• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Second Exchange Server will not install

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Second Exchange Server will not install Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Second Exchange Server will not install - 22.Oct.2008 3:47:55 AM   
dreamsplc

After going through the prerequistites listed in the "Install Exchange 2003 on additional servers" page, I run setup and try to set 'Install'. At this point the following error is displayed:

The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Install" because: -You do not have sufficient permissions in the Domain. The Domain administrator must re-run setup /domainprep or you must create a recipient update service for this domain to update the permissions.  having done some research I found this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319966 Following the instructions makes no difference. Having given a project manager dates for the rollout of OWA to branches, I need to get this installed ASAP. If anyone can help, I will be grateful.  
Post #: 1
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 22.Oct.2008 5:37:51 AM   
Exchange_Geek

Care to attach the exchange setup log ?
Also, hope you are logged in with administrator account (domain / enterprise / local)
If you are through with running domain prep - do you have a corresponding RUS created for this domain - pointing to correct GC / Exchange server.

(in reply to dreamsplc)
Post #: 2
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 22.Oct.2008 6:12:14 AM   
dreamsplc

The forum does not give me permission to upload the log, so I will email it to you. Here is an extract from the end:

[10:33:38]  CService::ScQueryServiceConfig (f:\titanium\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:539)
        Error code 0XC0070424 (1060): The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
[10:33:38] Service = 'MSSearch' CServiceManager::ScGetServiceInfo (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\setupbase\tools\svcmgr.cxx:431)
        Error code 0XC0070424 (1060): The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
[10:33:38] === IGNORING PREVIOUS ERRORS === ScPRQ_MSSearchIsNotDisabled (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\excommon\prereq.cxx:8737)
        The operation has completed successfully.
[10:33:38] Entering ScGetServerDNSNameFromDS
[10:33:38] Leaving ScGetServerDNSNameFromDS
[10:33:38] Entering ScGetServerDNSNameFromDS
[10:33:38] Leaving ScGetServerDNSNameFromDS
[10:33:38]  - You do not have sufficient permissions in the domain.  A Domain Administrator must either re-run "setup /DomainPrep" or create a Recipient Update Service for this domain. -- ID:64293 --
[10:33:38] Prerequisites for Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services failed: The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Install" because:
- You do not have sufficient permissions in the domain.  A Domain Administrator must either re-run "setup /DomainPrep" or create a Recipient Update Service for this domain.

[10:33:38]  - You do not have sufficient permissions in the domain.  A Domain Administrator must either re-run "setup /DomainPrep" or create a Recipient Update Service for this domain. -- ID:64293 --
[10:33:38] The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Install" because:
- You do not have sufficient permissions in the domain.  A Domain Administrator must either re-run "setup /DomainPrep" or create a Recipient Update Service for this domain.

Seeing as it is the second E2K3 server, I have only re-run domain prep because guided to do so by the mentioned M$ article.

I have two RUS' on the first E2K3 server. One was there already, the second I created (unsure whether I needed to do this, but was just following an article from this site when I migrated from E2K three years ago). Both point at the only E2K3 server and the GC at that site. Should I only have one, does it make any difference if I have two?

Oh, nearly forgot to say I am logged on as a Domain Admin, which group is nested in Exchange Admin group as standard. Thhis group is full admin.

Thanks in advance.

< Message edited by dreamsplc -- 22.Oct.2008 6:31:00 AM >

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 3
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 22.Oct.2008 6:41:59 AM   
dreamsplc

I have just tried swapping out my own user account with another that I added to Domain admins and Exchange Admins, but the same error message occurred.

(in reply to dreamsplc)
Post #: 4
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 22.Oct.2008 6:59:07 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

Certain things i will consider but i am not sure have tried

1) I would try to run /domainprep? Did we got any error message?
2) I would try with the same account who had installed first exchange server
3) I would remove zombie account from Buit-in administrator, Exchange server groups
4) I would try to create a new RUS for a new domain where i want to install and then i will try out (but you need to have fair idea before you going with this step)
5) Running Exbpa to findout what went wrong

(in reply to dreamsplc)
Post #: 5
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 22.Oct.2008 7:07:43 AM   
Exchange_Geek

Got the logs, let me analyze them. Give me some time.
thanks.

(in reply to dreamsplc)
Post #: 6
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 22.Oct.2008 7:37:01 AM   
Exchange_Geek

1) I would try to run /domainprep? Did we got any error message?

[10:33:33] Domain proxy container found -- checking DomainPrep version
[10:33:33] Installed DomainPrep version is 6936; current version is 6936
[10:33:33] This domain is DomainPrepped
[10:33:33] Leaving ScIsDomainPrepped

Already done.

2) I would try with the same account who had installed first exchange server

[10:33:33] We have permission ConfigNC_Read
[10:33:33] We have permission ConfigNC_Write
[10:33:33] We have permission ConfigNC_SetPerms

[10:33:33] We have permission DomainNC_Read
[10:33:33] We have permission DomainNC_Write

[10:33:33] We have permission (ExchOrg_Write | ExchAG_Write)
[10:33:33] We have permission (ExchOrg_SetPerms | ExchAG_SetPerms)

[10:33:33] We have permission ExchAG_Read
[10:33:33] We have permission ExchAG_Write
[10:33:33] We have permission ExchAG_SetPerms

[10:33:33] We have sufficient admin rights, the schema is up to date and org-level objects are present on the local DC; m_strDCToUse = "DC Name"

Are any other permission required by Exchange ??

3) I would remove zombie account from Buit-in administrator, Exchange server groups.

Already an Exchange Server exists - I am not sure removing that group is a good idea from AD.

4) I would try to create a new RUS for a new domain where i want to install and then i will try out (but you need to have fair idea before you going with this step)

[10:33:38] Entering ScDetermineIfLocalDomainRUSHasAlreadyBeenCreated
[10:33:38] Entering ScConstructAddressListServiceDNAndCN
[10:33:38] Leaving ScConstructAddressListServiceDNAndCN
[10:33:38] Leaving ScDetermineIfLocalDomainRUSHasAlreadyBeenCreated

Exchange seems to have found local RUS

5) Running Exbpa to find out what went wrong.

ExBPA answering questions before we setup Exchange ??

@dreams: spare me some time more - thanks.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 7
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 22.Oct.2008 7:43:05 AM   
dreamsplc

1) I tried rerunning domainprep as per the M$ article mentioned, but makes no difference.
2) I used the same account.
3) see 1)
4) Thanks, hopefully that won't be required.
5) Great Idea, have not run EXBPA in over a year...

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 8
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 22.Oct.2008 8:59:44 AM   
dreamsplc

I have just read this:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF017.html

on RUS, and note that mine is correctly configured.

(in reply to dreamsplc)
Post #: 9
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 3.Nov.2008 11:08:50 AM   
dreamsplc

Some explicit permissions set on the USERS container for deny delete and deny delete subtree, applied 'to this object only' were delegated onto the EDS group. Once removed, E2K3 proceeded to install OK.

Thanks for your help.

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 10
RE: Second Exchange Server will not install - 4.Nov.2008 3:19:29 AM   
dreamsplc

I just figured out how it happened too:

I have to give helpdesk access to create/modify users (dangerous!), I had selected 'protect object from accidental deletion' in the vista/2008 AD Users and Computers...that created the permissions, that on validation prevented the install.

I see a new technote needing authoring by M$.

(in reply to dreamsplc)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Second Exchange Server will not install Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter