• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Reroute Outgoing Internet E-mail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Reroute Outgoing Internet E-mail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reroute Outgoing Internet E-mail - 12.Mar.2004 8:04:00 PM   
aalbright

Hello,
I have gone through the process of moving everything from my Exchange 5.5 server to my new Exchange 2000 server following Q316886. I am not at the point where I need to reroute incoming and outgoing e-mail. The inbound part was easy to do from my ISA server, but the outbound part does not seem to be cooperating the same way. At present, all outgoing e-mail is being sent out through my Exchange 5.5 server, but when I follow the steps outlined in Q316886 I cannot get the Exchange 2000 server to stop sending mail out through the 5.5 server.

I was told that I could get around configuring an SMTP Connector by configuring the external DNS servers on the SMTP virtual server and removing the relay/smart host IP address so I did that and then went to Organization\Site\Configuration container\Connections where I removed the SMTP Address Space from Address Space tab in the Internet Mail Services properties. I then recalculated routing but mail seems to still want to go out of my 5.5 server. I noticed that on the General tab of the Site Addressing properties page that under the Routing Calculation server it still lists my 5.5 server. Should I change this so that my Exchange 2000 server is the routing calculation server?

Thanks in advance for your help
Post #: 1
RE: Reroute Outgoing Internet E-mail - 5.Apr.2004 10:21:00 PM   
hardwired71

Very Close. Good Logic. If your routing Calc server is the 5.5 server, what's the shortest path (lowest cost) route to the internet? The IMC that exists locally of course. You can do one of two things - change the rcalc server to the 2k box and/or delete the IMC in 5.5. To keep things civil in a mixed environment, better go with the rcalc change AND you could also add another connector to 2k so that 5.5 thinks its the only IMC around. And uh, oh yeah - hurry up and get rid of the 5.5 server. [Smile]

(in reply to aalbright)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Reroute Outgoing Internet E-mail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter