• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Realworld Disk Requirements?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Realworld Disk Requirements? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Realworld Disk Requirements? - 5.Jan.2010 10:13:37 AM   
SamBooka

Hi,
We are doing going from 2k3 to 2k10.
I am having a hard time finding good rules of thumb for disk requirements.
Specifically, space and hardware requirements for transaction logs.

The docs I have from MS say that 2k10 is much better with hardware performance (e.g. put your transaction logs and dbs on the same SATA 1GB drives, dont bother with RAID 5 or RAID 10 etc).

We are kinda skeptical about this. At the same time, if this is even partially true it would be more economical to use the sata drives.

We have a SAN with both FC 15k drives and SATA drives. The original plan was two Raid 0/1 LUNS FC15K LUNS (one for each Server) and two Raid5 FC15K Luns for the databases.

Does this seem like overkill to you? We are about 500 users with 500mb mailboxes. What is a safe disk size just for the transaction logs?

Sorry for the longwinded first post. I have been lurking here for a while but now we really have to retire our 2k3 servers. Happy New Year.

Drew
Post #: 1
RE: Realworld Disk Requirements? - 6.Jan.2010 11:04:18 AM   
haplo

Hiya, MS have released their storage calculator for Exchange 2010. We were a bit sceptical about its accuracy but did some manual checking of the numbers against a customers existing 2003 implementation on a DEll EMC SAN and it was very accurate. I suggest you use this as your first port of call. We used the 2007 equivalent all the time and never had a performance issue. With regard to their storage information, its now all published on Technet and is self explanatory. Rule of thumb is as follows:-

3 or more copies - JBOD is possible
2 or less copies then RAID 1+0 or RAID 5 is still required
There is no longer a requirement to seperate logs and databases but you still might want to dependent on the number of database copies you have or your backup strategy

(in reply to SamBooka)
Post #: 2
RE: Realworld Disk Requirements? - 6.Jan.2010 12:30:25 PM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: haplo

There is no longer a requirement to seperate logs and databases ...

This is true in HA scenarios. In a regular stand alone (No DAG that is) you still need to take care of the log files and put them on separate HDD/LUN.

Exchange Databases and Transactions still follow the ACID model and as such your Transaction Log files is your D (Durability) in the ACID model.

In Exchange 2010 HA (DAG) your DatabaseCopies are your safe guard. But this is disaster recovery recommendations. You still have to factor in possible performance issues.

Alot more is here: Understanding Storage Configuration

(in reply to haplo)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Realworld Disk Requirements? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter