• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Questions on Exmerge

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Questions on Exmerge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions on Exmerge - 6.Sep.2004 8:48:00 PM   
catacomb

Can someone provide me with the steps on how to install Exmerge and how to use it? Am not so good with scripting. If I use Exmerge fro Exchange5.5 to Exchange 2003, will the mails in the current Exchange 2003 be gone? Meaning is it a real merge or overwrite and can it migrate over calendaring and contacts or task? Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Questions on Exmerge - 6.Sep.2004 9:41:00 PM   
rytmehans

Hi,

When you download exmerge there should also have been a document explaining exactly how to use it.

Exmerge can import emails to a mailbox and merge with the existing mailbox so no mails should be lost.

Just to make sure start by importing a test mailbox (like your own after having created a backup from Outlook) and make sure that the emails from the pst file and the current mailbox are merged.

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions on Exmerge - 6.Sep.2004 10:24:00 PM   
catacomb

ok thanks because I didn't copy it into the /bin folder. I read some documents mentioning using Exchange Administrator but I don't actually have one in my Exchange2003 server. Is this a ownself create account or defaulted when installing Exchange2003?

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions on Exmerge - 6.Sep.2004 10:34:00 PM   
rytmehans

Hi,

Exchange system Manager will be installed automatically when installing a typical exchange 2003. If you don't have it it is possible to start exchange setup again and select to install system management. Remember to reapply all relevant SP's and hotfixes after the installation of ESM (SP's and hotfixes that you have applied today)

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions on Exmerge - 7.Sep.2004 4:58:00 AM   
catacomb

Thanks I have the ESM but is there such a thing as Exchange Administrator group? Another thing is that I already have admin rights in the mailbox but apparently I still got authority error. My old Exchange is a 5.5. Thanks

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions on Exmerge - 7.Sep.2004 7:45:00 PM   
rytmehans

Hi,

In exchange 200x admins are denied access to mailboxes (this is a security measure). In order to use exmerge as an admin you need to have send as and receive as permissions on the mailboxes.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273642

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 6
RE: Questions on Exmerge - 7.Sep.2004 8:30:00 PM   
catacomb

I have actually checked and both the send as and receive as options are checked. The problem I am facing now is I am able to successfully copied the pst files from my old exchange to my exchange2003 without any errors but when I try to put it into the user's mailbox, I hit errors.

I am using the 2 steps method. WHen I choose the pst file and then click next, there isn't any mailbox for me to select and it will have a pop up message saying there isn't any user found.

I was told that the display name needs to be the same but after I changed it.. I still hit the error. Is there any other requirement that I need to set? Thanks

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions on Exmerge - 8.Sep.2004 9:10:00 PM   
rytmehans

Hi,

The mailbox has to be created. Mailenable the user and send him an email.

Actually the display name don't have to be the same but the alias either has to be the same or you need to rename the exported pst file before importing.

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 8
RE: Questions on Exmerge - 9.Sep.2004 8:01:00 AM   
catacomb

I did that but still have the same message

I didn't specify the domain

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Questions on Exmerge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter