• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Repeated read receipts - generated every minute

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Repeated read receipts - generated every minute Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 8.Jun.2007 3:15:36 PM   
squintr

Having a very strange issue occur here and can't trace it.  UserA requested a read receipt on a message sent to UserB.  UserB opened the message and sent a read receipt acknowledgement.  The problem is, the same acknowledgement email is sent once per minute while UserB has their mail open -- doesn't matter if it's Outlook client or OWA.  I've looked at the message tracking and the read receipt starts being sent at 9AM and stops at 5PM while that person is in the office.  Just for sanity's sake we created a message rule on UserA's mailbox to automatically put those emails into their deleted items folder.  We have tried completely deleting UserB's Exchange mailbox and recreating it (and we did not import their mail back into Exchange).  The exchange mailbox is only about 30 MB so it's not an issue with maxing out on space.  We've done virus and adware scans on their PC (this isn't an issue anyway because it still happens when using OWA on another PC). 
Both users are in the same organization.  We have several exchange servers and we have tried moving UserB's account to another Exchange server.  None of this has helped.  Any ideas??
Post #: 1
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 8.Jun.2007 3:41:36 PM   
uemurad

Do the receipts continue when UserB is online and UserA is not?  I'm wondering if there is something about UserA's mailbox that is not acknowledging the receipt of the Read Receipt message properly.

Tests:
With UserB online, have UserA stop Outlook and use OWA
With UserB online, have UserA run Outlook in non-cache mode

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to squintr)
Post #: 2
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 8.Jun.2007 4:35:44 PM   
squintr

That's a possibility.. I will try that and let you know. Thank you..

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 11.Jun.2007 9:30:28 AM   
squintr

Hi uemurad

I asked both UserA and B to tell me when they logged into Email this morning then I compared their answers to message tracking.  The read receipts correlate to when UserB logs in (although UserA logged in first this morning).  I had UserA close Outlook and OWA completely and looked at the message tracking and it didn't prevent the messages from being sent.  Any other ideas/suggestions?  Is it still worth doing the tests if the messages are sent despite Email being closed off for the recipient?

(in reply to squintr)
Post #: 4
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 11.Jun.2007 10:02:15 AM   
uemurad

In Message Tracking, is it the same message repeatedly being delivered to UserA, or is it a new message each time.  In other words, when you look at the message, does it have more than one line stating it was delivered, or is it delivered exactly once and there are individual messages for each receipt?

If there is only one message repeatedly being delivered, then you might be able to kill it.  If it is individual messages being delivered once each, I can't think of what it might be.  I'd check for rules in UserB's mailbox, open Outlook from a command-line using the /cleanrules switch.  It might be something simple I'm overlooking, but I've never encountered what you describe.

I've got some near-desperation ideas, but I won't bring them up unless you want to hear them.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to squintr)
Post #: 5
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 11.Jun.2007 12:59:55 PM   
de.blackman

Are you running exchange standard or exchange enterprise? If you are running enterprise, create a new storage group and a new mailbox store in it. Move UserB's mailbox to the new store and see if the problem persists.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 11.Jun.2007 4:38:36 PM   
squintr

How would I know if it is the same message sent repeatedly?  Would it have the same message ID?  If so, no, these messages all have different message ID's but other than that the contents of the emails are all the same.  Not sure if it's noteworthy but the message-ID's seem to all go in sequence.

de.blackman: We have tried moving UserB's mailbox to entirely different server and it has made no difference.

I logged into UserB's account and there are no server-side rules setup.  I will check tomorrow will the user to ensure there are no client-side rules.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 7
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 11.Jun.2007 4:56:50 PM   
uemurad

quote:

How would I know if it is the same message sent repeatedly?
If it's the same message, Message Tracking should show it being delivered (or attempting to deliver) to the mailbox repeatedly.  If it's not the same message, you should see each receipt being delivered separately - in other words, a long list of messages.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to squintr)
Post #: 8
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 12.Jun.2007 9:11:09 AM   
squintr

It is successfully being delivered each time so I guess they are all different messages technically speaking.  We have a rule setup on UserA's Outlook to move those messages to deleted items just so they don't get their Inbox flooded.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 12.Jun.2007 1:58:56 PM   
muszyngr

We had the same problem turns out the user sending the message had a corrupt PST (in addition to her mailbox) in her Outlook profile.  Simply remove the PST, close Outlook, re open Outlook again and see if the messages stop.  They should.

Then run the SCANPST.EXE utility against the .PST file to repair it.  I bet the PST file got close to 2GB and got corrupt.  1.8 or so is when it happened in our environment.

Hope this helps,
G

(in reply to squintr)
Post #: 10
RE: Repeated read receipts - generated every minute - 15.Jun.2007 3:55:29 PM   
squintr

I was going to reply back earlier and say this has been tried but I wanted to see for myself.  I just started with this company last week and this was the first issue that was thrown at me.  I assumed that since this issue had been happening for months now (and from reading the past ticket notes) that this was the most obvious step in troubleshooting but apparently I shouldn't make those assumptions :)  I finally was able to sync up with the end user and she let me remote control her computer.  She had a second PST file open and the first thing I did was close this off and sure enough, the messages stopped.  I ran the scanpst on it and in the repair log I found a reference to that email that was being sent.  Voila.. fixed..  Thank you uemurad and muszyngr for your assistance.

(in reply to muszyngr)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Repeated read receipts - generated every minute Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter