• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Raid Config

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Raid Config Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Raid Config - 20.Jan.2010 5:03:34 PM   
mikes8500

I'm setting up 2010 on a single box a Dell PE R710 with 6 300gb 15k sas drives and the Perc 6i controller.

I'm doing the os and exchange install on a raid 1 2 disk array and the database on a raid 10 with the remaing 4 disks. I'm setting the raid strip size to 256kb and enabling write back and adaptive read ahead on the controller for both virtual disks.

I've read that it is best to configure the raid cache for 75% write and 25% read though I'm not sure that is possible with this controller, maybe with open manage?

Does this sound like a good disk config? I'm looking for screaming performance for the owners. Small amount of mailboxes but very large ones.10gb.
Post #: 1
RE: Raid Config - 25.Jan.2010 4:37:35 AM   
rishishah

Because Exchange 2010 uses JBOD you will get a much better performance with the Raid 10 that you would have got with Exchange 2007 on the same kit.

However what you dont say is other things like Processor, RAM???

Also things such as Mailbox Anti-virus will affect performance.

Finally if you have an Enterprise lisense, consider implementing Exchange 2010 Archive.

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to mikes8500)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Raid Config Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter