• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Parent Object inheritance

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Parent Object inheritance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Parent Object inheritance - 11.Jun.2008 9:39:47 AM   
cheri.loehr

At my server level in Exchange System manager, the permissions are inherited from a parent object.  Per advanced security properties, I have two allow permissions not inherited and the same two deny permissions that are inherited from parent object.  Where does this parent object come from?

Thank you in advance for any assistance in where to look for this parent object and how to remove the deny permissions.

Sincerely,
Cheri
Post #: 1
RE: Parent Object inheritance - 11.Jun.2008 10:59:49 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Your question doesn't make much sense to me in English but I've taken a guess. I think you might want to see where the inherited permissions are coming from. By default the Security tab is not shown at the Organization level but there is a registry change you can do in order to expose that. See: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/BestPractice/BestPractice7.htm#2)%20Registry%20Hack%20for%20Exchange%202000 for the reg key you need.

If that wasn't what you were looking for please feel free to clarify this post or ask a fresh question.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to cheri.loehr)
Post #: 2
RE: Parent Object inheritance - 11.Jun.2008 4:49:42 PM   
cheri.loehr

Sorry to seem encryptic...and lack of knowledge of where to look....I have Exch 2003 SP 2 on a W2k3 SP2 server.  I use Symantec BE11d to backup my mailboxes.  Per Symantec a BE account is required that has send as and receive as permissions to successfully backup, catalog and restore mailboxes.  This account also needs to have Exchange Full Administration delegation.  In Exchange System manager I have delgated control to account and when I look at permissions at the exchange server the account has deny send as and receive as permissions that have been inherited from parent object.  I need to know where this parent object is so I may remove the deny permissions.  I have attempted to set elicit permissions but this doesn't resolve my issue with backups.

I have followed your link...though I viewability of the security tab without registry entry.

I hope this helps...
Thank you again in advance for any assistance.
Cheri

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Parent Object inheritance - 11.Jun.2008 4:58:44 PM   
mark@mvps.org

OK, so you don't need the link I sent you. What you do need is to re-check the documentation from Symentec. The Backup Exec account does need a number of rights but you are making it a lot, lot more complex than you need to.

You might be best calling support in your own language.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to cheri.loehr)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Parent Object inheritance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter