• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Replacing HArd Disk

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Replacing HArd Disk Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Replacing HArd Disk - 22.Feb.2001 11:01:00 AM   
Exchange 5.5 is running on our server. EDB files are stored on a Stripe Set disk. We are going to replace the hard disk. How can we do this without reinstalling Exchange and with minimum duration. What we planed is, without removing the old hard disk, we are going to add two more hard disks, and copy all the files from old one to new after stopping the server. Changing the new hard disk's Drive letter to that of original one. And then starting the services. Will thiw work?
  Post #: 1
RE: Replacing HArd Disk - 22.Feb.2001 11:47:00 AM   
Bear

Ummmmmm not a great idea. Actually an idea that would break you Exchange Site.

Add the new disks to the exchange machine. Make sure the new disks can be seen by the O/S and are formatted.

Run Exchange Performance Optimizer. Optimizer will see the new disks and move exchange files and directories to these new disks automatically. If optimizers new configuration doesn't suit you, you have the opportunity to force optimizer to move specific exchange directories and files, to specific hard drives. (Just remember the driver letters assigned to the new disks by the O/S)

Please don't try the other way, you'll bring down your exchange site. If ever you need to move exchange directories and or files, use Optimizer.

Regards

Bear

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Replacing HArd Disk Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter