• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 16.Jul.2009 11:16:36 PM   
balal604

Hi,
i have a Exchange Server 2003 with SP2, and i have many SMTP Connectors with different address space ,
i also have a SMTP connector with a (*) address space .
i am facing problem while using a SMTP Connector where i have configured some users to do not send emails on domains provided in address space, but emails going from (*) SMTP Connector .
i have set  Cost  same/default (1) for all connectors .
Please advice me

-
Balal Ahmad
Network Engineer
Post #: 1
RE: SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 17.Jul.2009 12:38:07 AM   
uemurad

First, how many Exchange servers are in your Organization?

Second, what are the differences (besides the address space) between your SMTP connectors?  In other words, what are you attempting to do with those separate SMTP connectors?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to balal604)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 17.Jul.2009 1:10:34 AM   
balal604

we have 04 Exchange Server in 03 Routing Groups ,our SMTP Connectors are configured with Scope of "Routing Group".
reasons /purpose of using SMTP Connectors 
1) we have to block some users to send emails to some domains,
2) we are relaying emails directly to our trusted domains,

-Balal

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 17.Jul.2009 1:16:55 AM   
uemurad

Just so I have an understanding of your environment, let's say your servers are named AA, BB, CC, and DD.  Let's also say your Routing Groups are named RG1, RG2, and RG3.

Which servers belong to which Routing Groups?
How many SMTP connectors have you created for each Routing Group, and what is the function of each?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to balal604)
Post #: 4
RE: SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 17.Jul.2009 5:25:04 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Why have you got these other, domain specific, connectors? (In terms of what are they doing, what SMTP VSI's are they using etc.?

Can't help you troubleshoot until you explain what you are doing and what you are trying to achieve.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to balal604)
Post #: 5
RE: SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 5.Dec.2009 7:34:33 AM   
balal604

let me explain from start ,
My requirement is "I want to block some users to sending emails to some domains "
I have a Default SMTP Connector with Address Space (*),
I create  a new SMTP Connector with address space (Blocked Domains) so emails go through to this connector and add blocked users in "reject message from "
both connector have same cost , but problem is this , email not rejecting and going through from Default (*)SMTP connector ,
Is there any template/solution to "Bock some users to sending email to some specific domain "
i played little with cost and address space game but as per this blog i assuming i can't fix it all ,
Please guide me
http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2008/01/smtp-connector-myth-messages-are-always.html#comment-form
-Balal Ahmad 
Post #: 6
RE: SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 5.Dec.2009 1:55:26 PM   
uemurad

The issue is how you are configuring your connectors.

If you read Bharat Suneja's article (the link you included), he says that the restrictions are taken into account before the Address Space. In other words, when you tell a connector to "Reject messages from", you are essentially telling Exchange that the message has to find a different connector to use.

Instead, create a connector with messages rejected by default and the blocked users listed in "Accept messages from". Put the blocked domains into the Address Space list. Finally, on the General tab, configure a Smarthost that doesn't actually have the ability to forward messages. That way the user list will match, then the Address Space list will match and Exchange will happily try to send the message to the smarthost address. It will fail, but you don't care about that. If you send it somewhere that doesn't even accept SMTP traffic, Exchange will retry, but that's okay as well.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to balal604)
Post #: 7
RE: SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 7.Dec.2009 10:46:40 AM   
balal604

Hi , Uemurad,
Thank you for your post .
I tried it with creating a new SMTP Connector with address space (Blocked Domain) and set default “Reject Message from “ everyone and add blocked users into “accept message from” ,and set a smart host which not able to send email , and getting undelivered message , but for All users even those I don’t want to block them ,
I didn’t change Cost at all , is there any solution for this ?

-Balal

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 7.Dec.2009 10:50:59 AM   
uemurad

Are "All users" being blocked from sending everywhere, or just to the domain you entered into the Address Space?

Did you add the blocked users individually, or as some sort of group?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to balal604)
Post #: 9
RE: SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space - 7.Dec.2009 11:04:56 AM   
balal604

All other domains are working well, only blocked domain being blocked for everyone , and i have only enter one user in "accept message from" to block for testing

-Balal

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> SMTP Connecter with (*) and specific address space Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter