• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Name could not be resolved

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Name could not be resolved Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Name could not be resolved - 24.Jan.2006 4:35:18 PM   
pooorboy

I have just installed Server 2003 and exchange 2003 in a VMWare Virtual machine. I also have a windows XP client installed as well. Logins work, there are no errors reported in the event logs. DNS seems to be operating just fine in respect to name resolution. When I start Outlook on the XP client, I keep getting the message that the name could not be resolved. I am using the admin account. I have checked and made sure that the admin account has a email address. I have also tried using outlook express. POP3 does not work as well. I have reinstalled everything and I am still unable to get the exchange to work. I can telnet to the smtp port and that works. Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Name could not be resolved - 24.Jan.2006 4:46:11 PM   
de.blackman

reboot the global catalog in your environment.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to pooorboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Name could not be resolved - 24.Jan.2006 7:10:31 PM   
pooorboy

The exchange server is the the only Server. I have rebooted. POP3 is now working. The service was disabled.The mailbox is now created.I am still unable to connect with Outlook though

< Message edited by pooorboy -- 24.Jan.2006 7:55:05 PM >

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: Name could not be resolved - 24.Jan.2006 7:57:44 PM   
de.blackman

So outlook profile is created but users cannot open outlook? What is the message they are getting?
Can they access their mailbox using OWA? As an administrator, can you create an outlook profile and send an email to the user in question?

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to pooorboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Name could not be resolved - 24.Jan.2006 9:11:00 PM   
pooorboy

No profiles have been completed. When creating a profile I enter the server name and the users mailbox (administrator), I then click on check name. The message that comes up is The name could be resolved. The action can not be completed.I was able to use outlook express and send and receive email that way.From the client I tried nslookup exchange (name of server) and it came back fine. The client is a part of the domain.I have not tried owa. What is the default address of OWA? I am not sure if it was installed or not.

Post #: 5
RE: Name could not be resolved - 25.Jan.2006 4:37:12 AM   
tushar

if you are unable to resolve your checkname guarnateee it is an issue with your Global Catalog Server.

Goto -AD Sites and Services - Server - NTDS Settings - right click and check if the GC checkbox is checked.

Also, about your question about OWA. You can access your mailbox account from

http://localhost/exchange/username OR http://ip address of your exchange server/exchange/username.

(in reply to pooorboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Name could not be resolved - 25.Jan.2006 5:40:13 AM   
pooorboy

Yes, the global catalog is checked.OWA does not work at those addresses.I tried installing Outlook 2002 and the error code it gave me was 9004010f

(in reply to tushar)
Post #: 7
RE: Name could not be resolved - 25.Jan.2006 6:38:19 PM   
de.blackman

That error code you are getting on Outlook XP (2002) is to do with the installation. It can be fixed by opening outlook in safe mode (from run, type Outlook.exe /safe). Even though there is no profile, select YES to open default location. Go to Help and Detect & repair. Select the "discard custom settings" checkbox and use the CD to repair outlook.

When you type http://exchangeservername/exchange, what happens?
Also go back into AD Sites and Services - Server - NTDS Settings - right click and in the drop-down list, select the default query. There is usually one.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to pooorboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Name could not be resolved - 6.Mar.2006 11:55:59 AM   
De_Sint

Hi

I have the same problem here. Running 6 servers and one workstation on VMware 5.5.
Two DC's, file server, isa, web and a Exchange server on 2003 system and XP pro client.
All computers running in a domain.

When i deployed office2003 on a client, and want to register the user mailbox in outlook2003 i get the same 'name could not be resolved. the action could not be completed.'

In owa the user can be registered and can mail to other users. So all seems fine when working in OWA.
But not in outlook2003.

Does anybody has an answer here????

marco

Post #: 9
RE: Name could not be resolved - 6.Mar.2006 12:10:37 PM   
fatgrass2006

Is your WinXP PC using a static IP address like 192.168.0.x or are your DC's providing the address via DHCP.

If the address is provided via DHCP have you configured the scope options to ensure the DNS and default gateway is provided with the ip address.

Try manually configuring a static IP for the WinXP client and include the default gateway, DNS server, WINS (if relevant) -  then try to ping the exchange server and do a tracert to the other servers.

I am using Vmware GSX server with 1 DC, 1 exchange 2003 and 1 relay smtp server and 1 WinXP client....seems to be configured ok but I am unable to receive email (can send internal and external ok with outlook2003/web client)

(in reply to De_Sint)
Post #: 10
RE: Name could not be resolved - 6.Mar.2006 12:36:55 PM   
De_Sint

Hi Fatgrass

I just tried your idea, but still no succes.
Manual configured the xp client ip,dns,gateway, but upon outlook mailbox registration the message still appears.

Marco

(in reply to fatgrass2006)
Post #: 11
RE: Name could not be resolved - 6.Mar.2006 12:44:33 PM   
fatgrass2006

Is your internal DNS configured correctly for name resolution?
Do your servers have (A) records and (PTR) records in DNS?

The Windows XP PC - in TCPIP properties, Advanced, DNS include DNS suffix for this connection: (place your internal domain - abc.com) and put a tick in Register this connections address in DNS

Keep the static settings as per pervious post.

Then try to ping the DC, exchange server and other server by name - seems you might have a problem with DNS?

(in reply to De_Sint)
Post #: 12
RE: Name could not be resolved - 6.Mar.2006 1:36:59 PM   
De_Sint

Hi fatgrass

So far I can see the DNS is correctly configured.
I have the A and the reverse lookup zones correct in the DNS server. Even an MX record.

I've placed the DNS suffix by hand and have hold the TCP/IP manually
When I ping all servers are recognised.

So far so good, but I still cannot register the mailbox in outlook2003.
Normally when outlook finds the mailserver it underlines it. Same with the user name.
It doesn’t do it on server and name recognition here.

There isn’t anything written in the eventlogs either.

Post #: 13
RE: Name could not be resolved - 6.Mar.2006 2:01:37 PM   
fatgrass2006

try to input the ip address instead of the name of the exchange server?

(in reply to De_Sint)
Post #: 14
RE: Name could not be resolved - 6.Mar.2006 2:10:16 PM   
De_Sint

still no luck
We must be running low on options.

If even no registration takes place on ip name, is it likely that he cannot resolve username in the GC.
Its so strange that OWA works..

Marco

Post #: 15
RE: Name could not be resolved - 6.Mar.2006 5:48:22 PM   
de.blackman

What happens when you type the GC name instead of the exchange server name when creating a profile? Can you ping both GC and exchange?

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to De_Sint)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Name could not be resolved Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter