• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Setting up a relay for internal server?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Setting up a relay for internal server? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Setting up a relay for internal server? - 14.Jan.2010 2:36:56 PM   
Tony414

Hello,

Being new to Exchange I'm find more and more things I need to know...
I have an internal server (10.81.0.7) that needs to be allowed to email from the exchange server. Not even sure if I'm saying that correctly :) Anyway, The vendor of the software package we use said that I need to have relaying enabled to allow that server to do this. I'm not exactly sure what to do. I'm in the receive connectors location. I'm just lost... Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Tony
Post #: 1
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 14.Jan.2010 4:36:01 PM   
Jesper Bernle

A great article on the subject is this - Exchange Server 2007: How To Allow Relaying

(in reply to Tony414)
Post #: 2
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 20.Jan.2010 5:12:41 PM   
VijayaRelangovan

Follow this article. This is pretty much straight forward
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx

(in reply to Tony414)
Post #: 3
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 27.Jan.2010 8:00:41 AM   
lostinparkville

I have a similar problem in that I'm trying to route mail via Exchange 2007 onSBS 2008 but in my case the box WAS set up as the Authorative mail handler for the domain, I made it an Internal Relay to get it to route out correctly. It would route local email directly into the email boxes on the local unit and not out to the front end receive host at Gmail for the domain. We want to use Exchange as a send only server for our domain and we DO use the POP3 connector to bring the mail down to the local users. Is this possible with rules or am I stuck? I love the new front end, it's vastly better built than Version 5 and having the tools in one place is nice. Thanks for any help.

(in reply to VijayaRelangovan)
Post #: 4
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 27.Jan.2010 8:06:36 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

Please break down your question like

1. What configuration you have
2. What would you like to acheive

With regards,
VJ
MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging
http://learnmsexchange.wordpress.com/

(in reply to lostinparkville)
Post #: 5
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 27.Jan.2010 8:32:21 AM   
lostinparkville

Vijaya,
Thanks, and sorry for running on. We have our email hosted at gmail for the domain alliancec3.com. We added SBS 2008  with the domain alliance.local and our internal users use outlook 2003 to connect to it. The people that configured exchange put in an accepted domain alliance.local with an email address policy that overwrites the alliance.local email address with alliancec3.com and the Exchange server was set to authorative for alliancec3.com. This would not allow exchange to put the email from the locals into the gmail boxes. I set up a new accepted domain with alliancec3.com as an internal relay, that allowed exchange to send with a valid internet email addree to prevent denials. I still have the issue of exchange not putting the email out in the gmail boxes. We wanyt Exchange to be a send only relay for the outlook users and suse the pop3 connector to bring it down. Coming from the linux side of thing order of application of routing rules is different to be kind. Thanks again.  Mike

Post #: 6
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 27.Jan.2010 9:26:55 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

I got only a part of the configuration, i will try to answer the queries.

I guess that your pop3 users cannot relay the message through the Exchange server.
When a pop3 user tries to drop an email to your server, its like making a telnet connection, your exchange server list the verbs. From the list of verbs that is displayed, your outlook(machine) will choose what type of authentication that it has to make, either anonymous or authenticated user, ideally it should be authenticated user.
"The relay will happen only when the authentication is successful else it fails".

The point is, if a POP USER cannot relay the message through the Exchange server, then the first thing that you need to check is
1. Accepted domain
2. Permission groups (Exchange users should be checked)

With regards,
VJ

Post #: 7
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 27.Jan.2010 9:55:55 AM   
lostinparkville

Vijaya,
Thanks again for the quick post. Here's what I'm trying to do,
1. Internal users using outlook 2k3 to access the exchange server with normal exchange mailboxes. This works.
2. Exchange SBS POP3 connector gets outside email from gmail accounts for domain alliancec3.com and dump that into Exchange email boxes. This works fine.
3. Internal and Term server/OWA user send outbound email using Exchange instead of gmail SMTP to alliancec3.com mailboxes on gmail and copy internal boxes or vice versa. This is needed due to limits on SMTP at gmail.
4. Allow outbound relay from devices on the local network like FAX machines that do not support SSL etc. This I get with the MS and other posts on receive connectors.

At the moment the users must check mail boxes with OWA if they use the gmail web page for email to get "non forwarded" emails put in the local boxes by Exchange.

Thanks again for your quick response.  Mike

Post #: 8
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 27.Jan.2010 10:20:16 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

At the moment the users must check mail boxes with OWA

"if they use the gmail web page for email to get "non forwarded" emails put in the local boxes by Exchange."

I find hard to understand the above statement.
1. Do you want all the emails to be forwarded to the gmail account?(or)
2. Do you want all the emails from gmail to be forwarded to your exchange server?

With regards,
VJ

Post #: 9
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 27.Jan.2010 10:42:23 AM   
lostinparkville

Vijaya,
  Sorry, I thought I was clear on that. We want Exchange to forward emails from the local users (uname@alliancec3.com) on the alliance.local domain to be routed to the gmail servers as well as to the local account inbox. Inbound email outside the building goes to the gmail servers now as it is authoritative for the domain alliancec3.com.
  Since the exchange server routes the accepted domain emails to the local accounts the users outside the building have to use owa to get the email that was not sent to the gmail servers. Hope this explains the issue. Thanks again, Mike

Post #: 10
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 27.Jan.2010 11:55:35 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

Its fairly simple,
1. Create a contact and add your user's gmail addr
2. From EMC, from the properties of the user account, Choose message delivery options and choose the option "Forward" and add the contact
3. Check the box down below "Leave a copy on the server"

With regards,
VJ

Post #: 11
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 27.Jan.2010 3:46:41 PM   
lostinparkville

Vijaya,
Ok, but my users all have the @alliancec3.com email address in AD and Exchange. Are you saying to remove the alias in the email template and then add the users as contacts globally and set the delivery option to do this?

To be completely clear on what is happening now the users in the building have uname@alliancec3 accounts on the Exchange/SBS server, if say toms@alliancec3.com sends an email via his Outlook on his desktop thru the Exchange server(it's an exchange account) the way it is now to Bobs@alliancec3.com the email will be routed to the mailbox on the exchange box even though bobs and toms both have their email accounts on the gmail servers at alliancec3.com. That's why when bobs being on the road using his gmail.alliancec3.com account does not get the email from toms because it's sitting in a local inbox on the Exchange/SBS server not on the google servers. I hope that clears it up.
So if I remove the alias and accepted domain and use the default settings I get rejects because the receivers of the email won't accept alliance.local as the sending domain since it's not an inet domain. Will I have to set up another domain just to send mail for the inhouse users?
Thanks again for your patience and help on this I hope I don't seem like I reinventing the wheel here.  Mike.

Post #: 12
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 28.Jan.2010 2:08:52 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

When tom sends an email to bobs@alliancec3.com, it has to reach both bob's mail box on this server and gmail.alliancec3.com account

1.For this create a contact with internal addr as bob@allicance3.com and the external address as bob3@gmail.alliance3.com

2. On the Exchange management Console, go the properties of the Bobs account and Message Delivery options and add newly created contact to the "Forwads", and Check the box leave a copy on the server.

By doing this, Bob's alliance3.com and gmail.alliance3.com will recieve emails

With regards,
VJ

Post #: 13
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 28.Jan.2010 8:31:33 AM   
lostinparkville

Vijaya,
The issue is that gmail.alliancec3.com is the web address for the email web front end, the MX for alliancec3.com points the the gmail servers not the exchange box. So both bobs and toms have their external email addresses as @alliancec3.com and that sits on gmail servers. When Exchangs looks at the sender as being at alliancec3.com it sees itself as the alliancec3.com receiver since it's got the settings Accepted Domain set to alliancec3.com as a Internal Relay and the Email address policy set to alias=Alliancec3.com. When I remove those it sends email but they get rejected because alliance.local is not a real domain on the inet. So at the moment all the email addresses for this group on the exchange server have 2alliancec3.com addresses. I get what you're saying about the additional contact but until the AD email addresses are something different it won't allow it. So what do I do to fix that and not get rejects on the world front for bad address unacceptable domain? Thanks again, Mike

Post #: 14
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 28.Jan.2010 8:38:41 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

How about setting External relay for that domain?

With regards,
VJ

Post #: 15
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 28.Jan.2010 8:44:25 AM   
lostinparkville

Vijaya,
This may be the issue, I see that properties on all users on Exchange under the E-Mail address have "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy" as checked. If I uncheck that and then remove the Email Address Template I should be able to use Set As Reply for the alliancec3.com and leave the alliance.local alone and outside servers will see a true email address for each user of  @alliancec3.com even though Exchange will see the real .local address and accept it as well., correct?  Thanks,  Mike

Post #: 16
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 28.Jan.2010 8:47:33 AM   
lostinparkville

Vijaya,
And it is set up to relay "Internal" not as "External" , but I think the Email Template being removed would fix it if I set each user reply to separately. Mike

Post #: 17
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 28.Jan.2010 8:50:33 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

Dont make any changes to the email address policy. Just change that domain name as external relay instead of internal relay.

With regards,
VJ

Post #: 18
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 28.Jan.2010 9:01:03 AM   
lostinparkville

Vijaya,
Ok, but I need to do it tonight since they're into it now and I have to remove the template temporarily to do it, it balked at this before but maybe the template was still applied when I tried it. Thanks again for all your help and patience, as I said on the linux side most of the email programs allow pre-processors for this type of situation and when starting up will tell you if there's another MX out there other than itself and allow for correction. I'll reply as soon as I can test it this evening.  Thanks,  Mike 

Post #: 19
RE: Setting up a relay for internal server? - 28.Jan.2010 7:37:31 PM   
lostinparkville

Vijaya,
Got it! I set up an accepted domain called backend.alliancec3.com and made it the default. This added that domain to all users. I then returned it to alliance.local. At this point I have 3 email addresses available to every user under Recipient Configuration, I went in the each use and unchecked the Automatically update e-mail address based on e-mail address policy and made the @backend.alliancec3.com the Set as Reply and applied. No modification of the Mail Flow Settings was required since the user generated email has a return of @backend.alliancec3.com the exchange server sees the @alliancec3.com destination and processes it as an EXTERNAL address then Exchange replaces the reply to on the outbound side with @alliancec3.com which is allowed as it is in the accepted domain list. Since it leave the building it does not require mail flow adjustment. I could not get the mail flow picker to allow me to chose a contact added to AD and I did not see where you were referring to so please point me in the right direction on that as that would be handy. Thanks again for getting me on the right track on this it's one big issue I wanted off my task list. Oh BTW, the Exchange RecConfig lister and pick screen does not allow multiple mailboxes to be selected at once like they do in AD, I trust they will do that in the next version as that would have allowed me to deselect the Auto update box on all users at once. You're a true guru and teacher.  Mike

Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Setting up a relay for internal server? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter