• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Restoring to a different domain

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Restoring to a different domain Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Restoring to a different domain - 22.Nov.2006 2:28:59 AM   
KJKingJ

Hi,

I've just had to a complete rebuild of my sever, on completely different hardware (the previous hardware died). When setting up the new server, we decided it would be the best time to move our domain from the .local it was to the .net one we own. Exchange has been set up again and is functioning perfectly (receiving emails) but we can't restore the old database of emails, when we try we get the message "This server is not a microsoft exchange server, or its microsoft exchange services are not running". The server is a microsoft exchange server and its services are running! How can I work around this problem?

Thanks,

KJ
Post #: 1
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 22.Nov.2006 9:04:15 AM   
jchong

Keep in mind that any time you restore an exchange db, the target machine must have similar parameters as the orginal box such as storage group name, partition path etc.

This article should help

Moving an Exchange Mailbox Database to Another Server or Storage Group
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/DROpsGuide/3df9b6b9-3f34-4e8f-af99-eebe29df1670.mspx?mfr=true

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 2
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 22.Nov.2006 11:54:47 AM   
KJKingJ

Looking at that article, it dosen't look too good. The administrative group is still the same (First Administrative Group) but i'm not sure what it means when it talks about the same logical database names. I still have the old databaes files, but i've already started receiving email again so replacing the current database with the existing database will overwrite my emails that i've received in the last few days - is there any way to merge the two files?

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 3
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 22.Nov.2006 12:04:57 PM   
jchong

Try to restore to the recovery storage group, give this a shot. If it doesn't work, then there's alternatives.

James Chong

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 4
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 23.Nov.2006 2:24:43 AM   
KJKingJ

Still getting the same error, i'm using the intergrated windows backup utility.

One thing I noticed, when it prompted me for a destination computre, if I clicked browse and went all the way to the server, I could not expand further than server (i.e to share level) nor could I select it (greyed out)

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 5
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 23.Nov.2006 8:47:38 AM   
jchong

Are you still getting the same error?

This server is not a microsoft exchange server, or its microsoft exchange services are not running".

Usually when you have mismatched paramters it will restore but not mount, you're not even getting it to back up. Even with NTbackup you can restore to alternate servers if they're running Exchange so something is fundamentally messed up. Launch Ntbackup, and run through the steps like you wanted to backup exchange, does it give you the option to backup your Exchange store? If it doesn't then NTbackup doesn't think this is an exchange box which could be due to various reasons such as missing exchange binaries. When you made this backup, did this include both the system state and Exchange?

James Chong

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 6
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 24.Nov.2006 1:54:30 PM   
KJKingJ

I can make an exchange backup using NTBackup and i'm still getting the error upon restore. I did not place the System State data and the Exchange Backup in the same backup file and I don't have a working copy of the System State from beforehand.

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 7
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 24.Nov.2006 1:57:42 PM   
jchong

Can you first verify that you did the exact steps posted in this article during the restore process?

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Backup-Restore-NTBACKUP.html

James Chong

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 8
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 25.Nov.2006 9:10:15 AM   
KJKingJ

I followed the instructions, but still I get the same error ("The specified computer is not a Microsoft Exchange...")

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 9
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 25.Nov.2006 11:28:03 AM   
consultOz

KJKingJ,
I see you are going through rough times, if there is an emergency, meaning you must get the existing mail data back to new Exchange server
You may want to look into third party applications such as  ontrack (http://www.ontrack.com/)
It is incredibly easy to get everything back if you use one of these tools, yet you can perform the mail data recovery from your own workstation , get everything out to PST, then use outlook or Xmerge to import the data back to your users
Hopefully you donít have many users

Best Regards,
Oz

Regards,
Oz Casey Dedeal
MVP (Exchange)
MCITP (EMA),MCITP (EA), MCITP (SA),
MCSE 2003 M+ S+, MCDST
Security+, Project+ ,Server+
http://smtp25.blogspot.com (Blog)
http://telnet25.wordpress.com (Blog)

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 10
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 25.Nov.2006 11:36:45 AM   
jchong

King go through this article. This may be the cause since you rebuilt your server using a different domain name the esebcli and esebcli2 may be causing a conflict.

If the backup server is not a member of any Microsoft Windows domain, or is a member of an untrusted domain, Exchange Server backup dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) for different versions may interfere with each other. Exchange 2000 depends on Esebcli2.dll, but previous versions of Exchange Server are backed up by using Edbbcli.dll.

If you click Remote Store, and nothing happens, or if you receive the following error message, Edbbcli.dll may be interfering with Esebcli2.dll:
The specified computer is not a Microsoft Exchange server or its Microsoft Exchange services are not started. If Edbbcli.dll is located in any folder in the system path, NTBackup automatically loads it. Alternatively, Esebcli2.dll must be explicitly registered in the system registry. Therefore, you must "hide" Edbbcli.dll by removing it from its default installation location, Winnt\System32, or any other folder in the system path. If NTBackup displays the Microsoft Exchange node, a copy of Edbbcli.dll has been loaded.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275876

James Chong

(in reply to consultOz)
Post #: 11
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 26.Nov.2006 5:14:39 PM   
KJKingJ

I tried jchong's method first, renaming edbbcli.dll to edbbcli.dll.remove , I still got the error message, so i'm investigating the ontract software reccomended by consultOz.

Thankfully I don't have to many users, but admittedly they're not happy users currently!

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 12
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 26.Nov.2006 6:37:13 PM   
KJKingJ

I've got a copy of PowerControls from OnTrack. However, it dosen't appear to support the NTBackup format. Do I (somehow) need to extract the files from the NTBackup-style backup I made? Even better, a quick guide would help massively.

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 13
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 26.Nov.2006 11:53:13 PM   
vishal_breed

Hi King,

Can you paste the NTBackup Log - As well as please paste the Application Event IDs since the backup is started. Definately I will be able to help you with this. However if backup is corrupt you will not be able to restore the old database but you will know where you were going wrong.

With Regards,
Vishal Breed (919820813222)

Remember, I am not miles away but just a mail away.

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 14
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 27.Nov.2006 2:31:09 AM   
KJKingJ

Ok, if I continue the restore operation after I get the error message, the operation completes (without restoring) and generates the following report:

Restore Status
Operation Restore

--------------------

There are no logs created in the folder I specified in the previous screen

There are 2 event log entries in Event Log, a start log entry and a complete log entry. There are no error events. (Events 8018, 8019)

(in reply to vishal_breed)
Post #: 15
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 28.Nov.2006 1:50:15 AM   
vishal_breed

Hi King,

Let me be more specific. Are you restoring Exchange Online or offline backup. Here is the diffrence.

Exchange Online Backup:- All Exchange service are running & all the stores are mounted. After backup of Information Store databases & transaction Logs is completed transaction log files which are commited to Exchange Database; gets purged (Information Event ID: 223 & 224).

Restoring Exchange Online Backup:- Keep the Information Store service running but dismount the stores. Also before you start the restore; pls select "this database can be overwritten by restore" checkbox from properties of all information store databse properties page - Database Tab. Then start restore.

Exchange offline Backup:- All Exchange services may be running but keep Information Store service down & also dismount the stores. In this situation you need to copy only .edb & .stm files as databases are consistance (clean shut down). It's just copy/paste process, you may use NTBACKUP if you are backing up in Tape.

Restoring Exchange Offline Backup:- Stop only Information store service. Before you start the restore; pls select "this database can be overwritten by restore" checkbox from properties of all information store databse properties page - Database Tab. Then start restore. 

However while backup you can take backup of System State & Information Stores simultaneously; but restore is not recommended. MS KB 820272 - Backup operation fails when you back up Exchange Server 2003 databases and System State Information at the same time. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820272/en-us

In same article there is a procedure to check NTBACKUP report, mentioned in
SYMPTOMS.
Pls revert back if you have any questions.

With Regards,

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 16
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 28.Nov.2006 2:32:27 AM   
KJKingJ

I beleive have tried both methods, Exchange Online Backup and Restoring Exchange Online Backup.

Looking at the descriptions you've given, some of these methods will overwrite the mails i've had since I set up exchange again. Whilst this is not ideal, if it's the only method that will work, i'll have to implement it.

I might try restoring from another computer, see if that works.

Post #: 17
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 28.Nov.2006 4:22:20 AM   
vishal_breed

Hi King,

The explaination I have given is about normal Exchange Backup & Restore process. Since you have already installed Exchange server you need to restore your backup in Recovery environment (also you can call it recovery server).

Have a look at this,
MS KB 823176 - How to recover or to restore a single mailbox in Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823176

With Regards,

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 18
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 28.Nov.2006 3:17:04 PM   
KJKingJ

Hmm, I read that entire KB article, and Method 3 is the one that best applies to me.

However, I do not have any recovery server at all, I only have the 1 server.

Any other methods I can use?

Post #: 19
RE: Restoring to a different domain - 28.Nov.2006 3:20:09 PM   
jchong

You don't have a desktop that you can install exchange to try to perform a test restore?

James Chong

(in reply to KJKingJ)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Restoring to a different domain Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter