• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA won't load on Frond End Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA won't load on Frond End Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 10.Feb.2003 1:50:00 PM   
prolixin

Hello!

I have a Exchange server (standard edition) and have just added a new exchange server which i've promoted to be a front-end server for dealing with OWA.

The front-end server stands in my DMZ on my firewall, i have added a policy that allows trafic between trusted and DMZ zones.

Accessing OWA from the Back-End Server works fine but it wont work from the front-end server. I have disabled Information Store on the Front-End server, but when im checking out the Exchange virutal directory in IIS manager it says "Error" and the directory is linked to M:/MBX etc. I guess this must be wrong, and i have changed it to Exchserv/Exchweb/bin and subdirs of /bin. But that didn't help either, im getting a 404 file not found error after entering username and password. I know the authentification isnt a problem, because this works fine when going to the server without the /Exchange (virutal dir).

What is wrong ?
Post #: 1
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 11.Feb.2003 11:48:00 PM   
washmont

You need to be running enterprise edition of exchange 2000. to use FE/BE design

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 12.Feb.2003 12:58:00 PM   
prolixin

I have Enterprise editon on my front end server, and standard on the backend.

If I was running standard edition I wouldn't have the option to promote it to front-end.

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 3
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 17.Feb.2003 2:15:00 PM   
prolixin

Could someone please help me out here ?? What directory/file should the /exchange dir in IIS manager point to ?

Im starting to get pissed on Microsoft! The OWA on 5.5 was much better an easier and didn't require a whole dedicated Exchange server running Enterprise edition. Im sure the only reason they made it this way is to force people to buy a own exchange enterprise edition.

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 4
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 26.Feb.2003 9:58:00 AM   
prolixin

Why can't anybody answer this simple question ?

The Exchange and public virtual directories has Error signs on them in the IIS manager. It wont help to restart the IIS web service. Both Virtual Direcoties has paths to M:\domain\MBX and M:\domain\Public Folder . Im not running Information store since this is a Front-End server so there isnt a M: on the server. I have done everything according to the instructions on technet.

I have made a test virutal directory with a html file to test the authentication and that worked with no problems so it can't be a authentication issue!

When trying to log the OWA im just getting a message saying "Error: Access Denied" (no 401 HTTP error) after getting the Logon/Password box 3 times after entering the correct password with different users.

This works fine on the back-end server.

I haven't found any help related to this issue on technet.

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 5
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 26.Feb.2003 10:41:00 AM   
BeTaCam

Stop the SRS service if running on the FE.Start all other Exhcange Services.

Click on the Exchange Virtual Directory / Properties / Browse. The red mark should change off.

If you are still unable to connect; check whether this computer has appeared under the exchange enetrprise Servers in the AD USers and Computers.

Check http://localhost/Exchange should direct u.

Please do post any of the error messages that u get to see on the FE box

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 6
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 26.Feb.2003 11:34:00 AM   
prolixin

the Site Replication Service was already disabled. I stopped all the other exchange services and started them again (everyone except SRS).

Did the "Browse" on the Virtual Dirs in IIS manager and the error sign went away, but still the same error when trying to log in. "Error: Access Denied" after 3 login attempts.

There is a Security Group thats called "Exchange Enteprise Servers" in my AD and the only memeber of this group is "Exchange Domain Server" which both my back-end and front-end server is members of.

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 7
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 26.Feb.2003 12:43:00 PM   
BeTaCam

Can you send me the error message and the Application Logs please of the FE

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 8
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 26.Feb.2003 12:58:00 PM   
BeTaCam

Ok Bud
Issue with the permissions looks like

Check it out and tell me

Start Windows Explorer, right-click the drive:\Program Files\Exchsrvr folder, and then click Properties, where drive refers to the drive letter of your system drive (typically it is C).

Click the Security tab, and then click to select the Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object check box.
Click Apply.

Make sure that the Authenticated Users group has the following permissions in the Exchsrvr\exchweb folder:

Read & execute
List Folder Contents
Read

If the Authenticated Users group does not have these permissions, set these permissions manually. Close the exchweb Properties dialog box.

Repeat steps 1-4 on the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared folder.

----------------------------------------------
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Services Manager.

Right-click your server, and then click Restart IIS.

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services to open the Services dialog box.Restart all Exchange services.Close the Services dialog box.

Should work ... HTH

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 9
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 26.Feb.2003 2:03:00 PM   
prolixin

Thanks! It now works if I use http://mailreader.domain.com/exchange/administrator and domain\administrator as login name. But not for any other user.

I have added the authenticated users on both exchweb and Microsoft Shared dirs.

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 10
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 26.Feb.2003 2:10:00 PM   
prolixin

It works for other users as well, but not for me. Im a Domain Admin user, but I have another question. I can open other peoples mailboxes if I use the administrator account on the login box. Is this normal ?

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 11
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 26.Feb.2003 2:18:00 PM   
prolixin

Hm, it only works for some users.

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 12
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 26.Feb.2003 3:13:00 PM   
prolixin

It works for everyone if I use http://mailreader.domain.com/exchange and no username at the end of the url.

Thanks for helping me out! [Razz]

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 13
RE: OWA won't load on Frond End Server - 27.Feb.2003 11:54:00 AM   
BeTaCam

Way to go Bud [Smile]

(in reply to prolixin)
Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA won't load on Frond End Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter