• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA missing contact in GAL

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA missing contact in GAL Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA missing contact in GAL - 1.Sep.2011 11:51:16 AM   
deang

I am not 100% sure if this is an OWA issue or Exchange 2010 issue, but I am starting here since I see the problem in OWA. This is a brand new install of Exchange 2010, not an upgrade. All network servers were switched from Novell to Windows about a month ago. Windows 2008 has been kept current with updates & service packs.

In OWA when a user goes to create a message, they click the TO: and sees a list of the addresses in the domain, the Global Address List. It was discovered some people are missing from the list, but if you search for them they show up. Everyone is missing contacts in the Ls, it spreads a few in to the Ks and Ms as well. I am only seeing this in OWA, I can see the everyone in the Outlook Client.

What I have tried so far. In the Exchange Management Shell I have run
Get-GlobalAddressList | update-GlobalAdressList
Get-AddressList | update-AddressList
Get-OfflineAddressBook | Update-OfflineAddressBook

I have also compared the properties in Active Directory Users & Computers as well as in Exchange Management Console of the missing contact with one who is not missing to see if there are any differences, I did not see anything different.

These missing contacts have not been hidden from the address list.

Thought there might be a space in the alias, checked them over and there are no blank spaces. Even deleted what was there and double check there were no blank spaces, re-entered the name and that did not turn out to be the problem.

Looking for ideas on what to try next.
Thanks, Dean
Post #: 1
RE: OWA missing contact in GAL - 1.Sep.2011 11:54:37 AM   
smithp5

Check the status of your Global Catalog servers. I saw an issue like this recently and it was due to two new GC's being built which had not fully replicated. We unchecked them as GCs and the GAL was updated almost immediately.

(in reply to deang)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA missing contact in GAL - 1.Sep.2011 3:49:22 PM   
deang

Thank you for the suggestion, I will give that a try tomorrow morning.

(in reply to smithp5)
Post #: 3
RE: OWA missing contact in GAL - 2.Sep.2011 10:17:14 AM   
deang

Smithp5,
Were there two domain controllers you turned off GC in the same domain? Once it was turned off did you leave it turned off?

Dean

(in reply to deang)
Post #: 4
RE: OWA missing contact in GAL - 6.Sep.2011 11:38:41 AM   
deang

I have turned off Global Catalog on one of the two domain controllers we have a couple days ago and the address list still has not updated.

Still open to suggestions.

(in reply to deang)
Post #: 5
RE: OWA missing contact in GAL - 29.Sep.2011 2:41:27 PM   
deang

I ended up calling Microsoft Exchange support and I have to say not a very good experience. I felt the person on the other end was not very knowledgeable at all. After two phone calls totaling about ten hours he finally ran the issue up to the senior exchange support person and found out this issue I am seeing is a known bug in the system. I asked if I could see the document that was getting referenced and I was told it was an internal/classified company document. And yes he was well aware I found the document to be classifed to be very funny. He added the issue would be fixed in version 15 which he though was due out late next year. If it's fixed in that version I will be amazed.

(in reply to deang)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA missing contact in GAL Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter