• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP Relay - Best Practices

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> SMTP Relay - Best Practices Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP Relay - Best Practices - 5.Nov.2004 7:39:00 PM   
Hello. I have an Exchange 2000 server inside my firewall (ISA 2000) and a SMTP relay server (Windows 2003) in the DMZ which has GFI MailEsssentials v10.1 and MailSecurity v8.0 installed. The relay server in the DMZ is in a workgroup and can only talk to the Exchange server via port 25. I get a lot of e-mail sent to my domain to invalid users (i.e. sent to tommy@xyz.com even though there is no tommy@xyz.com e-mail address). Mail sent to tommy passes through the filters on the relay server and is sent to my Exchange server and then a NDR is sent back because he does not exist. My problem is the mail queue on my relay server is full of NDR's sent from my Exchange server (until they time out and are sent to the BadMail folder). I recently turned off NDRs on my Exchange server.

I would like to stop incoming e-mail at the relay server if the user/e-mail address does not exist in my Active Directory. Does anybody know a way to put a 'user list' on the relay server in which incoming mail will be dropped if the e-mail address is not on the list? GFI has an e-mail harvesting feature however it only works if the GFI software is installed on the Exchange server.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
  Post #: 1
RE: SMTP Relay - Best Practices - 18.Nov.2004 12:49:00 PM   
nicks

Hi Brian,

As you have said, MailEssentials does have a feature that checks the recipient's email address, however this works only if the machine where GFI MailEssentials is installed is part of Active Directory. GFI MailEssentials does not need to be installed on the same machine as Exchange though.

Therefore, I would recommend that you join the machine where GFI MailEssentials is installed with your Active Directory, so you can benefit from the Directory Harvesting feature.

A different solution would be to add a Content Checking rule in GFI MailSecurity, that will block all the letters in the alphabet. You should configure this rule to be valid for All except the list below" in the users tab. You should then insert all the users that are configured in MailSecurity. These are normally retreived automatically from outbound emails. The only drawback with this workaround is that you have to remember to add email addresses to the MailSecurity users' list and to the Content Checking rule.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> SMTP Relay - Best Practices Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter