• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Prevent Exchange from using second NIC adapter.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Prevent Exchange from using second NIC adapter. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Prevent Exchange from using second NIC adapter. - 16.Oct.2009 11:50:38 AM   
x0rerror

Hi Guys, we added a new NIC to our server for backup purposes.

Our exchange 2007 server has an IP of 10.0.0.49 The backup NIC adapter has an IP of 192.168.22.100

When sending emails and checking tracking log, i notice it uses the 192.168 IP.

How can i prevent Exchange 2007 from using the seocond NIC adapter?

thanks alot.
Post #: 1
RE: Prevent Exchange from using second NIC adapter. - 16.Oct.2009 12:08:05 PM   
mark@mvps.org

This is more Windows than Exchange. You have to change the binding orders of the card to know the backup LAN to the bottom. You give it a backup LAN IP address, not a user LAN address. You don't give the card a gateway address, WINS or DNS addresses. You also untick the client for ms networks and the other client tickbox that escapes me :)

Once you've done that there will be no route to where your SMTP needs to get to over that LAN.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to x0rerror)
Post #: 2
RE: Prevent Exchange from using second NIC adapter. - 22.Oct.2009 5:37:18 PM   
jermlac

i have a second passive server in another office that i replicate too with neverfail. it would be nice to enable a second nic on the machine so i can do real antivirus and other updates to the machine instead of trying to find a way to get them over through our neverfail channel nics.

i may have to try this idea out there. (neverfail downs your primary nic on the passive server so that it is not seen on the network.) the secondary nic is used for neverfail file replication across a seperate vlan channel.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Prevent Exchange from using second NIC adapter. - 22.Oct.2009 9:12:32 PM   
mark@mvps.org

No. Utterly dumb idea. Do not multihome your Exchange server in this idea.
Sure, have a replication adapter. Sure, have one to be the backup LAN (without services etc. and on a discreet segment) and sure, same again for management. But the updates and stuff come from the Internet so it's a bad idea.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to jermlac)
Post #: 4
RE: Prevent Exchange from using second NIC adapter. - 23.Oct.2009 10:35:39 AM   
jermlac

good reality check. :)

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Prevent Exchange from using second NIC adapter. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter