• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Server Rebuild

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Server Rebuild Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Server Rebuild - 15.Sep.2009 3:40:37 PM   
oxide54

Hi,

i am a few problems with backup exec on an exchange server, and am tempted to rebuild. It was a P2V and I'd rather rebuild it as VM from the ground up (ESX4.0).

two Options

1. Full Backup, turn off old server
install windows 2003, Exchange /DisasterRecovery
restore mailboxes.

or

2. Build new server alongside, move mailboxes to new server.

2 is preferred but we have 200+ mailboxes and i may have to leave the old server on for a month until people login into their email for their outlook profile to update. whereas method 1 would be more transparent.

any thoughts.

thanks

conrad
Post #: 1
RE: Server Rebuild - 15.Sep.2009 3:49:14 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Always method 2. It will also be transparent. The user would just be repointed at their new store and life will go on. You already know you have to leave the old one up for a while so you're good to go. By all means reduce the memory in the old box once you've migrated away from it but even that is not essential if you have sufficient resources on the host.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to oxide54)
Post #: 2
RE: Server Rebuild - 15.Sep.2009 6:07:53 PM   
oxide54

cheers mark,

yes you definitely right i remember know when i actually had to restore a server from backup it was a late night getting exchange to actually mount the store why create the agro for no need? + although i said it in my post i kinda forgot it was VM's I'm dealing with no mailboxes on it, leaving it running purely for "name resolution" is not really going to use all that much CPU.

thanks

conrad

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Server Rebuild - 3.Dec.2009 9:42:02 AM   
instant000

OK, I am in the same situation.

I basically want to migrate my users to another exchange server.  (I'm actually facing diskspace issues, and was trying to get the most seamless way to handle it.)

For now, I was thinking I could establish an additional exchange server, and then I could move the user mailboxes over to the new server.  (I've already established the secondary server.)

I was worried about the client connections though, as to whether or not they'd be able to get to the correct server automatically (I want to avoid reconfiguring all of the client setups.)  (Like, I have connections via  Outlook '07, Entourage, OWA, OMA,  remote users (RPC over https), and BES.)

I see the post by Mark that says it will be seamless, but I am wondering if there is some more that I can read on this subject.

Thanks!

(in reply to oxide54)
Post #: 4
RE: Server Rebuild - 3.Dec.2009 10:00:50 AM   
uemurad

Not sure what else you want to know.  When Outlook launches, it asks Active Directory for the mailbox server holding the user's mailbox.  That's why when you are creating a new Outlook profile, you can enter the name of any of your Exchange Mailbox servers.  When you click Check Name, it will resolve for you.

So, after a mailbox is moved, your client should be able to launch Outlook and have it connect without noticing any difference.

OWA will be seamless if your clients are connecting to a Front-End server.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to instant000)
Post #: 5
RE: Server Rebuild - 3.Dec.2009 10:10:25 AM   
instant000

quote:

ORIGINAL: uemurad

Not sure what else you want to know.  When Outlook launches, it asks Active Directory for the mailbox server holding the user's mailbox.  That's why when you are creating a new Outlook profile, you can enter the name of any of your Exchange Mailbox servers.  When you click Check Name, it will resolve for you.

So, after a mailbox is moved, your client should be able to launch Outlook and have it connect without noticing any difference.

I did not know this.  You taught me something.  I never had an environment with multiple Exchange servers to support before, so I wasn't familiar with this.  (I'm far from an Exchange guru, everything I know is from encountering problems, and then fixing them.) 

quote:

OWA will be seamless if your clients are connecting to a Front-End server.

I don't have a front-end server.  So, hrm ... I see what the issue is, though, as the OWA works through the http connection to the Exchange server.  How can I address my OWA users?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: Server Rebuild - 3.Dec.2009 1:56:44 PM   
uemurad

quote:

everything I know is from encountering problems, and then fixing them
Welcome to the club!  That's how most Exchange Admins learn - Messaging is rarely if ever a conscious career choice.

quote:

How can I address my OWA users?
You must have set up a FQDN (e.g. https://mail.yourcompany.com) for outside connectivity - right?  All you have to do is point that to your Front-End server when it's in place.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to instant000)
Post #: 7
RE: Server Rebuild - 3.Dec.2009 2:14:18 PM   
instant000

OK.

I see what you mean.

Example:

OWA or RPC/HTTP user connects to
mail.domain.com

which internally gets translated to
exchangebackend.domain.local

The MAPI client connects internally, and gets taken care of through some hocus-pocus process.  As I think the BES connects in a similar way, it should get taken care of likewise.

So, based on this, I think the migration will take this path:

current state:
mail.domain.com
translates to
exchange1.domain.local

interim state:
mail.domain.com
translates to
exchange1.domain.local
and then have an additional server
exchange2.domain.local (beefier server, more disk space, mailboxes get migrated here)

testing state:
mail.domain.com
translates to
exchangefrontend.domain.local (new server I make)
also have
exchange1.domain.local (turn off and on againt to test)
and
exchange2.domain.local

final state:
mail.domain.com
translates to
exchangefrontend.domain.local
and  have
exchange2.domain.local as the backend server

Does this look appropriate?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: Server Rebuild - 3.Dec.2009 4:38:26 PM   
uemurad

The "translations" you speak of are all DNS queries.  When your remote system attempts to connect to mail.domain.com (for OWA), the public DNS will return a publicly routable IP address.

When your internal clients want to connect to <ExchServer>, your internal DNS will return an IP address - typically a private IP address (not routable across the public Internet).

This is an important distinction because you may have to update two separate DNS systems.

My suggestion would be to first build the Front-End (FE) system in the existing Exchange Organization.  For OWA access, if you are using an SSL certificate, it links the FQDN (mail.domain.com) with the public IP address.  If you change the IP address, you'd have to get a new certificate.  In that case, it may be easier to move the public IP address to the FE and install the certificate there.  By pointing mail.domain.com to your FE server, OWA users will connect without having to make any changes.

Second, build the new Back-End (BE) server in the existing Exchange Organization.  Each mailbox moved will reconnect to the new server automatically when Outlook is launched.  Also, since OWA users connect the to FE server (because of creating it first), it won't matter which of the BE servers the mailbox lives on.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to instant000)
Post #: 9
RE: Server Rebuild - 4.Dec.2009 4:22:03 AM   
instant000

Thanks.

Yeah, I already faced that issue when attempting to use OWA to a relocated mailbox today. (it wanted to connect directly to that mail server, which isn't what I'd ideally want, so the front-end would satisfy this scenario better.)

Now, I just have to figure out the mystery of why the BES didn't continue to automatically work for a relocated user, but I read something about restaring services or something.  If' you or someone else has already dealt with the issue of getting BES to recognized relocated users, great,  I think I'll post this issue on the blackberry forums.

Thanks!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 10
RE: Server Rebuild - 4.Dec.2009 4:54:26 AM   
instant000

I found my answer.

1.  Run the BES Utility:  iemstest.exe, from the command prompt.  (If you just click on it, you won't see the command output, as it sends it to a command window.)

(Source:  http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/52940-moved-user-mailbox-broke-blackberry.html )

In accordance with that link above, the problem was in creating a folder within the mailbox, which immediately pointed to permissions.  (Note that this problem wasn't exhibited on server 01, only the new server02, when the mailbox was moved.)

2.  Assign Exchange Server permissions (these must be assigned to each Exchange Server that has the mailboxes on it.)

(Source:  KB02276 in the blackberry technicial solution center:  http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02276

An Excerpt from that link:
To assign Microsoft Exchange Server permissions at the Microsoft Exchange Server level, complete the following steps:
For Microsoft Exchange 2000 or 2003
  1. Click Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange > System Manager.
  2. Select Administrative Groups > First Administrative Group > Servers.
  3. Right-click the Microsoft Exchange Server name and then click Properties.
  4. On the Security tab, select the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account.
  5. Select the following permissions from the Permissions list:

• Administer Information Store
    • Send As
    • Receive As

6. Click the Advanced button.
  7. Verify that the Select the Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object and all child objects option is selected.
  8. Click OK.
  9. Repeat the preceding steps for each Microsoft Exchange Server that will host mailboxes within the routing group.

3.  Run the iemstest.exe again ... it still failed.

4.  Restart the blackbery services (I attempted this, but nothing happened to help out, LOL.)

5.  Run the iemstest.exe again ... it still failed.

6..  Dismount and remount the information store (on the store containing your mailbox, on the exchange server you just modified the perms on)

7.  Run the iemstest.exe again ... finally successful all the way through.

8.  The blackberry device can successfully activate (Yeah, silly me, I did all this wiping the handheld and stuff, but if you look at one of the higher links, it wasn't necessary.)

9.  I'll do further tests at this point, but at least now I proved to myself that the blackberry device can work (provided the exchange server has the proper permissions on it.)

Thanks for all of your help.  If I'm posting again, it'll probably be about trying to work out the kinks for the front-end server, but that'll be for a few hours. ... Don't know why I woke up so early and got onto this, maybe it was a dream I had, but at least I got past this hurdle.

Thanks again.

(in reply to instant000)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Server Rebuild Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter