• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Random RPC Latency Issues with 2003-2010 migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Random RPC Latency Issues with 2003-2010 migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random RPC Latency Issues with 2003-2010 migration - 17.Jul.2012 3:13:53 AM   
AdamColliss

Hi

We are in the process of migrating from our old Exchange 2003 system (single server) to a 3 server DAG (2 on main site, 1 in DR site) using a HLB to provide a CAS array.

We have got to the stage of moving a few test mailboxes across to the new system but every few days we seem to be getting a few minutes of high RPC averaged latency (this mostly occurs out of working hours when no-one is using the system). We are running a data collector set to check the RPC averaged latency and occasionally it goes up to 25+ for 10 minutes or so then goes back down to 1. Running exmon doesn't really give us an idea where the problem could lie, we've also run the ExBPA across the infrastructure a few times and found no problems. Hardware and network are both well up to the task (DAG runs on a separate replication network).

Are these occasional peaks in RPC averaged latency anything to worry about? We thought it should never go over 2?

Advice greatly appreciated!
Post #: 1
RE: Random RPC Latency Issues with 2003-2010 migration - 20.Jul.2012 8:39:45 PM   
Gigabitz

NEWS FLASH

EXCHANGE 2010 CAS array - One CAS array per AD Site, and a single CAS array cannot span multiple sites.

When you assigned the array to an MB database using the set-mailboxdatabase you did use the RpcClientAccess parameter correct?

Client access is different than an Exchange 2007 environment and the client access is mediated by the CAS so based on the Client versions of outlook you need to look at how your RPC encryption is setup. Once the RPC client access is corrected you will then need to look at your throttling policies.

(in reply to AdamColliss)
Post #: 2
RE: Random RPC Latency Issues with 2003-2010 migration - 23.Jul.2012 4:23:06 AM   
AdamColliss

Thanks for the reply, our DR site and main site are both in the same AD. RPCClientAccessServer is set to cas.<internal AD domain>.local. 99% of the time we have no issues at all, just random RPC spikes every few days. We are using the default throttling policies.

(in reply to Gigabitz)
Post #: 3
RE: Random RPC Latency Issues with 2003-2010 migration - 5.Aug.2012 4:36:16 AM   
Exchange_Geek

I tend to resort to the following articles to start off with issues.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2005/09/28/411674.aspx
http://msexchangeguru.com/2011/02/27/rpc-issues/
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff367871.aspx

Gather perfmon data counters to understand the variation of normal versus sluggish performance time range. If this is a particular time of the day and happens suppose 1ce or 2ce a week, you'd be more interested to check if this is an issue with a particular store / couple of users on a store / MAPI or NON-MAPI clients, likewise drill down to get more specific.

You could consider session limits of users on the store IF you conclude that users are misutilizing store limits
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff477612.aspx

Regards,
Exchange_Geek

(in reply to AdamColliss)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Random RPC Latency Issues with 2003-2010 migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter