• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Not receiving mail on one of 2 domains

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Not receiving mail on one of 2 domains Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not receiving mail on one of 2 domains - 12.Aug.2011 2:05:20 AM   
aldoman

I've inherited an Exchange server running on SBS 2003. This server is supposed to be receiving mail via standard incoming SMTP for 2 domains, for the sake of this discussion let's call them abcltd.com and xyzltd.com.

The server was first set up with a local AD domain abc.local. It was first associated with the external domain abcltd.com. I'm told incoming mail worked fine up to "about 8 months ago" for that domain. However, incoming mail is no longer working for that domain.

At some point, the second domain xyzltd.com was added to the Exchange server. Incoming mail via that domain is working fine at this time.

I've been using the convenient testexchangeconnectivity.com site to test incoming SMTP mail.

There are some complications in mail routing to the server. There are 2 separate internet connections at the office, with a separate router for each. However, connectivity seems to be set up correctly: DNS MX records are correct, SMTP port 25 forwarding is set correctly to the server.

I was able to install the NetMon 3.4 packet sniffer on the server. SMTP traffic reaches the server during tests on both the domains. For the successful domain xyzltd.com, the capture log shows a standard SMTP conversation, interacting with inetinfo (which I understand hosts the Exchange SMTP Virtual Server) on the server. This is confirmed by activity in the Exchange server SMTP log.

For tests to the unsuccessful abcltd.com domain, the capture log shows fewer packets, and none of them interact with inetinfo. No activity is logged in the Exchange SMTP log.

My understanding from other Exchange 2003 installations supporting multiple domains is, to make them work all you need to do is:

1. Make sure DNS MX records are correct
  2. Make sure routers etc. are set up so incoming traffic can reach the server
  3. Add the new domain to an appropriate Recipient Policy
  4. Apply the Recipient Policy
  5. Check for new SMTP addresses for recipients, add if necessary
This all appears to have been set correctly in this case.

My thinking at this point is, there is either a problem with Exchange configuration, or another process running on the server is causing interference.

The SBS installation seems fairly "vanilla", in a single-homed (not dual-homed) configuration. I've looked at server NIC settings and SMTP Virtual Server properties, I don't see anything that would cause incoming traffic for one domain to work, but the other to fail.

RRAS is not running on the SBS server. I don't see any 3rd party firewall or routing software installed (other than as noted below).

Symantec Endpoint Protection is running on the server. However, its firewall is not configured to do anything special. I have also tested with it turned off, that had no effect.

A "MailArchiva" mail archiving server is installed and running on the SBS server, but it does not appear to have ever been configured. I have also tested with its service stopped, that also had no effect.

At this point I'm stumped. All I can think to try is to remove abcltd.com from Recipient Policy, update, then add it back in again in the hopes that this may cure any weirdness deep in Exchange's bowels. I'm a little reluctant to do that, in case it causes issues with Active Directory, seeing as that domain is the one associated with the original installation of the SBS server. Can anyone advise about this?

Also, before doing that, can anyone advise about any obscure Exchange settings that could be checked or tweaked, or SBS settings that could be causing this issue?
Post #: 1
RE: Not receiving mail on one of 2 domains - 12.Aug.2011 1:58:25 PM   
thomas_symantec

Not sure if this will help, but make sure you have followed the Best Practices for Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) on Windows Servers -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH92440&locale=en_US

Cheers,
Thomas

(in reply to aldoman)
Post #: 2
RE: Not receiving mail on one of 2 domains - 12.Aug.2011 4:55:08 PM   
aldoman

Thomas, thanks for your reply.

I reviewed the Symantec paper you referenced. It looks like just the SEP client is installed on this server. That raises a bigger question, where is the SEPM? As I said earlier, I "inherited" this because of a falling out with a previous IT support company. Is there any way, from a client SEP installation, to tell the location of the SEPM "mothership"?

Interestingly, the SEP Network Threat Protection - Traffic Log also sniffs/logs traffic. According to that log, incoming SMTP traffic for both the successful and unsuccessful tests are "allowed", and are being handled by inetinfo. That implies a problem with the Exchange SMTP virtual server, or some other Exchange configuration issue.

(in reply to thomas_symantec)
Post #: 3
RE: Not receiving mail on one of 2 domains - 30.Aug.2011 9:38:24 AM   
thomas_symantec

To find out the name and IP address of the Endpoint Manager, run the SEP support tool, found in the help area of the Agent GUI or from the link below. The report should list a line item that states "The Client can communicate....". Open that line and you will see the manager information that you need.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH105414&locale=en_US

Let me know if you have any other questions about SEP.

Regards,
Thomas

(in reply to aldoman)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Not receiving mail on one of 2 domains Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter