• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Remove old Exchange server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> Remove old Exchange server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Remove old Exchange server - 5.Jun.2009 11:54:50 AM   
porko

Hi,

We have a new installation of Exchange 2007 Ent. However, it appears that someone (who will remain anonymous, for now :-)) had previously installed Exchange onto a server which has now been rebuilt as a member server for other uses. i.e. not a clean uninstall of Exchange for that server.. It seems that this is causing the new Exchange server to 'know' about the old server and cause constant errors when making config changes. Is there a way to remove this 'record' of the older server? I checked AD but it must have been removed a while ago.

Thanks,
Paul
Post #: 1
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 5:15:00 AM   
wgerrish

Hi Porko,

could you post the error for us to have a look at please?

cheers

(in reply to porko)
Post #: 2
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 6:26:15 AM   
porko

Thanks for your reply wgerrish.

This isn't a hard error as such. When configuring some elements of the exchange environment, I get errors that this 'other' server is not licensed. This is more about removing an Exchange server from the Exchange console, under Server Config > Mailbox/Client Access etc.
The server in question was built as Exchange 2007, but never used and then the OS was rebuilt for another task quite a while ago (probably 6-8 months ago), but this old server is appearing in the exchange console as "COMPANYNAME-262A8D5".

I thought that I may have to remove it somehow in AD, but I've had a look around and can't find anything except the Exchange Servers group, which has the new server as a Member and a group called "Exchange Install Domain Servers" located in "Domain\Microsoft Exchange System Objects", but I can't seem to browse to that OU (is it an OU?) to see if the old server is a member of that group.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Paul

(in reply to wgerrish)
Post #: 3
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 6:57:17 AM   
wgerrish

hi you start adsiedit.msc and go to the following path can you see the server

Config, Services, MS Exchange, Organization, admin groups, exchange admin group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT), servers.

also in the root domain check the exchange server group under

domain, Microsoft Exchange Security Groups

and to view that Microsoft Exchange System Objects in AD make sure you have the advanced features enabled under the view menu in ADUC.

Bit of a strange issue so ill keep having a think of where else you could look for it but i think the person that done this owes you a beer!

cheers

Will

(in reply to porko)
Post #: 4
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 8:11:28 AM   
porko

Thanks Will.

I cant seem to find  Config, Services...etc in ADSIEdit?

I've looked under domain, Microsoft Exchange Security Groups, and cant see the rogue server.

Thanks for the tip about enabling advanced view. I can now have a good look around there, but the rogue server is not listed.

oh dear, oh dear.... If he still worked here I'd certainly be requesting that beer! :-)

Paul

(in reply to wgerrish)
Post #: 5
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 8:19:30 AM   
porko

Ah ha! I have found this:

XADM: How To Manually Remove a Single Exchange-based Server from Active Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278918/

Apparently it also applies to Exch 2007. I'll give it a go and report back. Fingers crossed.
Paul

(in reply to porko)
Post #: 6
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 8:21:11 AM   
wgerrish

- Start -> Run -> C:\Program Files\Support Tools -> adsiedit.msc

when the connection box comes up select configuration

- Expand CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=com, expand CN=Services, expand CN=Microsoft Exchange
- Expand CN=OrganizationName (where OrganizationName is the name of your Exchange organization).
- Expand CN=Administrative Groups
- Expand CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)
- Expand CN=CN=Servers

let me know
cheers

(in reply to porko)
Post #: 7
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 8:27:32 AM   
wgerrish

Hi Paul,

i know you said there isn't an error but have you looked through all the event logs on the current exchange box. because i would have thought that when you are trying to make your config change on the current box and its complaining about the old one i would have thoguht it would log something in the event logs.

could help to shed some light on this.

cheers
Will

(in reply to wgerrish)
Post #: 8
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 8:29:39 AM   
porko

The article mentions the same path that you did Will, so it ;ooks like we're heading in the right direction:

Configuration\Services\Microsoft Exchange\Organization Name\Administrative Groups\Your Administrative Group\Servers

However, ADSIEdit does nto show me the "Configuration" OU.

I run ADSIEdit.. Connect to a DC and our Active Directory tree appears. I can't see Configuration in there. I looked around for alternate views, but to no avail.  This is a 2008 server/domain if that makes any difference. ALso, the Exchange 2007  install is on anotehr server.

Paul

(in reply to porko)
Post #: 9
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 8:39:45 AM   
wgerrish

hmm not to sure about 2008 as i haven't really got my hands dirty with it yet but i know you can use it from any 2003 server with admin tools install and im currently using from my vista desktop.

ok start adsi edit, nothing should have loaded other than in the left hand pane something that says ADSI edit. right click it and click on connect.

now a box should appear. in the box make sure that its to the correct DC in the path section, then move down to the connection point.

in there under select a wall known naming context make sure you select configuration from the drop down then click on OK.

this defo should get you connected in to the config section.

cheers
Will

(in reply to porko)
Post #: 10
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 9:20:47 AM   
porko

Well, after all that I found the rogue server in ADSI and deleted it. Now it's gone from the Exchange Console. You really helped me out... Thanks.

Best Regards
Paul

(in reply to wgerrish)
Post #: 11
RE: Remove old Exchange server - 9.Jun.2009 9:27:00 AM   
wgerrish

Excellent!

cheers
Will

(in reply to porko)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> Remove old Exchange server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter