• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Recover Received Mail from Transaction Logs after Exchange Rebuild

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Recover Received Mail from Transaction Logs after Exchange Rebuild Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recover Received Mail from Transaction Logs after Excha... - 24.Jan.2009 3:06:28 AM   
wambugu

Dear All

I have 3 exchange servers . a member server had mad.exe infected by some
virus . I cleaned this and ended up getting a fault on store.exe

Nevertheless I ended up reformatting the whole machine and reinstalling exchange.

Unfortunately after the crash while I was still trying to fix the store.exe the
SMTP service was running and mails were being delivered to the server but not to
the information store.

I had done a bck up on the day of the crash 19th and I realised that the SMTP service
was still  on 22nd . Which means that mails sent to the users - mostly internal were being routed
to the failed box . There were also 2 new transaction logs which I presume were the data
for mails from the 19th to 22nd.

I checked that all the transaction logs and .edb files were OK using eseutil.exe . The database
were in clean shutdown state.

After reinstalling using the /disasterrecovery option .I also applied SP2 using the disasterrecovery option. The backup .bf file could not be restored
for some reason about the exchange server being unavailable.
so  I simply copied back the mdbdata items to the new location and rebooted the machine.
The store did not mount immediately though I noticed the transaction logs were being replayed.
After deleting all the log files ( I still have the backup) the exchange finally
mounted the store. All queued mail on the primary Exchange server were then delivered
to the users stores.

I would like to be able to get the mails sent from 19th to 22nd ( before I stopped the SMTP service).
How do I go about it? Now that users are already receiving and sending.
I still have all the transaction logs since the backup immediately before the server crash.

NB: during the recovery I was forced to delete the member server account from AD since I could not reset the 'domain controller account" , waited for replication and rejoined the domain afresh.

Post #: 1
RE: Recover Received Mail from Transaction Logs after E... - 3.Feb.2009 10:00:15 PM   
Meens

Hi,

Can you get the error that you are getting when you restore the backup?
also is that NTBACKUP?

The Best option to Choose at this point is to (if we can get the backup to restore well)

-> create a Recovery Storage Group (RSG) in your Exchange 2003 server
-> Restore the Backup in the RSG
-> Before mounting the Mailbox store in RSG, move the log files (after the crash till the rebuild) to the C:\temp\<Storage Group> or any other location where you have pointed the restore to happen.
-> Now run the hard recovery command: eseutil /cc <Path of restore.env> and this should replay the log files
-> Mount the stores in RSG and merge the mails back to the current production database.

Note: Please do let me know if you require elaborate steps. Also, I am assuming that you have an online backup

Regards,
Meens

(in reply to wambugu)
Post #: 2
RE: Recover Received Mail from Transaction Logs after E... - 4.Feb.2009 1:25:34 AM   
gladone

Try to replay those two log files running hard recovery in RSG.

(in reply to Meens)
Post #: 3
RE: Recover Received Mail from Transaction Logs after E... - 4.Feb.2009 1:39:58 AM   
gladone

If store is crashed how wud d the transactions happen

(in reply to gladone)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Recover Received Mail from Transaction Logs after Exchange Rebuild Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter