• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

PUSH mail stopped working

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> PUSH mail stopped working Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PUSH mail stopped working - 10.Jun.2012 6:45:25 PM   
isdpcman

Our exchange 2003 server has been working for years now and running great. Friday push mail quit working. OWA works. We have rebooted the server but still now success. Not sure what to check or how to discover WHY it quit working.

Any troubleshooting advise is welcomed!
Post #: 1
RE: PUSH mail stopped working - 13.Jun.2012 8:01:12 AM   
isdpcman

update: we discovered a security certificate expired. the old cert was removed and a new 3 year cert was installed.

on devices that can poll and pull email they are receiving exchange mail. on those that only do push mail they are not receiving email
is there something I need to do to refresh activesync to get it to resume pushing email again??

(in reply to isdpcman)
Post #: 2
RE: PUSH mail stopped working - 15.Jun.2012 10:05:14 AM   
mtn_lion

Exact same thing here: SBS 20003, iPhones and iPads had been receiving push email for years without problem. Then a couple of weeks ago we replaced the expiring IIS wildcard certificate with a new SAN certificate, and suddenly since then none of the i-devices will receive push email. Mail flows in just fine when users open the mail app on the devices. We tried removing and recreating accounts on the devices; no change. What gives?

< Message edited by mtn_lion -- 15.Jun.2012 10:06:31 AM >

(in reply to isdpcman)
Post #: 3
RE: PUSH mail stopped working - 15.Jun.2012 11:01:51 AM   
mtn_lion

Update, FWIW, found this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-730500.html

...which says issue can be fixed by deleting account from device, emailing new certificate to device via a different account, tapping on cert to install it, then recreating account.

Did all that but still no joy.

Strangely, the new cert on the device (Settings, General, Profiles) says "Not Trusted" and "The authenticity of [cert name] cannot be verified." The new cert/OWA/Outlook Anywhere all work just fine on computers (Windows computers, anyway). On the device, email works as it did before this attempt: no push, but email flows in when the mail app is open.

So why can't the iPad/iPhone verify the new cert?

(in reply to mtn_lion)
Post #: 4
RE: PUSH mail stopped working - 15.Jun.2012 5:11:00 PM   
mtn_lion

Update 2: Found posts saying GoDaddy's intermediate certificate needed to be installed on device; removed account, installed intermed. cert and our specific cert--both now say "Trusted." Recreated account. STILL NO JOY. Email works fine, but only when I open the mail app, no push.

http://blogs.citrix.com/2010/01/20/how-to-fix-godaddy-server-certificate-trust-issue-on-safari-and-iphone/

(in reply to mtn_lion)
Post #: 5
RE: PUSH mail stopped working - 16.Jun.2012 9:52:33 PM   
mtn_lion

Solved, in our case: Our IIS server uses a custom web site for Outlook (OWA, Outlook Anywhere, ActiveSync), and while I had installed the updated certificate for that site, I had forgotten to do it for the IIS Default Web Site (on which the system still partly relies). As soon as I did that, push started working again. Oops. Live and learn.

(in reply to mtn_lion)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> PUSH mail stopped working Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter