services anyway.

If you do choose this course of action then you would uninstall and reinstall properly. Uninstalling the Exchange means that the /disasterrecovery switch is not available to you because the objects need to be recreated in AD again.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to 49thnorth)
Post #: 2
RE: Move to C: Drive - 13.Nov.2005 9:47:39 PM   
49thnorth

Thanks Mark for your reply! I appologize for not getting back on this. I agree with you on the buisness not affording a SAN failure, the problem is that is exactly what we experienced and the reasoning behind my post.

I have been an I.T. administrator for going on 14 years and had never seen a raid 5 system fail. Seen many drives fail but never two drives an hour apart fail in the same array. I am sure there are some on this forum who no doubt have though. The SAN in question is an HP fiber channel unit approx 1 1/2 years old and the drives failed an hour apart. It occured early on a Saturday morning following a weekly full backup. Pretty much completely freaked me out when I drove in to see two drives with the red failure lights lit.

Anyways, after placing a call to HP support and running down the list with an excellent support representative we both determined that indeed both drives had completely failed. I installed our spare drives, rebuilt the array, re-installed exchange and restored the stores etc...

Following this ordeal, I looked at the possible reasons for the failure as best I could. Two of the main things I looked at were:
  • Overheating - I suspected this first, however with a temp probe borrowed from engineering placed on, in and around the SAN for the week following nothing came up. (The morning I arrived the AC for the server room was running fine as well).
  • Power - The SAN is connected with one other server to a UPS. The model is a HP r3000 XR. The load on the unit has never exceeded two bars and in looking at the logs nothing showed. A battery test showed nothing out of the ordinary as well.

The SAN contains the companys shared data drives, user drives and the exchange system. I do defrag the data shares weekly as part of a maintenance schedule, as well as defrag the Exchange stores. Could this be to much activity for the drives? Any suggestions or improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Last I have always based our in-house disaster recovery arround a physical server failure not array failures per say. So the question regarding exchange repositoned on the C: drive with just the stores placed on the D: drive (SAN drive) I thought was valid. However, maybe I am wrong in that respect.

Sorry for the long post.

C

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Move to C: Drive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter