• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange accounts

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange accounts Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange accounts - 4.Mar.2004 7:52:00 PM   
parkertechgroup

Hi all,
Recently while working on setting up our Exchange server to deliver mail via POP3 and accept mail via SMTP our POP3 Connector stopped delivering mail to the local exchange accounts. However. . . the POP3 connector DOES cull the email from the external POP3 accounts. This does not make for happy users since the email appears to be dropped into a black hole.
I have tried to rebuild the User Mailbox settings under the POP3 connector, but this does not work.
Any suggestions on what direction to take in troubleshooting this problem? I have considered a complete reinstall of exchange. (sigh....)

Thanks,
Chris
Post #: 1
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 12.Mar.2004 3:35:00 PM   
Oxygen

Hi,

I have the very same problem as this on a new installation of Small Business Server 2003. I can see the messages being picked up and passed on, but they never appear in a mail box as if they have been silently dropped or forwarded elsewhere. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

(in reply to parkertechgroup)
Post #: 2
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 16.Mar.2004 8:13:00 PM   
Sachiv

I have the same issue.
You want to set your logging to maximum. Also try setting undeliverable mail to go a mailbox.

I got it working but then if the domain name is unknown it goes into the blackhole you are talking of.

This works all fine and dandy for me until you install ISA.. i opened the ports etc but then it all turns to custard!

I don't have a domain registered and I'm just trying to get my personal email delivered to an exchange account form my isp's pop a/c and sent out via my isp's smtp server..

As yet I don't think it's reliable and quick enough when it is working plus the lack of visibility makes it a bit scary!

Post #: 3
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 23.Mar.2004 12:01:00 PM   
dustymiller

I'm getting this exact problem too, what have we all done differently to SBS2000, or is it the extra security of 2003 ????

Post #: 4
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 23.Mar.2004 12:52:00 PM   
dustymiller

Getting somewhere if i remove my external ISP SMTP address from the users exchange info in AD it delevers the mail, but then if I send mail out it doesnt have the correct emaill address on it, Getting somewhere.

Post #: 5
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 27.Mar.2004 4:19:00 AM   
Lakhbir

Dear All,
I am also facing same problem , after installing SBS 2003. i can see the mails in mail messages coming to POP3 mail connector but is not delivered to the intended user mailbox.

please help me if anyone find a solution to this problem.

regards
Lakhbir

Post #: 6
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 30.Mar.2004 9:29:00 PM   
natehattala

Hello all!
I have been having this very same problem that all of you have expressed. I think I found the solution to the problem.
In another thread on this forum I found a post that suggested to run the "Configure email and internet wizard. So I followed what they said to try. And it worked!

There is a slight little thing that I missed in the Microsoft help while running the "Configure Email and internet connection wizard" When you come to the screen that says "Internet Email" I was reluctant to enable the option for internet email because I didn't want to host my own email server. Well, that is wrong. In the help for that section it says that if you want to use the POP3 connector you have to "enable internet email" because the POP3 connector uses the SBS SMTP connector in order for the POP3 connector to work correctly. I just tried one email and it worked. You have to put in the email domain name that you want it to connect to. ie your external ISP email has the domain name of @externalISP.com then you have to enter that in for the section when it asks you if you have an external domain name. I don't know if this all means that I really am a SMTP server out on the open internet, but I don't believe so because a port checker said that smtp was closed on my router. It appears that the wizard is the only way to wade through the endless property pages to get it to work right.

Soo... I hope this helps all of you. I think my big headache is over with this for now [Smile]

-Nathan

here is the link
http://forums.msexchange.org/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000118

Post #: 7
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 1.Apr.2004 4:10:00 PM   
peterlewis

Hi guys

What u need to do is uninstall the pop3 connector using the SBS Add/remove programs and then re-add it - had the same problem with one of my clients, connector became damaged after a DOS attack

Pete

pete@owsolutions.com

Post #: 8
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 13.Apr.2004 6:57:00 PM   
northnet

None of the above worked for me so here is my solution.

What you need to do is to be sure that there is an email address (set as default) setup for the user that has the address of the POP3 email box you are collecting. For example, if you are checking pop mail for joe@mydomain.com there needs to be a default smtp email address of joe@mydomain.com in Exchange for that user.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

P.S. Thanks for documenting this so well, Microsoft :/

Post #: 9
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 16.Apr.2004 12:07:00 AM   
Mail doesn't go into a black hole. Have the same problem but the pop3 connector stores the mail in "c:\program files\microsoft windows small business server\networking\pop3\failed mail" all stored as *.eml so you can open them with outlook express.

Post #: 10
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 23.Apr.2004 3:24:00 AM   
First of all, excuse my bad english, I'm a belgian guy ;-)
I have the very same problem and after spending some hours to test and retest, I find this: If the primary SMTP address is the POP3 address, the routing of the incoming mail falls in the "black hole". The routing stops at the Categorizer. (have a look on the message tracking!). If the SMTP address is "user@mydomain.local" everything goes well, except that the recipient have "user@mydomain.local" as sender address and in some case the mail is rejected by the ISP. I hope that I've solved the problem, like this: in Outlook, I've defined the POP3 account as primary, so the mails are sent via POP3 with the correct sender address and Exchange still check for mails trought the POP3 Connector. Any comment? Do I made a mistake somewhere?

Post #: 11
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 23.Apr.2004 11:24:00 AM   
andrej

Was just looking at the same problem, you might wanna try to check this thread out:

>Microsoft Exchange 2003>Outlook Web Access>Changing reply address

Post #: 12
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 4.May2004 10:26:00 PM   
i'm still fighting with my exchange server on routing but i found a bunch of failed emails in this folder:
"c:\program files\microsoft windows small business server\networking\pop3\failed mail"

I moved them all to the Incoming Mail folder and attempted to have them delivered again, but it still didn't work. Any ideas on either how to physically move this mail into the proper account, or something else i should be looking for? it's not telling me why these messages failed.
thanks
brian

Post #: 13
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 5.May2004 10:19:00 PM   
badd

I encountered a similar problem when I tried to configure Pop3 Connector for SBS 2000. I found out that the mails have been converted to MSGxxx.MMD (where xxx in the format ddmmyy-hhmmss sort of) under a folder " C:\Program Files\Microsoft BackOffice\Connectivity\POP3 Connector\InForward ".
I first attempted to open them without success. But when I replaced the .MMD with .EML I could open them with Outlook Express. I have not been able to find the solution yet but I think there is a missing link between the connector and the recipient mailboxes. I will be be glad to know what is causing this.

Regards
Emmanuel

Post #: 14
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 8.May2004 5:28:00 AM   
craig70130

Read northnet's reply above. That is usually what causes these problems. You need to ensure that the user has a @mycompany.com SMTP address configured and not just a @mycompany.local or whatever address.

Post #: 15
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 10.May2004 6:43:00 PM   
Eisi2003

I think this is the solution for your problems:

Hello,

This behaviour is a new anti-spam feature of the SBS2K3 POP3 Connector.

Before reinjecting messages, the connector checks whether the principal user email domain is listed in the Default Recipient Policy, whereas all other Exchange features look at the all recipient policies list.

So verify if the principal user's email address is handled by the default domain policy, and if not add it.
There's no impact on adding it if this domain is already listed in other policies.

This behaviour is by design, but actually no KB article references it.

Cheers

Nicolas Di=E9trich
RightVision
France

Post #: 16
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 11.May2004 9:00:00 PM   
I was the same problems as all above, but i thing
that a find out the solution:
This is the procedure:
In section Server management -> Internet and email, click on Connect to internet and on the screen where
is the choise to receive mail, choose ONLY via POP3 Connector and then finish wizard.

NOW it works properly !

(maybe will by nessesary add ISP email domain to Recipient policy too.)

Post #: 17
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 30.May2004 12:59:00 PM   
simon106

I seem to be having the same problem!

The POP3 connector was working fine for about a week, but now any external mail is not being delivered to mailbox's they are being recieved but they seem to be going to the BadMail folder with file extentions .BAD .BDR and .BDP. (does anyone know how to restore these as users are very unhappy!)Internal mail is fine and sending external mail is fine! I have checked My Default recipient policy and is correct! And have also tried adding custom routing rules! Event log says

This is with the routing rule
The message <id: {E3F55BA7-46F3-4C2A-8B0D-9A7176299DF0}> was routed by a global mailbox mapping as follows:
Original Recipient: <sarmitage@globaleye.com>.
- routed via routing rule to <sarmitage>.

This is without routing rule
The message <id: {45306790-56C1-4BFE-9CE7-3DEB104B98EF}> was routed by a global mailbox mapping as follows:
Original Recipient: <rpillai@globaleye.com>.
- routed via domain substitution to <rpillai@GLOBALEYE.COM>.

But the messages were not delivered

Also I am getting bounce back emails saying the following

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

mspop3connector.sarmitage@globaleye.com

To: "IMB Recipient 1" <mspop3connector.sarmitage@globaleye.com>
Subject: test
Sent: 30 May 2004 10:22:54

Does it have somthing to do with DNS!

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Simon

Post #: 18
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 11.Jun.2004 11:35:00 AM   
brettk

Hi all,
I'm having same problem and it seems to happen when I wanted to change the primary smtp reply address the email drops into this "black" hole. If I change it back to the "original incorrect" reply address, email is delivered to the mailbox????

Post #: 19
RE: POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange acco... - 15.Jun.2004 8:15:00 PM   
I was wondering if anybody had come up with an answer to Simon's problem? I'm having the exact same problem myself.

-mcgoogus

quote:
Originally posted by simon106:
I seem to be having the same problem!

The POP3 connector was working fine for about a week, but now any external mail is not being delivered to mailbox's they are being recieved but they seem to be going to the BadMail folder with file extentions .BAD .BDR and .BDP. (does anyone know how to restore these as users are very unhappy!)Internal mail is fine and sending external mail is fine! I have checked My Default recipient policy and is correct! And have also tried adding custom routing rules! Event log says

This is with the routing rule
The message <id: {E3F55BA7-46F3-4C2A-8B0D-9A7176299DF0}> was routed by a global mailbox mapping as follows:
Original Recipient: <sarmitage@globaleye.com>.
- routed via routing rule to <sarmitage>.

This is without routing rule
The message <id: {45306790-56C1-4BFE-9CE7-3DEB104B98EF}> was routed by a global mailbox mapping as follows:
Original Recipient: <rpillai@globaleye.com>.
- routed via domain substitution to <rpillai@GLOBALEYE.COM>.

But the messages were not delivered

Also I am getting bounce back emails saying the following

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

mspop3connector.sarmitage@globaleye.com

To: "IMB Recipient 1" <mspop3connector.sarmitage@globaleye.com>
Subject: test
Sent: 30 May 2004 10:22:54

Does it have somthing to do with DNS!

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Simon

Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> POP3 Connector not delivering mail to exchange accounts Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter