• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OoOA - A better way

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> OoOA - A better way Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OoOA - A better way - 18.Aug.2009 7:37:10 PM   
AlaskaRob

So, I'm an admin of a small network, around 20 people. One or two of them insists on using her Out-of-Office Assistant when she's away. The problem is, I'm seeing that when she does this, the server gets backed up with all these OoOA messages to spammers whose addresses dont' even exist. So they sit in the queue and take up space. My Exchange is getting overloaded from this.

So two things, one, is there an alternative that anyone can think of? For example, is there anyway I could set it to only send to people in her addressbook? or is there a way I can at least have it check to see whether the message got sent to her SPAM folder first?!

Other than that, is outlook not supposed to be bogged down by that sort of thing? is it possible that something else is wrong with the server?
Post #: 1
RE: OoOA - A better way - 18.Aug.2009 10:57:03 PM   
uemurad

While those outbound messages to nowhere appear in the queues, they are only being sent once every six hours for 48 hours (by default unless you change the Exchange configuration) then are discarded.  That shouldn't be overloading Exchange by any means.  What exactly do you mean when you say your server is getting bogged down?

The OOF (that's the Microsoft designation) message can be blocked from going outside.  The setting is in the System Manager.  Expand Global Settings and Internet Message Format.  Right click on Default and open the properties.  The setting is on the Advanced tab.

There really isn't a good way to ensure OOF messages only go to legitimate addresses, other than doing your best to only allow legimate addresses to send messages to your user.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to AlaskaRob)
Post #: 2
RE: OOA - A better way - 26.Aug.2009 8:59:09 PM   
AlaskaRob

Thanks for responding uemurad. When I say my server was getting overloaded I was not entirely sure that this was the exact issue. but in the end, it fixed the problem when I shut down her OOA. She left on a friday, and by monday I was getting all sorts of error messages in my event logs.

Critical Alerts:

"SMTP Server remote Queue Length"
"SMTPSVC service is Stop Pending"
Allocated Memory was way too high.

App Log:
"MSExchangeTransport" Event ID 3018, and then 7010 and 7004 after I rebooted the system.

Every now and then store.exe starts taking up so much of the allocated memory that I get a warning about it. My boss had me just reboot the server in the past, as we could never figure out any other way of making store.exe let go of the space. This time after rebooting it didn't fix anything.

As soon as I went in and deleted all those OOA messages that weren't going anywhere, and turned off her OOA from her system, the problems went away.

Any ideas about what happened?

Windows SBS 2003 SP2
Dell Server P2600

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: OOA - A better way - 27.Aug.2009 1:40:11 AM   
uemurad

quote:

Any ideas about what happened?
Not off the top of my head, but I would recommend that you download and run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (www.exbpa.com).  It's a free utility from Microsoft that can be very helpful in identifying issues with your server.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to AlaskaRob)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> OoOA - A better way Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter