• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 30.Mar.2011 11:39:52 AM   
Ytsejamer1

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice on the best way to proceed.  One of our executives somehow had items go missing from her inbox.  As an executive, I need to be able to restore the mailbox and search for items that were in there at a certain date.

I do full backups with Veritas Netbackup Enterprise and have the database I need to restore.

I don't want to restore the entire database back to the existing server, but another exchange 2007 SP3 UR2 mailbox server with a RSG I hope to create.  Once I get that database loaded in the RSG, I'd like to attach a particular mailbox to a test user so that I can simply go in and pick out what I need. 

Any advice on restoring the EDB and files with Netbackup would be greatly appreciated.  I'm just not sure how best to proceed with the process.  I'm currently cooking up the exchange server I hope to use to receive the recovered database.

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 30.Mar.2011 2:11:50 PM   
de.blackman

If that is what you are planning, you can forget about it! Mailboxes located in an RSG cannot be connected to a user account! You can only use tools to open the database and manipulate the mailboxes. In addition you have to make sure that the service pack level and UR are identical on the production and recovery servers!

Why do you not just restore to the production server into an RSG?

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Ytsejamer1)
Post #: 2
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 30.Mar.2011 3:08:48 PM   
Ytsejamer1

Thanks much for the reply.  I'm hoping to avoid loading a RSG on the server where the execs mailbox is located.  My new exchange server is just about done and in place (need to tweak the config a bit more) and is running the same level of SP and UR. 

I was looking at this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997694%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx.  The command of interest is:

If you want to restore a mailbox in an RSG into a different active mailbox, run the following Exchange Management Shell command:
Restore-Mailbox -RSGMailbox 'John Smith' -RSGDatabase 'RSG\Mailbox Database' -id 'Allison Brown' -TargetFolder 'JSmith Email'

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 30.Mar.2011 3:41:43 PM   
de.blackman

Yes, understood (about the restore to production)! The command you specified is used to access mailboxes in an RSG database and export content from it to be placed into another person's mailbox. This will work for your scenario but you cannot connect the mailbox in the RSG to a user.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Ytsejamer1)
Post #: 4
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 30.Mar.2011 9:50:42 PM   
Ytsejamer1

So that command will just simply mount the entire mailbox of user A and overwrite the mailbox of user B.  I'll probably just create a test user mailbox with nothing in it so I'm not worried about that either...just curious.  I've gone so long without ever having to do a restore.  Its an exercise I should do on a regular basis.

Anyone have any experience setting up mailbox level backup policies in Netbackup.  I have that option, but when I try and expand the FSG on an exchange server, it doesn't display any mailboxes.  The service account has full rights all the way down the organization and in 2007 land, is a organization administrator and exchange server administrator on each server.

Postscript:  I found the exec's emails in her recoverable deleted items.  Me thinks she has an iCrap device which is purging stuff out of her mailbox based on some settings.  I restored them to her deleted items via OWA (using god account)...those were the ones she's looking for.    I'm still going to do the restore though for the exercise.

Post #: 5
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 31.Mar.2011 8:14:19 AM   
de.blackman

Actually no it will not overwrite the mailbox of UserB. In the command, you have to specify TargetFolder which in reality is a folder in UserB's mailbox that will hold the information extracted from userA's mailbox. I usually create a new user called Restore user or whatever and create the folder in there. Unfortunately I have no experience with mailbox level backup (AKA brick-level backup) but as a tip, make sure you still take full database backups because Microsoft does not support brick-level backups.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Ytsejamer1)
Post #: 6
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 31.Mar.2011 10:35:15 AM   
Ytsejamer1

De...thanks for the follow ups...great info as usual from you.  Much appreciated. 

Yeah, all my backups are full information store/log backups.  I don't do any incremental or cumulative incrementals with my exchange systems.   I'll give things a whirl and follow up here for reference.

Post #: 7
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 1.Apr.2011 9:44:47 AM   
kesm0724

Yes - like de.blackman explained mount your production executive database to a RSG. Once it's restored - I typically just use exmerge to export the mailbox to a .pst file and mount the .pst file within the users Outlook client. Then let him/her search for their missing mail.

(in reply to Ytsejamer1)
Post #: 8
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 14.Apr.2011 8:31:44 PM   
Ytsejamer1

Well...the adventure is finally over.  I restored the database to the RSG using Netbackup Enterprise 6.5.5. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH57346

The edb file was restored to the RSG location, but there was an error thrown about replaying the logs. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130239

Based on that I called Microsoft.  I had verified a the database being in a clean shutdown state, so after making sure all the information was gathered, the representative from MS had me mount the database in the RSG successfully.  At that point I ran a command to get the user's mailbox name:
>Get-MailboxStatistics -database 'Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Database'
Then I created a folder in my test user account's mailbox.  I then mounted the mailbox to another active user's mailbox, in a subfolder on another server:
>Restore-Mailbox -RSGMailbox "Mailbox User" -RSGDatabase "Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Database" -id "Test User" -TargetFolder "RSGUser_Email"

(in reply to kesm0724)
Post #: 9
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 3.Apr.2012 9:06:55 PM   
gregorybarrows

Look at exchange server recovery helps you recovers corrupted/unreadable exchange folders, messages and rest data are damaged by power shortages or surges, physical damage and incorrect user's actions. Program finds out, analyzes and restore crashed exchange data. It uses step-by-step wizard, which allows you to control the recovery options and go back any time to make the necessary changes.

(in reply to Ytsejamer1)
Post #: 10
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 4.Apr.2012 11:57:34 PM   
piyushagrawal

You can try Lepide Exchange Manager. The software can look into the information store of your previously backed EDB. You can select the particular items you wish to restore. There is no need of restoring the entire EDB.

(in reply to gregorybarrows)
Post #: 11
RE: Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore - 24.Feb.2014 4:31:14 AM   
RickPhillips

There are also some third party Exchange database recovery applications available in the market which helps the users to repair and recover the damaged database quickly and in just few steps. These tools has been developed with easy to use GUI and do not require technical skills to operate. One such tool that worked in our case is here: http://bit.ly/1PRkd4A

< Message edited by RickPhillips -- 22.Feb.2016 1:15:27 AM >

(in reply to Ytsejamer1)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> Recover of single 2007 mailbox from database restore Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter