• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook prompting for password randomly

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Outlook prompting for password randomly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook prompting for password randomly - 10.Feb.2011 8:18:32 AM   
penn_pinto

Hello all,

I have a newly created CAS array that seems to be working well. I have issued the powershell command to set existing databases to use the new cas array as the rpc client access server.

Since doing this some users are randomly getting prompted for a username and password. If they reboot there machine it then seems to work but then happens again a few hours later.

Any ideas on why this may be happening or what I can do to resolve it?

Patrick
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook prompting for password randomly - 10.Feb.2011 10:21:47 AM   
de.blackman

Do they get prompted when they are performing certain tasks or does it happen randomly? Also what version of Outlook are they running? If the profiles were created using Autodiscover (assuming Outlook 2007 or 2010), then can you try to remove the Exchange HTTP proxy settings in the profile settings and see if it helps?

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to penn_pinto)
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook prompting for password randomly - 10.Feb.2011 2:10:10 PM   
penn_pinto

Hey there!

They get prompted during random times it seems.

The user having the issues seem to be Outlook 2007 so far.

It prompts them for there username and password and says its trying to either connect to one of the members of the array or mail.domain.com which points to the virtual ip of the cas array. In the lower right hand corner of the outlook client it says Needs Password. If you close and reopen outlook it seems to work fine.

Where do you remove the exchange http proxy settings?

Patrick

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook prompting for password randomly - 11.Feb.2011 9:09:33 AM   
de.blackman

Go into control panel and open mail. open the properties of the Outlook profile and go to change. On the connection tab, you will find the checkbox to enable Exchange proxy settings. Just uncheck it and see if it helps.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to penn_pinto)
Post #: 4
RE: Outlook prompting for password randomly - 11.Feb.2011 9:28:32 AM   
penn_pinto

Hi there,

I checked and out outlook clients are already configured to have this unchecked. I checked one of the users in particular and his was already unchecked.

Patrick

Post #: 5
RE: Outlook prompting for password randomly - 16.Feb.2011 1:05:52 AM   
odye25

ya its very general problem that iam also facing regarding Outlook prompting for password randomly....any one plz update hot to overcome this

XFINITY TV

(in reply to penn_pinto)
Post #: 6
RE: Outlook prompting for password randomly - 16.Feb.2011 8:04:57 AM   
de.blackman

When you get prompted, what does it specify in the title bar of the pop-up dialog box?

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to odye25)
Post #: 7
RE: Outlook prompting for password randomly - 16.Feb.2011 8:20:41 AM   
penn_pinto

Hi guys,

I actually have an open ticket with Microsoft on this. I have collected several screenshots and logs and tested certain scenarios for them and we are currently still working on figuring out the solution.

We seem to be facing an issue with one of the cas/hub servers in our cas array. I noticed that the dc's and gc's its connected to our out of its local site and in the event log it is saying that it cant find any dc's or gc's in the ad site it is in...while the other cas/hub is just fine. Microsoft is unsure of wether this is causing the prompting issue but it seems like it as the client prompts for the computer name of the cas/hub having issues finding its gc/dc.

To troubleshoot Microsoft wants me to shut off one of the members of the array for a day or two to see what happens and then power it back on and shut off th eother one and see what the behavior is like.

I will keep everyone posted on our findings.

Patrick

Post #: 8
RE: Outlook prompting for password randomly - 9.May2012 3:53:14 PM   
sigvardsson

Did you solve the problem, got the same Exchange 2010 SP1, outlook 2010 SP1.

(in reply to penn_pinto)
Post #: 9
RE: Outlook prompting for password randomly - 10.May2012 8:06:28 AM   
travis.sheldon

If the credential prompt window says "Welcome back to $servername" then it's more than likely autodiscover..but the Microsoft assessment could be correct as well, which in that case you'd be getting prompted because the CAS server you're connected to now is unavailable or referred you to another CAS server requiring you to auth to the next CAS node
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Outlook prompting for password randomly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter