• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook Anywhere not working

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Outlook Anywhere not working Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook Anywhere not working - 25.Apr.2007 6:58:26 PM   
chasep2001

I hope this is the right forum.

We are transitioning from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007. Currently my mailbox is the only one actually moved to the new server. I enabled outlook anywhere. I set an external hostname. I updated external DNS records to point that external hostname to a certain IP. Our firewall is set to direct any port 80 or 443 traffic on that IP to the new server. Is there anything else that needs to be done as far as enabling exchange anywhere?

When I try to connect with my outlook client, its not working. It will give me a prompt with domain\username already populated asking me to enter my password, but after maybe 1-2 minutes, outlook comes back and says "The connection to the microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

I have setup the HTTP Proxy with the external hostname mentioned above. Use SSL is checked. I have tried with both basic and NTLDM authentacation (modifying the exchange server to the use the same method) and they both behave the same way. The exchange server host name is set as if I was actually inside the company LAN. Does that need to be changed to the external hostname? I tried it and it didn't work, so I am thinking thats not the issue.
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 27.Apr.2007 12:36:52 PM   
t0ta11ed

Since Outlook Anywhere uses a proxy connection, you have to enter the internal mail server name instead of the external mail domain name. Outlook Anywhere worked flawlessly after I did this.

(in reply to chasep2001)
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 2.Aug.2007 2:57:50 PM   
mdphoenix

quote:

ORIGINAL: t0ta11ed

Since Outlook Anywhere uses a proxy connection, you have to enter the internal mail server name instead of the external mail domain name. Outlook Anywhere worked flawlessly after I did this.

You are so full of it.  How can you put up an answer like that and not give details?  There are gobs of search hits all over the internet about Outlook Anywhere not working.  Don't you realize if you put up your configuration and it helps others, that you'll be considered a god?  I've been beating my head over this for weeks on end.  I've got nothing.  OWA works.  I can hit the default web page on the server as well, but OA will NOT work.  I cannot think of what else to try.

So what do you have?  How did you configure your server?  I mean seriously, "Oh I entered the internal name of the server since it's on a proxy and it worked"

Well that's great.  Care to shed some light?  WHERE did you enter the internal name? EDIT:  I've got it working!!!  Yes, after my heated rant, I went back and looked at the settings trying to figure out what in the heck you were talking about it.  On the first page of the configuration of an Exchange e-mail address, the field for Microsoft Exchange Server - that should be configured with your internal server name.  After pressing the More Settings, then going to the Connections tab, and finally the Exchange Proxy Settings is where the external FQDN must go. I cannot believe that this is finally working.  So yes, my rant may have been a bit uncalled for, and yes, your suggestion did fix it.  But seriously.. there's a lot of people out there who can't get OA working.  Help'm out!   

< Message edited by mdphoenix -- 2.Aug.2007 3:03:48 PM >

(in reply to t0ta11ed)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 2.Aug.2007 3:53:49 PM   
t0ta11ed

The original post was referring to the Outlook setup. I didn't give many details becuase the original poster was on the right track and would've known what I meant. In fact, they were very close. He/she never followed up on this thread though.

You tell me I'm full of it, but then ask me for my solution. Normally I wouldn't even bother with someone who insults me first,  but I'm in a generous mood and know how it feels to beat your head over something.  Sooo, here you go. Keep in mind this was done in Outlook 2003 and from outside the corporate network. The setup is pretty similar in 2007:

1. At the Exchange Server Settings screen, enter the internal FQDN of the mail server and the user name. You are going to be using the external address as a proxy to the internal one.

2. Click on More Settings. Outlook will pause for a moment and then throw up an error about not finding the server. This is expected, just hit OK and then select Cancel at the next screen.

3. After hitting Cancel you'll get another window. Select the Security tab and make sure 'Encrypt Data Between Microsoft Office Outlook and Microsoft Exchange' is checked, then select 'Kerberos/NTLM Authentication' under Logon network security. In Outlook 2007, you have the option to tell it to just negotiate the authentication. Select the Connection tab when complete.

4. At the bottom of the Connection tab, check the box next to 'Connect to my Exchange mailbox using HTTP' and select the Exchange Proxy Settings button.

5. Enter the external address of the mail server. In my case it was the same as the external OWA: https://mail.domain.com. Check 'Connect using SSL only', check the settings for fast and slow networks, then choose 'NTLM Authentication' and hit OK and OK again to go back to the Email Accounts screen.

From there you should be able to test by telling Outlook to Check Name. If a username/password prompt appears, it's successfully connecting.

This would never work no matter what I did until I entered the internal FQDN of the mail server in the Settings screen. Once I did, worked like a charm. Enjoy.

(in reply to mdphoenix)
Post #: 4
RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 3.Aug.2007 5:42:29 PM   
t0ta11ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdphoenix
Yes, after my heated rant, I went back and looked at the settings trying to figure out what in the heck you were talking about it.  On the first page of the configuration of an Exchange e-mail address, the field for Microsoft Exchange Server - that should be configured with your internal server name.  After pressing the More Settings, then going to the Connections tab, and finally the Exchange Proxy Settings is where the external FQDN must go. I cannot believe that this is finally working.  So yes, my rant may have been a bit uncalled for, and yes, your suggestion did fix it.

You're welcome....

(in reply to mdphoenix)
Post #: 5
RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 16.Aug.2007 5:11:22 PM   
idioteque

quote:

ORIGINAL: t0ta11ed

The original post was referring to the Outlook setup. I didn't give many details becuase the original poster was on the right track and would've known what I meant. In fact, they were very close. He/she never followed up on this thread though.

You tell me I'm full of it, but then ask me for my solution. Normally I wouldn't even bother with someone who insults me first,  but I'm in a generous mood and know how it feels to beat your head over something.  Sooo, here you go. Keep in mind this was done in Outlook 2003 and from outside the corporate network. The setup is pretty similar in 2007:

1. At the Exchange Server Settings screen, enter the internal FQDN of the mail server and the user name. You are going to be using the external address as a proxy to the internal one.

2. Click on More Settings. Outlook will pause for a moment and then throw up an error about not finding the server. This is expected, just hit OK and then select Cancel at the next screen.

3. After hitting Cancel you'll get another window. Select the Security tab and make sure 'Encrypt Data Between Microsoft Office Outlook and Microsoft Exchange' is checked, then select 'Kerberos/NTLM Authentication' under Logon network security. In Outlook 2007, you have the option to tell it to just negotiate the authentication. Select the Connection tab when complete.

4. At the bottom of the Connection tab, check the box next to 'Connect to my Exchange mailbox using HTTP' and select the Exchange Proxy Settings button.

5. Enter the external address of the mail server. In my case it was the same as the external OWA: https://mail.domain.com. Check 'Connect using SSL only', check the settings for fast and slow networks, then choose 'NTLM Authentication' and hit OK and OK again to go back to the Email Accounts screen.

From there you should be able to test by telling Outlook to Check Name. If a username/password prompt appears, it's successfully connecting.

This would never work no matter what I did until I entered the internal FQDN of the mail server in the Settings screen. Once I did, worked like a charm. Enjoy.

Hey, this post is EXACTLY what I needed.  Thank you so much!

(in reply to t0ta11ed)
Post #: 6
RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Oct.2007 6:41:50 AM   
chris5287

Hi,

Im still having a problem with connecting to server from external domain. I have setup outlook with the settings listed above. Could you possibly tell us what your settings are on the exchange server (and if you use ISA them as well). It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

(in reply to idioteque)
Post #: 7
RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Oct.2007 9:38:08 AM   
t0ta11ed

From the Exchange help file:

To enable Outlook Anywhere you must follow these steps in order:
  • Install a valid Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate from a certification authority (CA) that is trusted by Outlook clients.
  • Install the Windows RPC over HTTP Proxy component.
  • Enable Outlook Anywhere on an Exchange 2007 Client Access server by using the Enable Outlook Anywhere Wizard. When you install Exchange 2007, you can install a default SSL certificate that is created by Exchange Setup. However, this certificate is not a trusted SSL certificate and will not work for Outlook Anywhere.

To use the Exchange Management Console to enable Outlook Anywhere
    1. In the console tree, expand Server Configuration, and then click Client Access.
    2. In the action pane, click Enable Outlook Anywhere.
    3. In the Enable Outlook Anywhere Wizard, in the box under External host name, type the external host name for your organization.
    4. Select an available external authentication method. You can select Basic authentication or NTLM authentication.
    5. If you are using an SSL accelerator and you want to do SSL offloading, select the check box next to Allow secure channel (SSL) offloading.
      [image]note.gif[/image]Note: Do not use this option unless you are sure that you have an SSL accelerator that can handle SSL offloading. If you do not have an SSL accelerator that can handle SSL offloading and you select this option, Outlook Anywhere will not function correctly.
    6. Click Enable to apply these settings and enable Outlook Anywhere.
    7. Click Finish to close the Enable Outlook Anywhere Wizard.
    The Exchange Management Console Help section has all the info needed to configure the server.

< Message edited by t0ta11ed -- 1.Oct.2007 9:40:32 AM >

(in reply to chris5287)
  • Post #: 8
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Oct.2007 2:00:18 PM   
    create_share

Hi!

Can somebody still help me with outlook anywhere problem. I have read all the replies in this post and followed all the procedures in this post but still it is not working with me.

I have:

1. ISA 2006 connected to Domain. One External IP and One Internal 192.168.1.1

2. Exchange 2007 connected to Domain. IP 192.168.1.2
    3. Domain Controller IP 192.168.1.3
    4. OWA is Working Fine

SSL Certificate (Not from an External CA Company) was installed on another Windows 2003 Server Machine and then issued to Exchange and ISA.

I have installed RPC/HTTP on Exchange Server and enabled but i don't know that how should i configure the DNS Settings on my Domain Controller and on my clients.

Secondly, if i want to use only mail.domain.com and without /owa then what should i do?

Thankx!

(in reply to t0ta11ed)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Oct.2007 2:13:30 PM   
    t0ta11ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: create_share
    1. ISA 2006 connected to Domain. One External IP and One Internal 192.168.1.1

I'm not using ISA and never have. Can't help you on that part.

quote:

2. Exchange 2007 connected to Domain. IP 192.168.1.2
    3. Domain Controller IP 192.168.1.3
    4. OWA is Working Fine

If OWA is working from the outside, then all you need is to properly configure the external Outlook client to connect using RPC over HTTPS.

quote:

SSL Certificate (Not from an External CA Company) was installed on another Windows 2003 Server Machine and then issued to Exchange and ISA.

Again, if this is working fine from the outside (IE; OWA is available via HTTPS), then you have nothing further to configure on the certificate end.

quote:

I have installed RPC/HTTP on Exchange Server and enabled but i don't know that how should i configure the DNS Settings on my Domain Controller and on my clients.

As far as this goes, Outlook Anywhere is inteded to be used outside of the internal domain/network. The only thing DNS related would be the external DNS entry that points to the mail server.

quote:

Secondly, if i want to use only mail.domain.com and without /owa then what should i do?

/owa is the Default directory created for OWA.You can alter the URL used to connect to it in the Exchange Management Console, however.

You didn't specify the exact problems you're having, so I could only respond to what you wrote.

(in reply to create_share)
    Post #: 10
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Oct.2007 2:39:07 PM   
    create_share

Sorry! actually my Company's Internet Link suddenly went down that's why i was unable to access my Network Remotely. But i am infact having the same problem of username and password on outlook configuration settings. It is again and again asking me for password.

If it is authentication problem then what authentication type should i use on Exchange, ISA and my Clients for RPC/HTTP?

Thankx!

(in reply to t0ta11ed)
    Post #: 11
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Oct.2007 2:44:54 PM   
    t0ta11ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: create_share

Sorry! actually my Company's Internet Link suddenly went down that's why i was unable to access my Network Remotely. But i am infact having the same problem of username and password on outlook configuration settings. It is again and again asking me for password.

If it is authentication problem then what authentication type should i use on Exchange, ISA and my Clients for RPC/HTTP?

Thankx!

The first thing that comes to mind is to make sure you don't have the 'Always prompt for logon credentials' checkbox marked under Account Settings>More Settings>Security. The second is to make sure Outlook is using the proper authentication settings. Mine is set to use NTLM authentication in the Exchange Proxy Settings.

Post #: 12
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Oct.2007 6:08:58 PM   
    create_share

I changed authentication settings both on Exchange Server and My PC. Suddenly it started working after entering the password but now everytime when i open outlook, it asks for password and there is no option to save the password.

Secondly, if i press send and receive it is giving error (0x8004010F). In Sync Issues folder i have

"Not downloading Offline address book files.  A server (URL) could not be located"

thanks!

(in reply to t0ta11ed)
    Post #: 13
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 2.Oct.2007 9:54:29 AM   
    t0ta11ed

It will always ask for your password when Outlook launches and connects. Is the client Outlook 2007? 

Post #: 14
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 25.Oct.2007 3:07:32 PM   
    eosckar

t0ta11ed, thanks for your input !!!

This is the first time I configured OA in Exchange 2007. I thought EX2007 would be smarter than 2003 and resolving external FQDN on outlook setup would work.

BAH, It didn't !

Had to do it the same way like I did in Exchange 2003 with RPC/HTTPS :)

Anyway, thanks again!

(in reply to t0ta11ed)
    Post #: 15
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 30.Oct.2007 3:43:52 PM   
    rghanim

he is not i followed all his recommandation and it is working very fine now.
    i am even using outlook 2003 on a windows xp home edition and outlook anywhere works very fine

(in reply to mdphoenix)
    Post #: 16
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Jul.2008 2:07:54 PM   
    digeratiTyson

I have everything set up using the instructions from the beginning of this post but I keep getting prompted for username and password when I click check name. Has anyone else seen that? I know my credentials are correct.

(in reply to rghanim)
    Post #: 17
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Jul.2008 2:39:45 PM   
    t0ta11ed

If you try to check the name before setting up the proxy settings, the credentials won't work because it can't connect to the Exchange server. If you haven't setup the proxy settings, don't worry about Check Name just yet.

Invasion Plans - http://dev.marzopolis.com

(in reply to digeratiTyson)
    Post #: 18
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 1.Jul.2008 4:22:32 PM   
    lorennerol

The continual credential prompt can also happen if you have the wrong hostname in the 'mutually authenticate' box in Outlook.

(in reply to digeratiTyson)
    Post #: 19
    RE: Outlook Anywhere not working - 2.Jul.2008 9:06:26 AM   
    digeratiTyson

Gotcha,

I just ran the utility at testexchangeconnectivity.com and passed every step except the last one:

Testing NSPI Interface on Exchange Mailbox Server

An error occured while testing the NSPI Interface.

Test Steps

Attempting to ping RPC Endpoint 6004 (NSPI Proxy Interface) on server digweb01.example.com

Failed to ping Endpoint

Additional Details

RPC Status ServerUnavailable (1722) returned in 0 ms.

So all that it appears to be the problem is that it cannot hit the internal server name...I have ensured that the internal name resolves to an IP on the internet but that does not seem to help. What else can I try?

(in reply to t0ta11ed)
    Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
    All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Outlook Anywhere not working Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter