• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outward bound email stalled !!! ???

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 3.Aug.2006 6:01:56 AM   
Cyberpro60

I have just gone through the painful process of rebuilding my W2K server after a v nasty trojan trashed the registry and forced me to perform a clean server install.

I have reinstalled W2K with Exchange 2000 and all services packs & updates are installed.
I was able to successfully recover all my emails etc from the old system thanks to a very recent full backup done HOWEVER - all is not working as required:

Following the installation of Exchange Server 2000 I find that incoming mail is working fine but all outgoing SMTP mail is stalled or refused. I have read all the papers I can find and everything seems to be setup the way it should but no mail gets out. I installed and ran SMTPDIAG.exe (results below) and also ran NSLOOKUP.

Note: I use a POP client to get inward bound email which delivers this to my SMTP connector.

NSLookup reported as follows:
Default server: w2kserver.simnet.local
Address: 192.168.0.1
>

The SMTPDiag.exe command was
SMTPDIAG admin@simnet.local somebody@externalsite.com
The results were:

Searching for Exchange external DNS settings.
Computer name is W2KSERVER.
VSI 1 has the following external DNS servers:
203.134.64.66, 203.134.65.66
Checking SOA for externalsite.com
Checking external DNS servers.
Checking TCP/UDP SOA serial number using DNS server [203.134.64.66].
TCP test succeeded.
UDP test failed.
Serial number: 2006072802
Checking TCP/UDP SOA serial number using DNS server [203.134.65.66].
TCP test succeeded.
UDP test failed.
Checking internal DNS servers.
Checking TCP/UDP SOA serial number using DNS server [192.168.0.1].
TCP test succeeded.
UDP test failed.
Checking TCP/UDP SOA serial number using DNS server [203.134.64.66].
TCP test succeeded.
UDP test failed.
Checking TCP/UDP SOA serial number using DNS server [203.134.65.66].
TCP test succeeded.
UDP test failed.
SOA serial number match: Passed.
Checking local domain records.
Starting TCP and UDP DNS queries for the local domain. This test will try to validate that DNS is set up correctly for inbound mail. This test can fail for 3 reasons.
1) Local domain is not set up in DNS. Inbound mail cannot be routed to local mailboxes.
2) Firewall blocks TCP/UDP DNS queries. This will not affect inbound mail, but will affect outbound mail.
3) Internal DNS is unaware of external DNS settings. This is a valid configuration for certain topologies.
Checking MX records using TCP: simnet.local.
A:     simnet.local [192.168.0.1]
A:     simnet.local [192.168.1.100]
Checking MX records using UDP: simnet.local.
A:     simnet.local [192.168.0.1]
A:     simnet.local [192.168.1.100]
Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Local DNS test passed.
Checking remote domain records.
Starting TCP and UDP DNS queries for the remote domain. This test will try to validate that DNS is set up correctly for outbound mail. This test can fail for 3 reasons.
1) Firewall blocks TCP/UDP queries which will block outbound mail. Windows 2000/NT Server requires TCP DNS queries. Windows Server 2003 will use UDP queries first, then fall back to TCP queries.
2) Internal DNS does not know how to query external domains. You must either use an external DNS server or configure DNS server to query external domains.
3) Remote domain does not exist. Failure is expected. Checking MX records using TCP: externalsite.com
MX:    mx1.externalsite.com (10)
MX:    mx2.externalsite.com (20)
A:     mx1.externalsite.com [220.240.226.162]
A:     mx2.externalsite.com [202.7.81.135]
Checking MX records using UDP: externalsite.com
MX:    mx1.externalsite.com (10)
MX:    mx2.externalsite.com (20)
Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Remote DNS test passed.
Checking MX servers listed for somebody@externalsite.com
Connecting to mx1.externalsite.com [220.240.226.162] on port 25.
Connecting to the server failed. Error: 10060
Failed to submit mail to mx1.externalsite.com.
Connecting to mx2.externalsite.com [202.7.81.135] on port 25.
Connecting to the server failed. Error: 10060
Failed to submit mail to mx2.externalsite.com.

System setup.

There are two NICs installed.

NIC 1 [connected to my internal (local) area network]
IP number is 192.168.0.1
Mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway is open
DNS Server is set at 192.168.0.1

NIC 2 [connected to my DSL router]
IP Number is 192.168.1.100
Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 [which is the IP of the DSL router itself]
DNS links are given as 203.134.64.66 and 203.134.65.66

Note:
I can surf the web fine with these settings no errors.
I can ping any external website without problem
I can traceroute to any external site without problem
Outward bound mail fails.

Note:
I have tried routing outgoing mail to a smart host and that fails
I have tried direct delivery and that fails too.
I don't know what else to try to do to resolve this.

Note:
At this point I am NOT runninng any firewall software but I will install ISA Serv once I have mail flowing properly
Therefore there is nothing running that should block port 25.

Help please (before I pull out what's left of my hair!!!!)

Simon B
Post #: 1
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 3.Aug.2006 8:32:26 PM   
jassyca

Hey, weird idea for you. You mentioned the original server was hit by a trojan. So, do you now have some type of anti-virus software running on the server? Because I'm wondering if your anti-virus software might be closing outbound SMTP on you, mistakenly believing it's stopping a mass mailing worm/trojan.

If that's not it, what happens if you open a command prompt on your Exchange server and "telnet" to it's own port 25? (Don't do this from your workstation.. you want to do it at your Exchange server because you want to see what *it* gets as a response. You don't have to hand type a whole message or do the whole "helo blah" back-n-forth, just see if you get a response.)

If that works, next try telnetting to port 25 of an external email server from your Exchange server. If you get a response, then there's nothing stopping your server from sending outbound email. At that point, it's probably a configuration problem of the virtual SMTP server. Eeew. That'll be fun to hunt down because sounds like you've gone over everything with a fine toothed comb already. If you can't telnet to port 25 of an external server from your Exchange server then that tells you *something* is stopping things and you just have to figure out what it is.

Good luck..

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 2
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 3.Aug.2006 9:35:23 PM   
jassyca

Hey! Had another weird thought.. ( which is redundant because I'm a weird person)

If you open your Exchange Manager console and work your way down to your "Connectors", do you see one for "Internet mail service"? ("Your AD domain" --> "Administrative Groups" --> "Your domain" --> "Connectors".) Maybe you need to recreate it or check it's settings??

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 3
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 6.Aug.2006 6:53:31 PM   
Cyberpro60

@jassyca

I have been able to successfully telnet into Exchange from the server and create a test mail item and successfully add it to the queue - it never gets sent off though and just hangs there.

Also, I don't currently have any antivirus or other "preventative" software running on the server so that doesn't explain the problem either.

Simon B

(in reply to jassyca)
Post #: 4
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 6.Aug.2006 7:13:56 PM   
Cyberpro60

jassyca

Also, I can telnet into an external smtp server without problem and I have drilled down in Exchange and I do have a smtp connector that is set to send mail on to the smtp server of my ISP (as a smart host). The settings seem correct too. Any other suggestions?

Simon B

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 5
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 7.Aug.2006 1:36:03 PM   
Lancy

Are you blaclisted?

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 6
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 8.Aug.2006 2:22:56 AM   
Cyberpro60

Am I blacklisted. Hehe. I wish that there was such a simple explanation but no, I am not blacklisted!
If I load up Outlook Express and point it at the same smart host I can send and receive emails just fine.
When I try to use Exchange only the incoming mail works !!!!!

Simon B

(in reply to Lancy)
Post #: 7
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 8.Aug.2006 10:17:29 AM   
Lancy

telnetting to your ISP server - you cant connect to the server on port 25.
however when you specify smarthost. Are you allowed to relay through that smart host.

infact why are using ISP as smarthost?  Any reasons

Have  you changed the settings on connector to use DNS?I am sure the queue will clear.

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 8
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 9.Aug.2006 5:06:33 AM   
Cyberpro60

@Lancy

> telnetting to your ISP server - you cant connect to the server on port 25.
> however when you specify smarthost. Are you allowed to relay through that smart host.
> infact why are using ISP as smarthost?  Any reasons
> Have  you changed the settings on connector to use DNS?I am sure the queue will clear.

I can connect to my ISP's SMTP service on port 25 without problem and I am allowed to relay through this.
I tried with standard DNS lookup but that didn't work so I reverted to using my ISP's SMTP service because that's what I had working before my system crashed and I know that worked fine for years.

btw: The queue hasn't cleared yet and still I can't respond to any emails.

I am desperate to get this working but nobody seems to be able to offer any sensible suggestions to resolve this problem ????
Surely there is somebody who can suggest something to do to resolve this?

Simon B

(in reply to Lancy)
Post #: 9
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 9.Aug.2006 10:54:04 AM   
Lancy

Add both ip address to the default virtual smtp server.

Try ipconfig/flushdns, ipconfig/registerdns. try
i cant go through your long details but can you confirm you can recieve internal emails from internet and its delivered to mailboxes without any problems.

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 10
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 9.Aug.2006 5:46:14 PM   
Lancy

did you manage to fix this problem.

i have more solution. the SMTP mailbox  on the server could be corrupt which is why its not processing emails .

Create a new mailbox store, if the server is just an smtp connector.

(in reply to Lancy)
Post #: 11
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 13.Aug.2006 3:34:14 PM   
Cyberpro60

I tried the following:

ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/registerdns

but still no change. Outward bound emails still are refused.
The message received in Outlook [On a client machine] is as follows:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'testxxx0@hotmail.com' on xx/xx/2006 xx:xx PM
           There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server.  Please contact your system administrator.
           <w2kserver #5.5.0 smtp;553  <administrator> unable to verify address>

RE possible corruption of mail store. I hadn't thought of this as a possibility but I can run some tests to determine the validity of the database and post the result here.
Also, if it could be a corrupt mail store, why would internal mail be working ok?

Simon B

(in reply to Lancy)
Post #: 12
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 13.Aug.2006 6:59:13 PM   
Cyberpro60

Some further information that may be relevant:

I downloaded and installed and ran the Exchange Server Troubleshooting Assistant and ran it.
It returned some information which I will include below but first I want to list my Ethernet Adapter setup to make sure that I have this set correctly.

My Primary ethernet adapter is the adapter for the internet lan
It has a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
No default gateway is defined
DNS is set to 192.168.0.1 [This is a DNS Server]

Me Secondary ethernet adapter connected to a router and my DSL service provider
It has a fixed IP of 192.168.1.100
Subnet mast of 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 [Internal address of DSL Router]
2 x DNS addresses are set to the DNS service provided by my ISP

Note: The option to register this address in the DNS if off [as per microsoft documentation]

Note: In some technical papers I read it was recommended that no DNS servers be specified however my system won't let me do that - if I try it automatically sets DNS to 127.0.0.1

The Troubleshooting Assistant provides the following feedback:
No Pointer [PTR] record for IP address 192.168.1.100 can be obtained from and DNS servers. This may cause routing problems when server sends messages to remote servers performing DNS lookups.

The Troubleshooting assistant seems unable to offer any way of resolving this "problem" however [ie completely useless software] so I don't know if this is really an error or not.
If it is an error how do you correct this?

Simon B

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 13
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 14.Aug.2006 4:44:49 AM   
jassyca

Oooooh.. so it has multiple IP's? And it's part of an internal network so you must be using NAT or something. Mine does too. Okay, that gives me some other ideas.

Exchange Administrator --> (Your Domain) --> Administrative Groups --> (Your Netbios domain) --> Servers --> (Your Server's name) --> Protocols --> SMTP --> Default SMTP Virtual Server (or whatever yours might be called).

Right click on "Default SMTP Virtual Server" and choose "Properties".

First page ("General"), what do you see for the IP address? "All unassigned"? Because I'm wondering if, instead, it should be restricted to only the one that connects to your DSL. Like, maybe it's trying to send mail via the wrong IP subnet and not getting anywhere. I've only got one address on my server so I'm not positive if you restrict yours like that that it will help, but I don't see any harm in giving it a try.

I'm a little put off by the NDR message you're getting, "unable to verify address". Tried Google to see what other suggestions there might be and didn't find much except more stuff about DNS. I'm suspicious that there may, indeed, be some type of DNS problem but, to be honest, I'm drawing a blank about what might be wrong.

So, okay, if specifying the IP didn't help, let's try a couple more things.

Go back to "Default SMTP Virtual Server" properties. Notice on the bottom of the general page that here's where you enable SMTP logging. Remember that, might come in handy if all our other attempts continue to fail. Because we can look at the log for the blow-by-blow account of "who said what" and "what was the response" if nothing else works.

Click the "Delivery" tab. Click the "Outbound security" button. On mine, I have "anonymous access" and nothing else enabled on that page. Unless your ISP gave you something specific to put there, how about trying "anonymous"?

Back to the "Delivery" page. "Outbound connections" button. It says to use TCP port 25, right?

Back to the "Delivery" page. Click "Advanced" button. Look at your "Fully qualified domain name". On my server, since it's internal and does not directly deliver messages (it uses a smart host), what you usually see there is your Exchange server's internal DNS name. ie, MyServer.Mydomain.com. However, you might need to change that so that it agrees with your external DNS name. For instance, ours is mail1.mydomain.com. MyServer <> Mail1. (Where <> means "does not equal".) What I'm thinking is: Perhaps your smart host is confused, "Hey, that's not the right name for that server!" Perhaps what's happening is, when your server connects to the smart host, the smart host says "what's your name?" So your server might answer "well, my name is myserver" (ie, the internal name) and when the smart host looks at what server should be at that IP, maybe it sees something like "mail1" instead. So it might be refusing the connection because the names don't match. (However, I believe you would see a different error if that was the case. Like, "connection refused".) So you may need to add your external name to your internal DNS or to your Exchange server's host file so that the external name resolves to your server's internal IP then put that name into the "fully qualified domain name".

Next, since you use a smart host, re-check what's listed in the box under "smart host". Who knows, maybe it's something as simple as a typo. A letter o instead of a zero or something silly. I've also got "attempt direct delivery before sending to smart host". That's enabled even though my Exchange server can NOT deliver external mail itself. I don't remember where but I read that you do that so it doesn't blindly send all your internal messages to the smart host too which, of course, just turns around and sends 'em back since that's the correct final destination. Big ol' waste of time and resources.

Do you have anything in the "masquerade domain"? Mine is blank. However, your ISP might (although it's not likely) have told you to put something in there. If so, go with what they said to do. If not, see what happens if it's blank.

Back to the "Delivery" page. Click the "Configure" button (near the "Configure external DNS servers"). Mine is blank. However, your ISP might have told you to put something there and if so, go with what they said to do.

Okay, let's go take a look at the "Internet Mail Service" connector. Exchange Manager --> (Your domain) --> Administrative Groups --> (Your netbios domain) --> Connectors --> Internet Mail Service. Right click on "Internet mail service" and choose "Properties".

On the "General" page, under "Local bridgeheads", you should see your server's name listed to the left and "Default SMTP Virtual server" (or, if you have multiple virtual SMTP servers, then which ever is the correct SMTP server) on the right. I also have "Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector". If your ISP said to do something different, go with what they said.

Click on the "Delivery Restrictions" tab. I have "by default messages from everyone are - accepted" and there's nothing listed in the "reject messages from".

Click the "Connected Routing Groups" tab. Mine is blank. If your ISP said.. okay, by now you know what I'm gonna say.

Click the "Address Space" tab. I have "SMTP" as the type, * as the address and 1 as the cost. Scope is "entire organization". I don't have a checkmark next to "allow messages to be relayed to these domains".

Click the "Content Restrictions" tab. I have everything checkmarked *except* the box under "allowed sizes".

Click the "Delivery Options" tab. Of all the tabs, this is the one where your ISP would most likely tell you to do something special. Always go with whatever it was they told you. Otherwise, what I've got is "specify when messages are sent" and "always run". Nothing else.

Click the "Advanced" tab. On my server, I have "send HELO instead of EHLO". We did that, however, to fix a specific problem that we had with one company with whom we corresponded heavily. Supposedly their server could handle EHLO and supposedly ours could too.. but nothing helped until we used HELO instead. However, we didn't get the error you're seeing. And it was only with that one company. (Something kept dropping the SMTP session right after EHLO. We even tried it at the command line.) Anyway, just for the giggles and grins, try HELO instead of EHLO.

And that's all I can think of to try, right now.

Each time you make any of the changes above, stop and restart the SMTP service. You don't have to stop all the Exchange services or reboot the server, just the SMTP service. Watch the outbound queue or, if there's nothing there, send a test message. No go? Undo the change and try another. Don't do all the changes at once because, for one, you'll confuse yourself about what all you changed and what used to be there. Plus, if you fix it, you'll never know which change was the right one. So, one change at a time, stop/restart the SMTP service, test it, didn't fix it, put things back like they were and try the next one.

And let us know the results.

(That DNS thing really bothers me.. there's something there. Now, if only I could think what the freak it IS???)

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 14
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 14.Aug.2006 5:14:12 PM   
Cyberpro60

Problem Resolved Successfully - YaaaaaaaaaaY!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks to you Jassyca for all your help !!!!!!

As often happens - it was the simplest thing causing all the problems - but it was your comments about FQDN and logging that gave me an tools to solve it:

I took your suggestion and turned on SMTP logging. In the logs it showed that the email was being relayed to my ISP but their SMTP server looked up the email address used to send my message and rejected it. This was because the email address given was default (internal) mail address created for my account in Exchange/Active_Directory. [ie my email address was in the form somebody@simnet.local]. My ISP's SMTP server, quite properly, found this email address to be invalid. On this basis this email (and all others) were rejected. 

RESOLUTION:

Goto Active_Directory_ Users & Computers
Select each user account
Select "Properties".
Select "EMail Addresses" tab
Create new SMTP account [with a valid (external) email address]
Set this [external] email address to be the "default" SMTP address.
Repeat for all other users with exchange mailboxes.

Problem solved!

Again thanks to all who assisted.

Simon B

(in reply to jassyca)
Post #: 15
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 14.Aug.2006 5:21:14 PM   
Cyberpro60

One other small point:

In working through the various settings for Exchange in your most recent post Jassyca, I set the Virtual SMTP to relay mail to my smart_host as you suggested.

When I ran the Exchange's TroubleShooter it produced an error message to the effect that "it is not recommended seting the virtual SMTP host to connect to a smart host" and it then recommended that this be set at the level of the connector. I followed this advice.

Given that you seem to have set up your exchange server this way perhaps you might like to experiment with removing all reference to the smart host from the Virtual SMTP service and transferring it to the connector instead.

Simon B

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 16
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 14.Aug.2006 6:17:48 PM   
jassyca

Yaaaa!! <Happy dance!>

I'll look into that suggestion about having the smart host only in the connector. Thank you!

(in reply to Cyberpro60)
Post #: 17
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 17.Aug.2006 9:52:52 PM   
rotunnoe

I'm having issues as well. Basically email being sent to domains that do reverse DNS lookup fail. I receive the error: "550REPLY:550_SMTP_connection_refused smtp; Permanent Failure: Other address status". I should preference this by saying that when I was running Windows 2000 server, everything was fine however now that Iím running Windows 2003 server (running Exchnage 2003) Iíve been experiencing all these issues. I have tried all the suggestions on this thread and nothing has worked yet. Have you any other suggestions?

(in reply to jassyca)
Post #: 18
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 17.Aug.2006 10:28:24 PM   
jassyca

quote:

ORIGINAL: rotunnoe

I'm having issues as well. Basically email being sent to domains that do reverse DNS lookup fail. I receive the error: "550REPLY:550_SMTP_connection_refused smtp; Permanent Failure: Other address status".

Are you *sure* it's just the domains that do a reverse dns? How do you know that's the case? (I believe you, I'm just wondering how you know.)

quote:

I should preference this by saying that when I was running Windows 2000 server, everything was fine however now that I'm running Windows 2003 server (running Exchnage 2003) I've been experiencing all these issues. I have tried all the suggestions on this thread and nothing has worked yet. Have you any other suggestions?

I find it annoying that some companies will, indeed, refuse mail because the sender's reverse DNS doesn't match the sending domain. AAARRGH!!!  Don't these idjits realize that you can have multiple domains on one IP?!?!?? According to the RFC's, that's not not NOT a legitimate reason to refuse mail because of that very real possibility! But I will admit that I have seen domains whose admins are dumb enough to use that excuse. Grrrrr.. pinheads.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. That doesn't fix your problem.

If it's really and truly just the domains that do a reverse dns, then what do you see when you do a reverse DNS on the external IP that your server will use? Go to a command prompt, type 'nslookup' and enter your external IP address (has to be the IP that other servers will see your Exchange server as using). What do you see?

If, when you query nslookup, if it doesn't blabber back your host.domain then you'll want to try to fix that. If someone else is handling your DNS, see if you can sweet talk them into changing things. If you're handling your DNS, then get in there and create a PTR record (I think that's the right type).

Let me know if that helped or not.

(in reply to rotunnoe)
Post #: 19
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 18.Aug.2006 12:15:40 AM   
rotunnoe

Well perhaps it isnít reverse DNS lookup. All I know is when I try to email large companies (Comcast.com, Verizonwiress.com) all of the mail is rejected. This all happened with I installed Windows Server 2003 (Fresh of course) and reloaded Exchange 2003 and my settings. Previously I was on Windows Server 2000 with Exchange 2003 and everything worked fine. I set up another domain a few years ago which is running Windows Server 2000 with Exchange 2003 and she can email anyone with no issue. I canít see any difference in her settings and mine. The only difference is the operating system.

Because I have a dynamic IP address I use DNYDNS. I used the same account in my Windows 2000 server and it seems to work with Windows 2003 / exchange 2003 settings. I can tell because if I remove it, I canít email to my AOL account. If I put it in place I can. Now again some accounts can receive the email I send, (Gmail, Earthlink, AOL) but the larger companies canít which is driving me nuts.

BTW Ranting is OK!!

(in reply to jassyca)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter