• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Problems with exchange 5.5

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Problems with exchange 5.5 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 5:01:34 PM   
Viper62

I try to run the administrator for Exchange 5.5 and i get the following error DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM and if I try to browse for the Exchange server it says "The list of Microsoft Exchange Server computers is not available because no Microsoft Exchange server could be located". Its kind of funny in that this Exchange server has been up and running for them for years but the administrator has never worked since I took over the network. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have purchased exchange 2000 and want to upgrade via the mailbox move process.
Post #: 1
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 5:52:46 PM   
Xguru

Hey,

The problem that you have mentioned does point to issues with the directory service. If you are not aware when you open the exchange admin program what happens in the background is it connects to your directory service.

I suspect either permissions or the directory service database is toast. please try the steps below and let me know if get any success;

1. open the services console and confirm that all services i.e SA, IS and DS have the same domain account, if not change it to reflect to the same account and also retype the password.
2. stop the directory service and under command prompt type c:\exchsrvr\dsadata\eseutil /g /v /x dir.edb >c:\dir.txt. check the output dir.txt for errors and please paste the same in the blog.

Note: If you have issue with the dir.edb file you may not be able to proceed with the migration to exchange 2000 using the ADC method.

XGURU

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 7:49:58 PM   
Viper62

All services except for the ADC service were pointing to the LocalSystem account. I have changed them all to match what I have for the ADC service which is my main admin account which has all the power so to speak. At shift change 3pm est I will restart the server and try the administrator. After that I will try your other option and see what I get. In the meantime if you are in need of any additional information to assess the situation just let me know. Thanx for your help and the quick response.

Mike

(in reply to Xguru)
Post #: 3
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 8:44:09 PM   
Xguru

Heyyyyyyyyyyy.........

Exchange 5.5 services should always run on domain account... and its nessecary that it runs on the Service account. I would advice you to change all the services to run on domain account only (domain admin account that was used to install the exchange server).

XGURU

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 4
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 8:51:18 PM   
zbnet

If you click on the site's Configuration container in Exchange Admin, then look at the Properties, the Service Account Password tab will show you the current service account for the site.  This is the account you need to have the services running under, as Xguru suggests.

If you don't know the password, then tell us that BEFORE YOU RESET IT!  You need to be very carefull when changing the service account password...

(in reply to Xguru)
Post #: 5
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 9:08:49 PM   
Viper62

Unfortunately thats the problem - the admin has never come up since I took over the network. Im trying to resolve that issue so that I can move on to installing exchange 2000. Thanx so much for all your input - it is greatly appreciated.

Mike

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 6
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 9:35:40 PM   
Viper62

Ok here are the results - before rebooting the server I changed all the services to load as my admin account - when I rebooted the server and it came up some of the processes did not start (POP3, IMAP4 & ROUTING ENGINE) - I tried to manually start them but I get the message: Error 1079 "The account specified for this service is different for the account specified for other services running in the same process". I have checked and all other services are now running under the main account. There could be one problem if it is an absolute that you have to run under the account exchange was installed with because I demoted that account transferring everything (the power) to my new domain account. What do you suggest I try now?

Mike

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 7
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 10:02:27 PM   
zbnet

Sorry, I missed the point that your admin wasn't working!  That'll teach me to speed-read the thread before wading in.

Messing with the service account for Exchange 5.5 is a big no-no.  You should try and reinstate any changes you made to the account.

How do you manage without an admin console?  What do you do for mailbox management?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/support/changing.mspx has instructions on how to change the service account - I'mnot sure we're there yet, but read it anyway, it gives lots of really useful background on the account, the dependencies, permissions, rights etc and could well help you out of your current hole.

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 8
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 10:32:03 PM   
Viper62

First - I would like to verify what the service account is for sure as I was making an educated guess that it was the old admin account (I have since re-added all the group rights that I took away which was all that I did and it still made no difference). I have never had the administrator work even before I changed that access around. So is there any way that you can verify the service account via the registry or anything else? Not being able to access the adminstrator has been challenging at times but I have survived. I have ordered Exchange 2000 and have been eager to get rid of my inherited 5.5 mess. Network was in horrible shape and I have recently just cleaned up a DNS nightmare. So any help getting this resolved is more appreciated than you know. Thanx again for all your help.

PS - One thing to note the seemed a little odd - when I added the domain admin account to the logon as tab in services it came up in an unusual way. Normally I am use to seeing the account as domain\domain_account but it came up as domain_account@domain instead. Is that correct?

Mike

< Message edited by Viper62 -- 15.Feb.2006 10:43:04 PM >

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 9
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 11:06:24 PM   
Viper62

Ok just to humor myself I went ahead and changed all the service accounts to be uniformed as it showed up in secpol per that article you showed me and the end result is the same. All accounts are entered as domain\domain_account but it made no difference, just an FYI.

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 10
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 11:24:59 PM   
Xguru

Heyyy.....

routing engine, IMAP4, POP3 u said??????????????

You are talking about exchange 200X and not exchange 5.5

XGURU

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 11
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 11:31:11 PM   
Viper62

No - what I am working on now is my Exchange 5.5 - Once I get this resolved I will be loading 2000 on new hardware. It wouldnt even let me install 2000 yet but one problem at a time.

PS - It is totally possible that they tried to install 2000 over 5.5 or some other half arsed thing - there is no telling. This network was so bad when I took it over they had no firewall - no AV - no backups, they had more problems then carter has liver pills. I have gotten most things under control but there still are a couple of things. Oh yea they also made this a single label domain to boot.

< Message edited by Viper62 -- 15.Feb.2006 11:35:05 PM >

(in reply to Xguru)
Post #: 12
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 15.Feb.2006 11:54:11 PM   
Xguru

Possibly a failed Exchange 2000 install.

I would advise that you take offline backups of your database, clean your server and install Exchange 2000 and restore the databases. This is called the forklift method.

XGURU

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 13
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 16.Feb.2006 4:16:33 PM   
Viper62

The future home of the 2000 exchange is on new hardware but if you think thats my best bet do you have any faq's or articles on this process? Then we have the problem where I cant install exchange 2000 because i get the following error:

- Active Directory has not replicated all the necessary permissions for the deleted items container. Please wait until replication completes before running setup.

Now I have been getting this error since the first time I tried installing 2000 a few weeks ago. I figured I would resolve the 5.5 problems first before moving on to this but now it may all need to be looked at. Let me know your input as it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx...

Mike

(in reply to Xguru)
Post #: 14
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 16.Feb.2006 11:00:19 PM   
Viper62

My ultimate goal is to install exchange 2000 on new hardware and import the mailbox data (contact & calendar stuff too) to the new 2000 server and then decomission the old 5.5 server from the domain.

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 15
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 17.Feb.2006 1:07:51 AM   
Xguru

Hey,

The forklifting method is mentioned in the article below;
XADM: Forklifting All Users to a New Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=199954

This article applies to Exchange 5.5 but, you may want to use the steps in this article to restore an Exchange 5.5 database on an Exchange 200X server.

This method would end up consuming very less time and if done properly can save a lot of time.

XGURU

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 16
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 17.Feb.2006 3:48:21 PM   
Viper62

Great and thanx! Do you have any ideas as to why Im getting that error when trying to install 2000?

(in reply to Xguru)
Post #: 17
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 17.Feb.2006 5:20:21 PM   
Viper62

Ok I did some more research and found an article where it covered the 2000 error im getting. I used the 5.5 manager module and delegated full control to my new domain admin account and it allowed me to now run the install of 2000. I did not do it however but I got past the error. I restored priviledges to the old admin account but am still unable to access the administrator for 5.5. I will keep you posted if I make further progress.

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 18
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 19.Feb.2006 7:51:45 PM   
Xguru

Cool...

I am here to assist if you get stuck anywhere.

XGURU

(in reply to Viper62)
Post #: 19
RE: Problems with exchange 5.5 - 20.Feb.2006 7:41:30 PM   
Viper62

Ok I am going over the forklifting material you sent me. It still seems to refer me to using the Administrator for 5.5 to get the DN information of the system attendant and some other stuff. The administrator module is not accessible for 5.5. I am hoping to get this done this coming weekend but want to make sure I have everything covered. There is no public folders that will need to be moved, just private mailboxes (contacts, calendars and all that). I am trying to understand what step 5 of the advanced preparation is all about, having to create a distribution list or address book view.

This is still saying that even if I move the physical priv.edb that I will still need to perform the mailbox move function from within the administrator, is this true? I guess I should go ahead and install 2000 on the new hardware to make sure there are no issues there. Once Im done this is going to be the only exchange server I have. Let me know your thoughts on this and whether or not I will be able to do this without the admin module for 5.5. Thanx...

Mike

(in reply to Xguru)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Problems with exchange 5.5 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter