• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 22.Aug.2001 7:46:00 PM   
Some of you may remember me from my earlier posting regarding Outlook2k running on a Win98 machine within a W2K environment. The problem has been extremely poor response time from outlook running on machines that have 98 or ME installed. Outlook will always fail to find the EX2K server the first time it is opened. It will then offer the opportunity to retry the connection, after a short (15-45sec) period of time it will connect to the server and all will be well...

I want to get rid of this connection problem. My problem is that no one else has seen anything like this. Microsoft has been less than helpful or for that matter insiteful. One member here on the MSExchage site offered some advice for a remedy, but unfortunately his advice did not help (thanks though!)....

The exchange server is running on a Win2k advance server. It has plenty of memory,disk space...plenty of resources. SP1 has been installed and for some reason I think that this is the culprit. My reasoning behind this is that we do not get this problem when EX2k is installed on a test server WITHOUT sp1. Perhaps someone out there can shed some light on the faults of SP1 and maybe offer some advice on how to remedy this problem short of removing SP1 alltogether.

Thanks in advance, you guys are great!

James Drake
Pacific Data Designs, Inc.

Post #: 1
RE: Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 22.Aug.2001 10:52:00 PM   
timber

Hi,

maybe i'm not a big help, but I have two different exchange 2000 production servers in different companies, one has SP1, one doesn't have SP1. Both exchange2000-installation are Entreprise edition, both installed Windows 2000 servers with SP2 installed... I do not have any problem with connection times on Win98-computers...

Maybe, a hint, i don't know, but is WINS installed properly on your network?? Maybe that's why the first attempt doesn't work, because the client-computer is resolving the exchange-server through broadcasting and we all know that can take a while...

Try 'nbtstat -r' on the command prompt of your client-machines, I you see alot of resolution by broadcast you may have pinpointed the problem,

Good luck,
Tim.

[This message has been edited by timber (edited 08-22-2001).]

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 23.Aug.2001 1:31:00 AM   
benm

I am having the same problem. I am new to Exchange 2000. My server is Windows 2000 SP2, running Exchange 2000 SP1 and ISA Server 2000.

I have been playing with DNS with no luck.

Ben

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 23.Aug.2001 1:32:00 AM   
benm

I am having the same problem. I am new to Exchange 2000. My server is Windows 2000 SP2, running Exchange 2000 SP1 and ISA Server 2000.

I have been playing with DNS with no luck.

Ben

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 23.Aug.2001 6:32:00 PM   
Hey Tim,

Thanks for the pointers. I've gone through and as far as I know WINS is not enabled on the network. We really have no need for it at this time.....

Here's a little brain teazer for you. In my morning tinkering I found that I was able to launch outlook from a client computer within 2 seconds if I did the following...

Log on as myself into one of the client PC's (but not my own) Set the profile for myself into the mail option in the control panel. Launch outlook.. viola. Now, if I reboot the computer, and have outlook set to launch with my profile it reverts to the 40second or more lag. Should I switch the profile to the original user, outlook will launch in 2 seconds... very peculiar.

Anyhow, I will continue to scour the net looking for an answer (or a new SP from MS)...should I find anyhting I will let you all know.

-James

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 5
RE: Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 23.Aug.2001 7:29:00 PM   
mr_mongo

I have a network with 3 win 2k servers all with SP2. One is an Exchange 2K server with no SP, one is an ISA server, and the other ins an accounting server. I have 35 clients, and 30 are win98 clients. None of them are experiencing any type of slow downs. One interesting fact is after the Exchange 2k install, I attempted to install SP2 and it blew up midway through the install. I was forced to uninstall my exchange 2k and then reinstall it. I should have known better because I have on several occassions that people have experienced a variety of problems with either SP. Anyway, I decided not to install any SP at this time and wait for SP3.

I realize this was an issue with Exchange 5.5, but have you tried to hack into a win98 registry and mess witht he RPC binding order?

Just a thought...Good Luck

--Bill

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 6
RE: Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 23.Aug.2001 8:59:00 PM   
timber

Hi James,

I don't know why, but they call me stuborn... Let's talk about WINS again...
If you still use WIN98-client you really need WINS no mather how small your network is... Do the test on a rebooted machine : Search for your exchange-server... that can take very long... I you had WINS installed, you just had to wait less than a second...

Am I right, if I say that the first time you're trying to connect to the exchange (like installing a profile, or opening outlook,..) , it takes forever, but the second time, it's there immediately? If that's the way it is, then it's definitely the name-resolution that's bothering you...

Good luck,
Tim.

quote:
Originally posted by jdrake:
Hey Tim,

Thanks for the pointers. I've gone through and as far as I know WINS is not enabled on the network. We really have no need for it at this time.....

Here's a little brain teazer for you. In my morning tinkering I found that I was able to launch outlook from a client computer within 2 seconds if I did the following...

Log on as myself into one of the client PC's (but not my own) Set the profile for myself into the mail option in the control panel. Launch outlook.. viola. Now, if I reboot the computer, and have outlook set to launch with my profile it reverts to the 40second or more lag. Should I switch the profile to the original user, outlook will launch in 2 seconds... very peculiar.

Anyhow, I will continue to scour the net looking for an answer (or a new SP from MS)...should I find anyhting I will let you all know.

-James

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 7
RE: Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 24.Aug.2001 1:19:00 AM   
Digitalcandy

I agree with the WINS situation. If you have Win98 comps on your network, you should activiate WINS on your DHCP server. Your Win2K comps are not having problems because they use DNS by default. When you install Exchange 2000 on your network, you must also install DNS. Win2K boxes have no problems resolving names in this situation, but because you don't have WINS implemented, I would be willing to bet that is the problem.

Here is another tip before you install WINS. Make a host file on a Windows98 computer to resolve the Exchange box. Then see how long it takes Outlook to connect.

------------------
Ryan

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 24.Aug.2001 2:23:00 AM   
benm

I fixed my problem by setting the primary DNS of the clients to the DNS server and now outlook starts up with no delay.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 9
RE: Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 - 24.Aug.2001 8:31:00 PM   
TIM!?!?

Are you mad!?!? WINS is what they call a "Non-issue" it's not going ot be used on this network. Every network that I have been involved with has had nothing but problems with WINS. It basically has a memory leak (not really a memory leak, but for all intents and purposes..) that will cause whatever server it is installed on to continually slow itself down requirining bi-weekly server reboots. In all actuality there is no need for WINS if DNS is installed.

There has to be an answer to this problem that doesnt involve installing WINS on the server.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Outlook2k & Exchange2k under Win98 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter