• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Setting up exchange to use external mail with pop3 connector

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Setting up exchange to use external mail with pop3 connector Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Setting up exchange to use external mail with pop3 conn... - 15.Feb.2007 12:28:49 PM   
AdamCameron

Hello,
 I have setup exchange server to collect  email using a POP3 connector and the mail is being delivered to the individuals mailboxes on exchange. My question is now what do I configure to allow the users to send email externally.  Do I need to setup a SMTP connector and add my ISP as a smarthost? And how would I configure this SMTP connector.

Is the SMTP virtual server just for the exchange server to do local mail transportation. So anything in the internal domain uses this for both sending and
receiving?

Thanks,
   Adam
Post #: 1
RE: Setting up exchange to use external mail with pop3 ... - 16.Feb.2007 12:23:25 PM   
Nicodemius

Hi Adam

If you are using SBS 2003 you will have already have a Small Business Connector to send mail. But if you haven't used the Internet Setup Wizard under Server Management. You can just create a new SMTP Connector under Connections

Right click on Connectors and Click New and Select Smtp Connector.
In the new windows Called your Connector Whatever you want.
Click Add and add your server as the mail server bridge head.
Now you have a choice. You can select Use DNS to route each address space through this connector. But you might get blocked and have issues with some mail servers.
So rather choose forward all mail through this connector to the follow smart hosts.
type in the smtp settings of your internet server provider if they provide you with one. Next click on address space. and click add. Select smtp. Enter in the next option * and cost 1. by entering the asteriks you will send to all domains.
click ok.
The rest of the tabs you can ignore for now.

Then try sending an email and see if it works.

(in reply to AdamCameron)
Post #: 2
RE: Setting up exchange to use external mail with pop3 ... - 18.Feb.2007 10:43:06 AM   
AdamCameron

Hey,
I havn't tried that yet but I just want some more clearification on the whole send/receive process.

Receiving(current):
- The mail server will connect to the POP3 mailboxes using the POP3 connector (listed under Connectors) to get the mail.  Does it then pass it to the local smtp virtual server where the mail is distributed to the local mail boxes?

Sending(current):
- The user send his mail from his work station which is sent to the local smtp virtual server (this is my setup now, and some mail gets out to the real world)

Sending(Your way):
- The user send his email from his local station which is sent to the
local smtp virtual server which then passes it to the "new smtp connector" which uses smarthost which is my local ISP smtp.ips.com. and sends it out with no complaints. :) (I am hoping this will solve all my problems because I am not sure what is sending the mail out right now)

Errors I have been getting:
- I get errors saying back saying my mail was rejected from <external server> because <myserver.mydomain.local> is not known or something (I don't have the error in front of me) 5.1.2 I think was the error. I am curious about the myserver.mydomain.local, could  this be fixed when I start sending mail through my ISP as the smarthost instead of .... whatever is sending the mail out now I guess.

Is this logic correct? Thanks for your help so far.

Thanks,
    Adam

(in reply to Nicodemius)
Post #: 3
RE: Setting up exchange to use external mail with pop3 ... - 20.Feb.2007 5:34:52 AM   
Nicodemius

“Sending(current):
- The user send his mail from his work station which is sent to the local smtp virtual server (this is my setup now, and some mail gets out to the real world)”

When you send an email from the client your SMTP Connector(send) on your server connects to another SMTP Server either via your own DNS which resolves the destination or by specifying a smarthost where they resolve the destination.  
The default smtp virtual server(receive) allows connections to your server.
I think reason why only some email is getting out to the world is because you already have a connector that send emails via your own DNS. This option generally involves problems with your server being blocked cause it not well known or you missing some entries that other servers require in your DNS.

I am not saying it can be done, but there are loads of other things to consider when going this route.
I would recommend that you send your mail through a smarthost as your ISP should be well known, and you run into less problems.
The error
Sending mail through your own DNS would also explain the error your are getting “my mail was rejected from <external server> because <myserver.mydomain.local> is not known or something.”
Recommendation check your connectors. Use the new connector that sends through your ISP and delete the other connector if you have one.  If you need to see which connector is being used to send mail. Check the queue. It should tell you what connector is in use or has been used.
Also when it comes to emails, and you are concerned if they get delivered or not. Enable logging as much as possible. For then you can see if there was any errors when establishing connections.

(in reply to AdamCameron)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Setting up exchange to use external mail with pop3 connector Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter