• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook profile is still trying to look for old Exchange server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Outlook profile is still trying to look for old Exchange server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook profile is still trying to look for old Exchang... - 18.Apr.2004 11:24:00 AM   
alap

I am in a bit of a dilemma here. At the moment we have an NT4 and W2K domain running. We have an Exchange 2000 running in W2K domain and an Exchange 5.5 running in Windows NT4.

We migrated all the mailboxes and public folders from Ex 5.5 to Ex 2000 a few months ago. All Outlook profiles were also changed from Exchange 5.5 server to Exchange 2000 at the same time. There is only one server in NT4 domain, and that is Exchange 5.5 server. I have disabled all the Exchange services on this server. Now the problem is that we canĂt decommission this domain or this server because as soon as I switch this server off all Outlook profiles on usersĂ machines start coming up with an Error ˘Microsoft Outlook is trying to retrieve information from x server (Ex 5.5)÷ and it just freezes up. It is really annoying.

I donĂt understand why Outlook is still looking for Exchange 5.5 server when they are all pointing to Exchange 2000 server. I really need to decommission this server so I can use it for other purposes.

Please does anyone have any idea why Microsoft Outlook has a reference with old Exchange 5.5 server? What can I do to rectify this problem?
"[Mad]"
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook profile is still trying to look for old Exc... - 29.Apr.2004 5:37:00 PM   
pjhutch

I theory they should not, you should stop the services in the old 5.5 server, uninstall Exchange and uninstall the ADC and delete the SRS, and remove the 5.5 server from the Organisation.

Did you move the System folders across to the new server as a replica? ie FRee/Busy Folders, Offline address list and Org Forms? If not then outlook will try retrieve that data from the 5.5 server. I would recheck all the steps in decommisioning old server first.

(in reply to alap)
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook profile is still trying to look for old Exc... - 30.Apr.2004 11:01:00 AM   
alap

Thank you very much for your reply. I thought no would get back to me. Anyway, we didn't use ADC or anything to perform the migration. We set up a brand new Windows 2000 domain and a brand new Exchange 2000 organisation. We didn't join the Exchange 2000 server to the existing Exchange 5.5 site. We migrated Active Directory Migration Tool to migrate NT4 users to Windows 2000. We logged on as each user, went into Outlook and imported their mailbox by importing a .pst file and exporting it into the new Exchange 2000 server.

We migrated public folders the same way. However, we haven't done anything about the system folder that you have mentioned. How can I move system folders using a different method? Currently our Exchange server is running in Native mode.

Please help

(in reply to alap)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook profile is still trying to look for old Exc... - 28.Jun.2006 8:16:33 PM   
schristopher

Did you resolve this issue?  Do you remember how?  I am having the same problem.  If anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated!

(in reply to alap)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Outlook profile is still trying to look for old Exchange server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter