• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

My public folder replication disaster

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> My public folder replication disaster Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My public folder replication disaster - 23.May2008 1:04:45 AM   
blum81

Ok I have to throw up the white flag and I need help from the experts.  Here's the story..

We've recently purchased a new server and I was going to do the steps to move the original server as mentioned in the tutorials.  After following that I came across a few roadblocks regarding the public folders.

Server1 is the original server.  Server2 is the new one. After a clean install of exchange on Server2, with a default public store, I added Server2 to all the folders and replication tabs on Server1.  Now that should have replicated the folders over to Server2 but the folders never showed up.  On Server2, the offline folders, OAB folders, and schedule+ system folders are missing. 

For the actual folders, what I did is created a PST and copied all the data over from Server1, and imported that data to Server2.  There isn't much content in the public folders so I figure that would be the easiest way.

I've tried the following MS articles and both did not work.

How to reset system folders in Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822444/

Schedule+ Free/Busy system folder is missing
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284200/

What I also tried is dismounting the public store, renaming it, remounting which caused the creation of a new information store.  I was hoping that would recreate the system folders/freebusy/offline stuff but it didn't.  Then I read somewhere that it had to be done manually so I repeated the above MS articles, no luck.

So.. right now in this mess I have 'half-migrated' it set up as the following.

Server1 still hosts:
Offline Address Lists
Recipient Update Services

Server2 now hosts:
All mailboxes
Webmail
Public Folders, but missing freebusy/OAB items/offline address book.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction on where I should start on getting the freebusy/oab/offline address book successfully moved over to server 2?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 24.May2008 7:10:18 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

First thing i would suggest you to run Exbpa tool - www.exbpa.com (you can download it) and run it and see there.

2nd thing install windows support tool and then open ADSIEDIT.msc => Configuration partition => Services => Microsoft Exchange => Organization => Administrative Group = Right click your administrative group and then click on properteis and see for the value = site folder Server - to which public folder server it is pointing.

Are you getting any logs generated in the applicaiton log.

4) Expand Exchange System Manager => Right root public folder and select system folder  = Are you able to see OAB if so could you please let us which are folders are you able to there and under sub-folders.

If you are able to see there then check whether new server is being added under replication tab.

(in reply to blum81)
Post #: 2
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 24.May2008 3:25:54 PM   
Sembee

What you failed to do is work out why the replication is failing.
Public Folder replication goes across SMTP. Therefore it is very easy for it to be blocked. For example a smart host on the SMTP virtual server will cause replication to fail. AV software can also block the replication traffic.

The thing is - if public folder replication isn't working correctly then there is a good chance that inter-server email traffic will not work either, because that uses SMTP as well.

Use message tracking to see what Exchange is doing with the message. That will show the delivery and receipt of the messages and confirm it is being delivered to the store.

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP
Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
Web: http://www.amset.info/
In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/
Exchange Resources: http://exbpa.com/

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 26.May2008 1:44:05 PM   
blum81

quote:

ORIGINAL: ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

First thing i would suggest you to run Exbpa tool - www.exbpa.com (you can download it) and run it and see there.

2nd thing install windows support tool and then open ADSIEDIT.msc => Configuration partition => Services => Microsoft Exchange => Organization => Administrative Group = Right click your administrative group and then click on properteis and see for the value = site folder Server - to which public folder server it is pointing.

Are you getting any logs generated in the applicaiton log.

4) Expand Exchange System Manager => Right root public folder and select system folder  = Are you able to see OAB if so could you please let us which are folders are you able to there and under sub-folders.

If you are able to see there then check whether new server is being added under replication tab.

Hello ismail.mohammed,

Thank you for your reply.  I've ran the adsiedit.msc and it appears that the sitefolderserver is pointing to the old exchange server of SERVER1.  Does this mean that the exchange environment considers SERVER1 as the primary public folder store?  Whats odd is that all outlook clients are looking at the public folders that are store on SERVER2.  Should this sitefolderserver be changed to point to SERVER2?

This is what I have for server 1 under the system folders.

For server 2 under system folders

Just by the looks of it, server1 is still carrying the OAB, as well as the Schedule+ because there are no entries in SERVER2. 

Any ideas?

Post #: 4
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 26.May2008 1:48:23 PM   
blum81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sembee

What you failed to do is work out why the replication is failing.
Public Folder replication goes across SMTP. Therefore it is very easy for it to be blocked. For example a smart host on the SMTP virtual server will cause replication to fail. AV software can also block the replication traffic.

The thing is - if public folder replication isn't working correctly then there is a good chance that inter-server email traffic will not work either, because that uses SMTP as well.

Use message tracking to see what Exchange is doing with the message. That will show the delivery and receipt of the messages and confirm it is being delivered to the store.

Simon.

Hello Simon,  thank you for your reply.  I've checked both servers for smart hosts and both servers do not have any listed.  I've also tested internal emails from one email server to the other internally and those are being sent and received successfully.  With email being sent and received internally fine, i would have thought replication would have worked as well.....?

Is there anything I have to do to enable the public folders to use SMTP or should it just work if internal email works?

(in reply to Sembee)
Post #: 5
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 26.May2008 5:37:15 PM   
Sembee

There is nothing that you have to enable for replication, it should just work. That is why message tracking on both the old and the new server is so important. The replication traffic will show in message tracking and you can confirm that the replication traffic is being generated, delivered, received and then delivered to the store. I have seen where internal email worked, but replication traffic was being rejected. It was only with message tracking that I was able to confirm there was a problem with the new server.

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP

(in reply to blum81)
Post #: 6
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 26.May2008 5:49:07 PM   
blum81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sembee

There is nothing that you have to enable for replication, it should just work. That is why message tracking on both the old and the new server is so important. The replication traffic will show in message tracking and you can confirm that the replication traffic is being generated, delivered, received and then delivered to the store. I have seen where internal email worked, but replication traffic was being rejected. It was only with message tracking that I was able to confirm there was a problem with the new server.

Simon.

Just an update:

I've enabled logging on both servers according to the tutorial on this website and I can now see whats happening on server1, but there doesn't seem to be any activity on server2.

After I do the resend changes from the old server to the new server, I do get a bunch of  3017, 3018, and 3019 messages in the event log on SERVER1.  SERVER2 has no activity in the event log regarding replication. 

After searching the message tracking on SERVER1, the message tracker has multiple subjects with 'status request', each are listed ending with 'Message transferred to SERVER1.domain.com through SMTP'.  Now, that should mean it's routing ok off SERVER1 right?

SERVER2 has the same 'status request' emails, sender is SERVER1 but each message states:

smtp:  message submitted to Advanced Queuing
smtp:  started message submission ot advanced queue
smtp:  message submitted to categorizer
smtp:  message categorized and queued for Routing
smtp:  message queued for local delivery

after that, there's no other action done... 

With that said.... I think that's where I'm stuck..  Are there any settings that I'm missing?

BTW: Server 2 does not have an AV on it, and there are no smarthosts on either server.

< Message edited by blum81 -- 26.May2008 5:50:08 PM >

(in reply to Sembee)
Post #: 7
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 27.May2008 6:27:58 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi sembhee,

Can we rehome the site folder server to the new server? what is your thought on this?

hi blum,

Have you created one test folder on Server2 and check the replication status?

(in reply to blum81)
Post #: 8
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 27.May2008 12:16:25 PM   
blum81

quote:

ORIGINAL: ismail.mohammed

hi sembhee,

Can we rehome the site folder server to the new server? what is your thought on this?

hi blum,

Have you created one test folder on Server2 and check the replication status?

Hello ismail.mohammed,

I've created a test folder on SERVER2, added SERVER1 on the replication tab and it has not replicated to SERVER1.  I've checked the message tracking on SERVER2 and it does not appear to have any messages relating to replication.  I'm starting to think the problem is with SERVER2 on receiving and sending replication as SERVER1 appears to have the right message tracking items...

Your idea of rehoming the public folders on SERVER1 to SERVER2, I've thought about that but wouldn't that cause a conflict since the server names are different?  If it's not, would that also rehome the OAB, Free-busy, Schedule+?

Again guys I appreciate your help.  Looks like were starting to make a bit of progress here :)

Post #: 9
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 27.May2008 1:00:30 PM   
blum81

One other piece of information that I should add is our our SMTP is set up since replication relies on it.

Right now we have a 3rd party relay server which all email goes in and out of.  I had to create a routing group connector which has SERVER2 as the local bridgehead, and the option 'Forward all mail through this connector to the follow smart host' is selected, and pointing to the relay server.  Could this be causing a problem?  I know that many have mentioned to check the smart hosts for each server but what about the smart host for a routing group connector?

(in reply to blum81)
Post #: 10
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 27.May2008 1:24:32 PM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

my first suggestion in this case would be run exbpa tool (www.exbpa.com) and follow the recommendation
please run this tool on both servers.

Then follow this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842273

(in reply to blum81)
Post #: 11
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 27.May2008 1:30:38 PM   
Sembee

Routing Group Connectors should not have any external machines listed in them. Only SMTP connectors can have smart hosts listed in them.

Replication traffic should show a delivery of the email from the first server to second server. Likewise message tracking should show the messages coming in and then being delivered to the store. Replication traffic is easy to spot - SERVERNAME-IS will be in the address.

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP

Post #: 12
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 27.May2008 2:57:53 PM   
blum81

Hey guys.  Good news!  Looks like i figured out the replication problem.

The 'integrated windows authentication' checkbox on each server was not checked off.  Once I checked them off for both servers, replication started, and all folders including system folders were replicated!!

I'd like to thank you guys for your help.  I wouldn't know where to start if it weren't for you guys!

Cheers!

(in reply to Sembee)
Post #: 13
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 6.Apr.2009 5:15:36 AM   
MSGUser1

Hi, I'm experiencing exactly the same issue with public folders not replicating.  Can you specify where you enabled the "integrated authentication" permission on each server.

Many Thanks

(in reply to blum81)
Post #: 14
RE: My public folder replication disaster - 6.Apr.2009 10:54:33 AM   
blum81

I can't remember exactly but I believe it was in the SMTP area for each server.  It's been a while since this issue happened but I do remember that once I enabled changed the smtp setting, replication immediately fixed itself.

hope that helps.

(in reply to MSGUser1)
Post #: 15

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> My public folder replication disaster Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter