• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 13.Sep.2000 9:06:00 AM   
How is this done ??

I need to check if one of users who is away on holiday has recieved a certain mail.

I thought as a security measure and privacy this option was not there but thinking about it what on servers that have a postmaster who manually checks outgoing and incoming mail?

Any response appreciated THANKS

Post #: 1
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 13.Sep.2000 9:20:00 AM   
xper

quote:
Originally posted by M$Exchange:
How is this done ??

I need to check if one of users who is away on holiday has recieved a certain mail.

I thought as a security measure and privacy this option was not there but thinking about it what on servers that have a postmaster who manually checks outgoing and incoming mail?

Any response appreciated THANKS

you can open anybody's e-mail using the administrator.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 14.Sep.2000 4:02:00 AM   
how please??

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 14.Sep.2000 4:24:00 AM   
taylord

How about just creating a new Outlook profile for the user on your pC and doing it that way ?.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 14.Sep.2000 11:01:00 AM   
gdh

To access another user's mailbox I open Outlook and go to Tools, Services, Exchange Server Properties, Advanced tab, and then Add the mailbox I want to open. The user's mailbox shows up along with mine in the Outlook Folder List (View, Folder List).

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 5
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 20.Sep.2000 2:31:00 PM   
quote:
Originally posted by gdh:
To access another user's mailbox I open Outlook and go to Tools, Services, Exchange Server Properties, Advanced tab, and then Add the mailbox I want to open. The user's mailbox shows up along with mine in the Outlook Folder List (View, Folder List).

It shows up but when I go to open it I get
'Unable to display the folder' Operation failed' Is there some security that needs to be setup? I also have an NT login account associated with all the mailboxes

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 6
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 20.Sep.2000 3:23:00 PM   
CCapro

If you receive that error, go to the recipients container in Exchange Admin program and add yourself as a "user" in the "permissions" tab for the user in question.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 7
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 20.Sep.2000 5:59:00 PM   
after6

Or you can simply log on to your machine as that postmaster user account, then configure Outlook to open that users mailbox. We do it all the time when we are having problems with a mail server to verify that it will pass mail to all of the other mail servers in our site. One person sends a message to testusers located on each mail server in the site; the other logs on as the mail admin account and verifies delivery and sends a reply.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 21.Sep.2000 12:48:00 PM   
jonjackson

I don't remember exactly what containers they are in, but in exch. admin, there are about 4 places you can put your login id to give you admin priv. without logging in as postmaster. I can open anybody's mailbox from my login. If you need more info, leave your email address and I will reply directly.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 9
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 21.Sep.2000 12:50:00 PM   
jonjackson

I don't remember exactly what containers they are in, but in exch. admin, there are about 4 places you can put your login id to give you admin priv. without logging in as postmaster. I can open anybody's mailbox from my login. If you need more info, leave your email address and I will reply directly.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 10
RE: Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account - 21.Sep.2000 5:10:00 PM   
gdh

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Hansen:

It shows up but when I go to open it I get
'Unable to display the folder' Operation failed' Is there some security that needs to be setup? I also have an NT login account associated with all the mailboxes

If you look at the Properties for the Site is your NT account (or group that you are in) listed with Service Account Admin permissions? If not, it probably should be.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Reading users mail through Admin/Service Account Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter