• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Recovering a Failed Exchange 2003 without Active Directory

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Recovering a Failed Exchange 2003 without Active Directory Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recovering a Failed Exchange 2003 without Active Directory - 10.Aug.2005 12:28:00 PM   
LockedStream

I have been running Server and Exchange 2003 with that PC being also the domain controller for half a dozen users. Recently I had a corrupt data store and thus made a backup of the data store and associated log files before fixing it.

Well yesterday I lost the entire server drive including all the Active Directory info with no backup besides the data store I backed up recently. How should I proceed to re-store this server? I have reviewed the article "Recovering a Failed Exchange 2003 Member Server Using the Disaster Recovery Switch" but this isn't any good for me as I don't have the Active Directory still up. Re-creating the users isn't a problem.

Any help appreciated!

Simon
Post #: 1
RE: Recovering a Failed Exchange 2003 without Active Di... - 10.Aug.2005 1:37:00 PM   
mark@mvps.org

You can do this, all is not lost. There is a DR guide for E2K, which will still be valid for you, at www.microsoft.com/exchange/library.

This will enable you to install a new copy of Windows and Exchange onto a box. You will then be able to configure Exchange with the same names and store details (name wise) as the failed box.

You will then be able to read up on what you need to do in order to mount the store.

What you should be able to end up with is a mounted store and a load of orphaned mailboxes. you can then create new AD accounts that are not mailbox enabled and then connect those mailboxes to these accounts.

You have a ton of reading and a ton of testing to do.

Alternatively you could go to www.quest.com and seek Recovery Manager for Exchange. This will enable you to take the dead, unmounted store and get all the mail out to PST files, all without the help of an Exchange server.

Depends on your business timeframes and depth of your pockets.

(in reply to LockedStream)
Post #: 2
RE: Recovering a Failed Exchange 2003 without Active Di... - 11.Aug.2005 11:15:00 AM   
LockedStream

Appreciated Mark, this "little" project Im guessing will take up the weekend!

(in reply to LockedStream)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Recovering a Failed Exchange 2003 without Active Directory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter