• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Offline defrag question.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Offline defrag question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 7:31:47 AM   
westsom

Hi

I hope some one can help me. To make a long story short. I am looking to do a offline defreg of our mail store. In articles i have read that i need 110% free but is this on the drive where the store is? or accross all drives? for example our store is 40gig priv1.edb and 40gig priv1.stm and the drive is only 100gig. I have created 150gig drive on the server will this work or will i have to create a copy whilst doing the defrag the 150gig drive then copy across and mount it? Hope this makes sence.

Thanks in advance
Tom
Post #: 1
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 7:37:49 AM   
alanhardisty

The 100% disk space is needed and is usually required on the drive where the database is located, but you can add a switch (/t) to point the temporary files that are created during the defrag to another drive with sufficient space and then the defrag will work happily.

The command to use is:

eseutil /d /tx:\tempdfrg.edb

So in the example above, you have the drive x: which has the required free space.

< Message edited by alanhardisty -- 26.Mar.2012 7:39:20 AM >

Alan Hardisty

http://www.it-eye.co.uk
http://alanhardisty.wordpress.com
http://www.exchange-certificates.com

(in reply to westsom)
Post #: 2
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 7:56:38 AM   
westsom

Hi Alan

Thank you for your quick reply. Would this be ok?

eseutil /d /p “D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb” /t”G\new temp\tempdfrg.edb”

Also if so how to replace the original with the new one? Is it as simple as renaming the files to priv1.edb and priv1.stm and remounting them?

Thanks Tom

(in reply to alanhardisty)
Post #: 3
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 8:53:24 AM   
Gulab

If you require to run /d only and your target to defrag the database than I wouldn't reccomend running /p in the command.

FYI...to run the /d command you should have 120% free space the size of database.

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to westsom)
Post #: 4
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 9:08:41 AM   
westsom

I dont have enough space on the drive to run just /d i only have 20gig free on 100gig drive 80gig store. so if run just the /d /t will it overwrite the orignal?

< Message edited by westsom -- 26.Mar.2012 9:13:51 AM >

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 5
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 9:33:18 AM   
uemurad

Before you perform the defrag, tell us how much space you are expecting to recover. Have you considered simply moving the database files to your new 150GB partition without the defrag?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to westsom)
Post #: 6
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 9:37:41 AM   
westsom

I will recover 20gig. Unfortunatly that is not a option as it is a virtual server and i need the 150gig for something else after this is done.

Thanks Tom

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 9:48:23 AM   
uemurad

20GB - are you getting that from the 1221 Events?

Next question (get the feeling I'm trying to talk you out of the defrag?) - what is your expectation of improvement by shrinking your database files? I'm trying to make sure you're wanting to do it for the right reasons.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to westsom)
Post #: 8
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 9:59:43 AM   
westsom

Hi Yes from the 1221 event. main reason is our back we use backup exec and it is very slow on the mailstore i know this is to be expected. It looks as if it is backing up the whole 80gig even the 20gig of that is whitespace so i am hoping this will drop our backup time.

Thanks Tom

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 10:34:37 AM   
uemurad

Tom,

Thank you for your patience in answering my questions. I know you are just trying to deal with your own problem, but I view MSExchange.org as a historical record and want to make sure future readers of this thread understand the risks and the proper reasons for wanting to perform an offline defrag.

Sadly, I am unable to talk you out of doing it. Your reasoning is sound - BackupExec will take proportionally less time to run with smaller database files.

Here is an article worth consideration for those that have fewer options: How to run Eseutil on a computer without Exchange Server.

You proposed to use the /p switch, meaning the original file will be left intact at the original location. Since you said the 150GB partition will be temporary, you'll need to move (and possibly rename) the compacted file to the 100GB partition before mounting.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to westsom)
Post #: 10
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 11:08:15 AM   
westsom

Yes i am planning on deleted the orignial once done and moving the defraged copy to the 100gig and renaming it to priv1.edb and priv1.stm. Does this sound like it would work and also does the code above look correct i am quite a novice to this?

Thanks For your fast replies!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 11
RE: Offline defrag question. - 26.Mar.2012 11:28:48 AM   
uemurad

quote:

eseutil /d /p “D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb” /t”G\new temp\tempdfrg.edb”

You want to include a space after /t and a colon after G (presuming that's the logical drive letter), but otherwise that appears correct.

You said you were going to delete the original file, replace it with the defragged file, then mount the store. Are you planning to copy or move or backup the database files before deleting? Typically you use the /d /p switches to keep the original files in case you need them - but you won't know if you still need them until you attempt to mount the defragged files as the live database.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to westsom)
Post #: 12
RE: Offline defrag question. - 27.Mar.2012 5:43:07 AM   
westsom

quote:

ORIGINAL: uemurad

quote:

eseutil /d /p "D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb” /t”G\new temp\tempdfrg.edb”

You want to include a space after /t and a colon after G (presuming that's the logical drive letter), but otherwise that appears correct.

You said you were going to delete the original file, replace it with the defragged file, then mount the store. Are you planning to copy or move or backup the database files before deleting? Typically you use the /d /p switches to keep the original files in case you need them - but you won't know if you still need them until you attempt to mount the defragged files as the live database.

Going to take a snapshot first just encase. The only reason i am doing the  /p is so that the file moves to the new drive "G" If i dont use the /p and just the /t will it still move to the new one. As i am not fused about keeping the old because i will have a snapshot.

Thanks Tom

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 13
RE: Offline defrag question. - 27.Mar.2012 9:07:27 AM   
uemurad

As you can tell, I try to talk people out of performing offline defrags whenever possible. I can't disagree with your reasoning, and it sounds like you have everything covered. Good luck.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to westsom)
Post #: 14
RE: Offline defrag question. - 27.Mar.2012 9:17:48 AM   
westsom

So if i dont use the /p will it copy over my original and use the /t location to store the new file so will i have it twice? Or will it just use the /t location to stream the file to and then overwrite it to the orginal location? I am having trouble understanding that part. I am trying to make this as simple as i can sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Tom

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 15
RE: Offline defrag question. - 27.Mar.2012 9:46:15 AM   
uemurad

No worries - the descriptions are confusing. To tell you the truth, I haven't tried the different combinations of command line switches, but here's how I interpret them:

/d = temp database created in current folder then replaces original
/d /p = temp database remains in current folder with original
/d /t = temp database created in named folder then replaces original
/d /p /t = temp database remains in named folder, original database remains in original folder

Please note that I could be wrong. If I have some time in the coming days I may test them, but I can't promise anything.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to westsom)
Post #: 16
RE: Offline defrag question. - 28.Mar.2012 3:56:32 AM   
GarethP

Out of interest -- rather than taking the database offline for an offline defrag, have you consider moving the users to a new database and then deleting the original?

This would give you the benefit of not having to take the database offline for x hours and would probably also give you a smaller and cleaner database?

Just a thought......

Gareth

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 17
RE: Offline defrag question. - 28.Mar.2012 8:50:37 AM   
uemurad

Gareth,

Your suggestion is valid and is my personal preference, but isn't always an available option. Exchange Organizations that only have a single Standard Edition server do not have the ability to create a new database.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to GarethP)
Post #: 18
RE: Offline defrag question. - 28.Mar.2012 9:34:52 AM   
GarethP

Agree completely Dean and accept that.

Just wanted to make sure Tom had considered / rejected it as an option :-)

Gareth

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 19

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Offline defrag question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter