• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Server specification

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Server specification Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Server specification - 9.Dec.2009 10:20:55 AM   
4d

Dear all

I am looking to deploy a 2 Node CCR install of exchange 2007 for 120 users requiring no more than 5gb of space per user mailbox.

I would like to install each node on a server running VMware ESXi 4.0 as the hypervisor and each server will host 4 windows server 2008 64Bit virtual machines.

1, A DC
2, A File server cluster node
3, A Hub transport & Client Access server
4, An Exchange CCR node

I have built and tested the environment on some standard dell boxes just for proof of concept however I am looking for some advice as to the spec of the server required for each node.

Please could you offer your opinions on the Processor(s) & RAM you think each of these servers should have to support the exchange and domain environment described above for 120 users?

My other query is regarding storage space. If I am to host the suggested environment above I feel I will need roughly 2tb of storage space (total on each server) to be well within limits.

Should each of the 2 servers host the operating systems on a mirrored volume and then the exchange databases & log files on a separate Raid 5 set in the same physical server or should I host everything on one 2tb raid 5 set in each server.

I hope my questions have been made as clear as possible and I look forward to any replies. Please note the file server nodes (mentioned above) will be looking to a SAN but I would like to host the exchange databases & log files in a CCR configuration on both of these host servers and just locate the file share witness on the SAN.

Many Thanks

Ben

< Message edited by 4d -- 9.Dec.2009 10:24:47 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Server specification - 9.Dec.2009 10:47:48 AM   
clementrosario

HP DL servers,  should help you

(in reply to 4d)
Post #: 2
RE: Server specification - 9.Dec.2009 11:14:38 AM   
4d

Hi,

Thanks

I was really hoping for suggestions\Opinions on the components required to support the proposed environment comfortably.

Processor –
1, 1 or 2 processors
2, GHz speed
3, branding Xenon etc

Ram-
1, Quantity (Gigabytes) to support the proposed environment comfortably
2, Speed (Mhz\ddr2-ddr3) to support the proposed environment comfortably

And then in terms of storage the question as posed in the first post-
“If I am to host the suggested environment above I feel I will need roughly 2tb of storage space (total on each server) to be well within limits.
Should each of the 2 servers host the operating systems on a mirrored volume and then the exchange databases & log files on a separate Raid 5 set in the same physical server or should I host everything on one 2tb raid 5 set in each server.”

Cheers

Ben

(in reply to clementrosario)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Server specification Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter