• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SAN Migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> SAN Migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SAN Migration - 27.Sep.2012 11:14:42 AM   
JB007

Hello everybody...
i just found this site and looks like there's a lot to lear from it, anyway here's my issue.

I, right now have a 2003 SP2 exchange server it's is a blace server with no physical hard drives attached to it...they're all in a SAN, boot partition and data partitions...the fact is that this storage has around 7 years now, we bought new SAN hardware and would like to move all the exchange data to it, question is what is the best way to perform this considering downtime the nearest to 0.

I have come up with an idea, but don't know how faro will it work...here it is.

I will map new SAN volumes in my current server and then create new storage groups similar to the ones, but redirected to my new SAN volumes, so I will have something like this:

first storage group
first storage group-copy
managers
managers-copy

Then I'll start moving mailboxes from old storage to new one, so my downtime will be most near to 0 (depending on the mailbox sizes)

Then i will create and image from the C: drive and restore it to my new san volume, next to this i will move my lade to my new chassis and re-direct all the zones, mapping and all that stuff to ensure the server can see all the drives with all the info on them and of course make the exchange work in a kind of transparent way.
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> SAN Migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post