• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook over RPC /HTTPS SSL cert problem.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Outlook over RPC /HTTPS SSL cert problem. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook over RPC /HTTPS SSL cert problem. - 3.Apr.2007 11:33:10 AM   
AdamCameron

Hey,
  OK, as usualy I have a non-supported setup I am trying to make work.

SBS --- Gateway ---  <Internet>  3rdParty Mail Server --- <internter>

My domain name is registered at a 3rd party mail server so all mail goes there and I bring it back to the exchange box using POP3 connector. We get our mail and send with no problems.

OWA Setup:
I generated my own certificate on my server and self signed it. This allows my users to have security but we do get the warring because it was self signed.

Outlook Over RPC/HTTPS
Now they want outlook to work over HTTP and I have discoved because the SSL cert was signed by myself that the warring I get with OWA will not allow me to work around it and Outlook over HTTP is not going to work because of this. RPCping utility testing seems to hint that a ligit SSL cert must be used.

My question is, do I need a valid authorized signed SSL certificate
for this to work or is there a work around? So I can keep my self signed cert and tell outlook to just accept it and move on?

Thanks,
     Adam
The RPCping utility fails and suggests that it is because my SSL cert is not authorized by a "ligit"
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook over RPC /HTTPS SSL cert problem. - 12.Apr.2007 5:47:57 AM   
Nicodemius

Hi

It will be better for you to get a valid third-party certificate as some services won't work properly without it example Direct Push Technology for Mobiles, IPSec for VPN. RPC over HTTP for outlook, OWA(annoying message) etc.
Here is a link for a good place to get a certificate.

http://www.geotrusteurope.com/
for RPC DPT and OWA their quickssl premium is ideal for what you want and the cheapest unless you can find another place for one :)

(in reply to AdamCameron)
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook over RPC /HTTPS SSL cert problem. - 16.Apr.2007 2:08:54 PM   
colema19

You can use a self-signed just fine, but it's more work for you as an admin.  You have to install the certificate of the signing server as a trusted CA on each one of the client devices that you want to use rpc over https on.  This also removes the warning that occurs with OWA.  It's pretty straightfoward to do with PCs, but can be trickier to do with mobile devices.  Once it's done, the device will behave just as if you had purchased a cert.

(in reply to Nicodemius)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook over RPC /HTTPS SSL cert problem. - 18.Apr.2007 2:57:39 PM   
AdamCameron

Hey,
Thanks for the help.  I did get an SSL cert after all to make things easier. But I do like that you can add the cert the clients and everything works nice :) I'll save that little tid bit for another time. 

Thanks,
  Adam

(in reply to colema19)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Outlook over RPC /HTTPS SSL cert problem. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter