• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

New Static IP -- What Next?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> New Static IP -- What Next? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Static IP -- What Next? - 3.Oct.2008 11:58:54 AM   
bankrboy30

Obtained a static IP this morning -- setup the external network and all is OK.  Updated my DNS records for mail.mydomain.com, smtp.mydomain.com left my MX record as is since it points to mail.mydomain.com and that has already been re-directed to the new static IP

Removed the Dynamic DNS client from the server and deleted Dynamic DNS entries at my ISP's site

Called my ISP and requested they establish a reverse DNS entry for us as the IP currently resolves to resolves to ool-6039133e.static.optonline.

Once they make that change and the record populates (this is a PTR record I believe) I am hoping we will be able to send mail directly to recipient via DNS (no longer flipping mail to a smart host)

I deleted the old SMTP connectors and ran the CEICW so that evrything is all newly configured and restarted the server as well.

We are receiving mail already.  Is there anything I am missing that I need to do in order to send mail?  Also the name of the mail server is not the same as our FQDN, though that is listed correctly in the protocol setup for SMTP but I am concerned that it may not resolve correctly because the actual server name is different. 

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Post #: 1
RE: New Static IP -- What Next? - 3.Oct.2008 1:29:38 PM   
Exchange_Geek

Every setting looks good - as long as the MX record is set up correctly including PTR records.

The FQDN of the Exchange server should be correctly mentioned below.

(in reply to bankrboy30)
Post #: 2
RE: New Static IP -- What Next? - 3.Oct.2008 3:52:13 PM   
bankrboy30

Thank you.  I was really sweating the FQDN not matching the Server name issue.  Thought I might have to take the server down this weekend to rename it.  I have the correct info in the field you took the screen shot of so I should be OK.  Now its just a matter of waiting for my ISP to set up that PTR record and I'll do some final testing.  We are already getting mail out to certain domains (those that do not perform rDNS lookups I guess.  Hopefully the rest will come online once that PTR is created.

Thanks Again!!

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 3
RE: New Static IP -- What Next? - 4.Oct.2008 9:36:18 PM   
bankrboy30

So it took my ISP nearly all day to create a PTR for me but as soon as that puppy posted, my queues empty out and all my outgoing mail finally got delivered.  Thanks again for you help / advice.

Now I'm off to find a spam solution.  I've been using IMF until now since some was already scrubbed via my old host, but now that I am fully responsible I think I will have to find something to compliment the IMF strategy because my users still get a fair amount of spam.

(in reply to bankrboy30)
Post #: 4
RE: New Static IP -- What Next? - 5.Oct.2008 12:07:43 PM   
Exchange_Geek

Glad to have helped you solve the issue.

(in reply to bankrboy30)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> New Static IP -- What Next? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter