• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP continually restarting eventID 7031 and 7034

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> SMTP continually restarting eventID 7031 and 7034 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP continually restarting eventID 7031 and 7034 - 18.Aug.2006 3:22:36 AM   
benschwabe

Hi,

I'm having a nightmare! Yesterday I tried sending a small text only email to 6000+ BCC recipents, and now exchange 2003 on server 2003 is v.unhappy.

SMTP service keeps on dying (every couple of seconds) with event ID 7031 and IIS with event ID 7034.  We have KB885881 installed, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.  The probelm is I can't even view the queue properly in ESM as the SMTP server dies too quickly.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Ben
Post #: 1
RE: SMTP continually restarting eventID 7031 and 7034 - 23.Aug.2006 7:01:31 AM   
choppol

ok...have you tried creating another smtp virtual server? and disable the other one? If you have you might have a corrupted smtp so what you have to do is uninstall smtp services in Add/remove program and reboot and reinstall BUT you MUST stop all exchange services before rebooting because exchange will have a fit without smtp services available.

Also, remember to service pack exchange after reinstalling exchange!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to benschwabe)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP continually restarting eventID 7031 and 7034 - 26.Aug.2006 3:48:45 AM   
andypatterson24

I have faced this same issue for a client this week.  I am receiving the same error events.  Currently, I have a second SMTP virtual server created and have it routing all mail.  The Default SMTP Virtual Server is currently paused.  This is not a permanent solution.  How can I repair the Default Virtual SMTP server?  When I re-enable the default smtp server, my queue goes bananas with large emails stuck in "retry" mode and my outgoing internet traffic comes to a crawl.  Once disabled, traffic/queue is fine.

FYI, I also had a user BCC a large number of recipients and he also included a 6MB attachment.

Any help would be appreciated.

(in reply to choppol)
Post #: 3
RE: SMTP continually restarting eventID 7031 and 7034 - 3.Sep.2006 4:03:30 AM   
andypatterson24

OK, the problem was due to an internal user sending out a marketing email to 300+ external recipients with a 6MB attachment.  I was unable to completely remove these outbound emails from the queue.  When the SMTP service was restarted, the emails were back in the queue and my WAN bandwidth was maxed out. 

Resolution:
I successfully remove the queued messages by creating a SMTP routing group connector.  I then configured the connector to forward all address spaces (*) to a smarthost, which I set as an invalid address (so the email would stop and stay in the new connector).  I then went to my queue and had queue for the connector I created.  It contained all outbound emails in a stopped state.  I was able to cleanly remove the unwanted emails.  Once this was done, I deleted the routing group connector and restarted SMTP services.  Email flow tested fine.

P.S.  I have since set up this user to use a 3rd party application with it's own built-in SMTP engine.  He can now send these massmails without bogging down the Exchange server.

(in reply to andypatterson24)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> SMTP continually restarting eventID 7031 and 7034 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter